::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 19!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go back and forth on this.
I do not think killing is OK, so just because they killed someone still does not make it right to kill them.
There are HUGE things I battle with all the time (mentally) like what if someone is threatening you, your spouse/child/etc?
I have had hypothetical conversations where I try to say, "Oh, I would just try to get away or perhaps injure the person so I could get away without killing them" and the reply usually is, they could sue you for assault, they could come back and finish the job... "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

BUT

There are some people that are just evil and will not change. Does it make sense to pay to keep them around for their natural life, housing and feeding them?

I don't think so.

What about the wrongfully accused? Evidence that comes up later and clears someone? Can't un-kill them.

My brain hurts.

One day James went missing (he was hiding under a tarp in the backyard playing hide and seek only we didn't know we were playing) I was on a pure adrenaline rush running up and down our street yelling his name and looking for him in sheer panic. I could tell you I never thought I would be able to kill someone but that day if I had saw someone taking my son I would have ended their life without a second thought.

Kids change everything.

I believe it has been shown that the death penalty is not a deterrent - so that argument is out.

Death sentences result in astronomical costs for appeals - so killing the inmate really doesn't save money - so that argument is out.

Taking into account the feelings of the victims? Well, revenge and justice aren't necessarily compatible with each other. Justice is supposed to be blind, right? Doesn't that mean emotions shouldn't play a part? So that argument is out.

The more I think about it the less I can justify the death penalty.

That makes complete sense to rational, logical me.

But I think that argument is always emotionally based.

But....if someone is put on death row for killing someone, it's done because they KILLED somebody. And we think that is a horrible thing -- killing people, that is. It just seems to me that when we kill those people, we are doing the same thing -- which we find horrible. Lock 'em in a tiny cell, sure, but kill them? We are no better.

But....if someone is put on death row for killing someone, it's done because they KILLED somebody. And we think that is a horrible thing -- killing people, that is. It just seems to me that when we kill those people, we are doing the same thing -- which we find horrible. Lock 'em in a tiny cell, sure, but kill them? We are no better.

I agree. I believe the US is the only "Western" country that still has a death penalty.

No rules?

Short term: run around the house bare-footed.

Long term: make travel plans for the first week of June, 2015....

No rules?

Short term: run around the house bare-footed, playing the ukulele with abandon.

Long term: make travel plans for the first week of June, 2015....after the epic porch jam!!

not fixed, but added for you

You guys got me looking up all kinds of things today. China leads the world in executions and execute people for a list of things including child rape and embezzlement, several American countries have the death penalty but most haven't used it for over 10 years. They can still stone people in Iran. Yemen can execute you for adultery. Saudi Arabia can decapitate you for being gay.

Last edited:
You guys got me looking up all kinds of things today. China leads the world in executions and execute people for a list of things including child rape and embezzlement, several American countries have the death penalty but most haven't used it for over 10 years. They can still stone people in Iran. Yemen can execute you for adultery. Saudi Arabia can decapitate you for being gay.

Public stoning, that's old school!

With the current appeals process, it costs more to kill someone than to house them for life.

Mine is still super cloudy so I'm going to let it stew for another day or two before I check it again.

i read about cold crashing. I used a keg holder filled with ice water then added liter bottles that were frozen to it the last week of my october fest, I think it cleared up cause of that

I go back and forth on this.
I do not think killing is OK, so just because they killed someone still does not make it right to kill them.
There are HUGE things I battle with all the time (mentally) like what if someone is threatening you, your spouse/child/etc?
I have had hypothetical conversations where I try to say, "Oh, I would just try to get away or perhaps injure the person so I could get away without killing them" and the reply usually is, they could sue you for assault, they could come back and finish the job... "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

BUT

There are some people that are just evil and will not change. Does it make sense to pay to keep them around for their natural life, housing and feeding them?

I don't think so.

What about the wrongfully accused? Evidence that comes up later and clears someone? Can't un-kill them.

My brain hurts.

As Monty Python teaches, "Every Sperm is Sacred." Life must win, even in these lose/lose scenarios. Having the right answer on hand is impractical. We make mistakes. We live with them. Maybe we die for them.

Caution, Faith Statement follows...
What I like about Christianity, beyond the imperatives of love & peace, is that there is a Way which leads to reconciliation of relationships both worldy and eternal.

YMMV

Here endeth the Lesson

I believe it has been shown that the death penalty is not a deterrent - so that argument is out.

Death sentences result in astronomical costs for appeals - so killing the inmate really doesn't save money - so that argument is out.

Taking into account the feelings of the victims? Well, revenge and justice aren't necessarily compatible with each other. Justice is supposed to be blind, right? Doesn't that mean emotions shouldn't play a part? So that argument is out.

The more I think about it the less I can justify the death penalty.

Hell, I'm having trouble justifying watching football this season because of the on- and off-field violence, not to mention the long term health dangers to players. My tidy Christian sensibilities are way too active right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom