CA glue as pore filler and finish?

With Chuck's method, I found Star Bond and Bounty paper towels to be the key. Follow Chuck's directions and it's a great system. It's the way I've been filling for over a year now.

Aqua Coat looks interesting, but what do they mean by "Minimal shrinkage"? I'll pick some up and use in on my next "loaner" uke to see what it'll look like in a year's time.
After talking to Michael DaSilva last month, I'm going to be trying UV curing for grain fill this fall on two ukes I'm making for myself. To me, it sounds like it could be the Holy Grail of filling.

I liked the results I got with the CA but man, that stuff is nasty. I ordered a can of the Aqua Coat yesterday and will give it a try.
FlyFish, the "minimal shrinkage" statement caught my attention too!

The only problem with the UV system is the $1500-$2000 (or is it more?) you have to pay for the lamp then more bulbs..........

Michael said his system was about $2000 and that was enough to deter me from something I just wanted to try. And I don't really have to buff out a uke five minutes after I clear it. I can wait til the next day. But, my brother bought a UV curing system to cure primer on cars during the winter months here. So that makes it a minimal investment for me to try.

I'm typing on an iPhone so I'll make my reply brief. It'll be weeks before power and Internet are restored to most folks here.
I've used ca as a pore filler for many years and I'll never regret doing so. It's cut my finishing time in half and the end result is far superior to anything else I've tried. Yes, the fumes can be an irritant to the year and throat but my research has shown that the health threat is similar to pepper spray, an irritant but not toxic. Still, I always figure if it smells bad it's trying to kill me and when using ca glue I use all the same precautions that I do when spraying lacquer. The easiest thing is to work outside with either a fan or the wind blowing the fumes away from you. It's easy since doing an entire uke only tales less than two minutes.
I fold up 2" squares of Bounty paper towels and spread a squiggle of glue over the surface quickly. Three coats can be applied and sanded within an hour or so. Those who have followed my method exactly have become instant fans but it's not for everyone. You have to work quickly, precisely and with confidence. A run or a drip will ruin your day. It needs to be applied thinly and evenly. I'm happy to give anyone my hand out on my procedure ( or get a subscription to the GAL magazine and read about it there. Email me @ moorebettahukes@aol.com. It may take me a while to follow through as normal means of communication are pretty tough at the moment.

I'm typing on an iPhone so I'll make my reply brief. It'll be weeks before power and Internet are restored to most folks here.
I've used ca as a pore filler for many years and I'll never regret doing so. It's cut my finishing time in half and the end result is far superior to anything else I've tried. Yes, the fumes can be an irritant to the year and throat but my research has shown that the health threat is similar to pepper spray, an irritant but not toxic. Still, I always figure if it smells bad it's trying to kill me and when using ca glue I use all the same precautions that I do when spraying lacquer. The easiest thing is to work outside with either a fan or the wind blowing the fumes away from you. It's easy since doing an entire uke only tales less than two minutes.
I fold up 2" squares of Bounty paper towels and spread a squiggle of glue over the surface quickly. Three coats can be applied and sanded within an hour or so. Those who have followed my method exactly have become instant fans but it's not for everyone. You have to work quickly, precisely and with confidence. A run or a drip will ruin your day. It needs to be applied thinly and evenly. I'm happy to give anyone my hand out on my procedure ( or get a subscription to the GAL magazine and read about it there. Email me @ moorebettahukes@aol.com. It may take me a while to follow through as normal means of communication are pretty tough at the moment.

Glad you and yours are OK, Chuck.

The Aqua Coat may be similar to CrystaLac, a product I used to get from McFeely's. Being water based it will shrink back. It's discouraging to think you've done a good job pore filling only to find that in six months it looks as if you've done nothing at all. But honestly I don't know why we are so obsessed with mirror finishes. I guess life's not hard enough as it is. ;)

Hi,
Sounds interesting and I will give it a go. Is "bounty paper towel" just everyday kitchen paper towel on a roll? I don't think we get that brand in Australia so I thought I'd better ask first.

cheers

Paul

Yes, it is a "kitchen paper towel on a roll" but I'm pretty sure Chuck has specifically chosen that brand. I think he said it has the highest cotton content, actually I may not be recalling his words correctly so don't quote me. He does specify the brand he prefers for the best, most uniform application though. I'm sure he will clarify when he gets a chance to get back on line.

It works great by he way, I'm one of the instant converts he spoke of. :)

works for me

Just finishing the polishing of 4 sopranos where I used CA as the filler under nitro and the results are really impressive. I had some Loctite 401 and 406 on hand and tried both. The 401 set far to quickly to smear around but the 406 worked a treat. The fumes are horrible and I ended up wearing an organic respirator and monogoggles. Two coats, light sand, another coat and then sanded to 400 prior to spraying worked for me. I think I used about 20 grams per uke.
I had previously been grain filling with the west system 105/206 epoxy but this approach is much better. I noticed with the epoxy that if I wasn't very careful with brushing out any of the epoxy sanding dust from and partially filled pores the next coat of epoxy would turn the dust white which would show through the final finish. CA is more crystalline so it sands cleaner and any dust is invisibly absorbed into the next coat.
I needed to get some more CA and had a look on ebay. The Loctite CA's aren't that expensive but I saw this stuff from China for $1.50 for 20 grams delivered and decided to try it out. It is a fair bit thinner than 406 and would work really well wicking into cracks. It dries hard and sands just as well as 406 on a few little trials that I did. I tried it as a grain filler on some raw walnut and it seemed to have a slightly longer working time than 406 which was good but being thinner I might need 4 or 5 coats to do the same job. For the price it seems very good value and I'll be getting some more although Ill be testing it extensively for yellowing and shrinkage before using it s a grain filler.
cheers
Paul

SAM_1932.jpg

Well, there you go. Glad it worked for you. I've used it on over 500 ukes and it continues to impress me.
Buy Starbond EM-150 from CPH international online. About 30 bucks a pint.

Thanks for all the info, did some scales for a skinner awhile back, think I'll try it. Working on my first...

Last edited:
Top Bottom