::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg, I know them--they were from near me in western New York. They were insane, and predates other outrageous bands like GWAR and Slipknot. I guess they never really caught on. I seem to remember they had to change their name to Green Jelly because the jello people complained about infringement.

I was a big fan. Those shows were LOTS of fun. I even got to be on stage once, I was a foam rubber stick of Doublemint gum. I also saw George Went at one of the shows in Hollywood. Yes, they did have to change the name (in print) to Green Jelly but it was still pronounced Green Jell-ö hahahaha. Slam dancing with Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble to "Anarchy in Bedrock" was always hilarious. I think Kenvin would have really enjoyed them.

How could you miss Trader Joe's when you have more varieties of SPAM readily available to you than a person would know what to do with?

Oh, and there is a yearly festival here called SPAM JAM where they have a big block party and have bands and stuff. They also have a cooking competition. Nanilei's dad won one year!

Oh Jon, so glad to hear your weekend improved immensely after a slow start.
Really great story about Ben too.
Sounds like you all made some new friends.

And now I get add some new printer configurations to the EHR system for a customer.

A hui hou!

I don't have any Oahu cases, but I do have two Ko`olau cases, one for my Pono (came with it) and one I purchased for my Milo concert. Very high quality cases, would recommend. I imagine quality is similarly high for both lines as they are both made for (if not by) Ko`olau.

This. My Milo concert was not happy in a number of cases although the Ko`olau case was a perfect fit! If you don't mind returning it (often at your expense shipping-wise) if it does not fit then I say go for it, otherwise try to test-fit it first.

I have no way to test fit my uke to an Oahu case. I may just chat with the HMS folks and see what they think....

You need to sleep more. Most people don't sleep enough. 9 hours is great.

With insomnia a regular schedule is really important. Once you mess up your routine and get off track it's hell.

I'm an insomniac. I'm also a night owl. And I have very little self discipline. That's a really bad combination. I'm always messed up. I can be dog tired but as soon as I lay down, I'm wide awake. I use a lot of melatonin, Benadryl and caffeine to manage. Oh and naps. Naps are great.

I started using melatonin a while back, and I really think it helps!

Loved the story about your weekend, Jon!! When I read it earlier, I was using my iPod Touch. Much easier to reply using my laptop....

Okay, our fantastic weekend in Leavenworth, Washington:

Snipped a fair amount - not because it is not interesting! Just saving space :)

7) And all this brings me to the best story of the weekend. So, while we were filling out our registration paperwork on Saturday I commented to Sheryl that Ben would just love the pen she was using. (Ben is a fanatic for pens - he already has 5 fountain pens that he can give the history of). Michele - one of the owners - commented that she just loves pens too. She said she has a nice fountain pen that she has never been able to get to work right for her. She asked if we would ask Ben for a recommendation for a new one. I texted him and he sent me PARAGRAPHS of recommendations and links to what he would recommend. She was tickled to get the recommendations and immediately tracked down Gary (they've been married 49 years) to tell him to put it on her Christmas list.

Fast forward to the next morning, breakfast time. Michele came to our table with a little box and said, "This is a little awkward, because I don't know if it's a present for your son - if it's broken it's not much of a present, but if he can get it to work I would like him to have the pen that I have had trouble with." We assured her he would be absolutely delighted with it and she was happy as can be to think of a young person (he's 18) who loves pens and handwriting getting her pen and trying to make it work.

We brought it home to him and, as predicted, he was over the moon. The reason it was so exciting? It's a Mont Blanc fountain pen - the value of the pen was somewhat more than we paid for the lodging and breakfast for the entire weekend. He spent hours cleaning it and tinkering with it and got it working perfectly and we have an extremely happy boy now. His first writing project with the new pen was to write a thank-you letter to Michele.

So - to conclude a long story - it was an amazing weekend. If/when we go back to Leavenworth, you can bet we won't even consider anywhere but the Pension Anna for our lodging.

Love this whole episode. Delighted to hear about the mont blanc!
Usually lovely pens IMHO. Looks like you done brung Ben up proper Jon :)

Interesting. On the Oregon coast Slumgulion is chowder with shrimp instead of clams.

I've never known anyone who has heard of it outside my family! Mom says it is like leftover from a ham Sunday dinner kind of thing. I will tell her what you said!

Fountain pens. The only proper way to write.

Congratulations to Ben on his new M B.

Most of my pens have italic nibs. Mont Blancs, Parkers, Pelikans, Auroras, Stipulas, Lamys. It's kind of like me and ukes. Oh yeah, TWSBI, too.

I may have a problem.

Padre, I need spiritual guidance.

Should I buy a Blackbird Clara?

I reconnected with my Rainsong carbon fiber guitar this past week. It sounds *so* good. Makes me think the Blackbird could be for me. If only it weren't so homely...

Of course you should buy one. Great sound. Incredible stability. It just doesn't sound like wood. I have Kala Pearls on it now. Southcoast "Acoustic" set next.

As for homely...sound comes first, don't it? I'm partial to pineapples so it works for me. The ekoa top looks like papyrus, which goes to my profession, so there's that. If you don't like it, send it back.

I grudgingly play it low G, but that's what Sarah teaches. It's the only concert I have that can handle low G.

I think Clara is something special. YMMV.

A homely uke will never leave you...

[G] If you wanna be [C] happy for the rest of your [D] life
Never take a [Bm] pretty uke into your [Em] life
So from my [C] personal point of [D] view
Get an ugly uke to [D7] be with [G] you

Say man.
Hey baby.
I saw your uke the other day.
Yeah?
Yeah, she's uglyyyyyy.
Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can sing.

Last edited: