Ohana TK-35G vs Mainland Tenor Mahagony vs Kala?

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am considering purchase of a new solid tenor ukulele around 300$. There are not many choices here in the Czech Republic. I can't just go to a "local music store” and get my hands on a few tenors to see which suits the best. I've been playing Ohana TK-20CE for a few months but I'd like to get solid wood instrument. Since I am quite happy with my Ohana (after lowering the action) I called to the biggest store around here and asked them if they could order TK-35G for me - It will take them like 2-3 months to get it here, yet it's a good price and the instrument seems pretty decent. The other possibility is to order Mainland tenor mahogany, which would be like 100$ more but it doesn't matter at all - the quality of tone and overall is at the first place. From what I have seen so far - my Ohana TK-20CE is pretty well done. I had an opportunity to get my hands on Mainland tenor uke and I must say my concrete piece of Ohana is built way more precise which was something I did not really expect. I'm pretty sure ukes differ piece to piece though.

Do you guys have any experience that you can share so I could make my mind and finally choose my next instrument? I am probably able to order some of Kala tenors too.

Every tip and shared experience is appreciated! I am an ukulele noob.
Thanks in advance!

Not sure you can go wrong with either the Ohana or the Mainland you have looked at. If you throw Kala into the mix, it depends on which model you are looking at. There's a new all solid Kala slot head okoume tenor out that seems like a great sounding uke for a great price. Since tone is your primary concert (it isn't exactly a "beauty" except in it's functionality: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-smlt-new-lite-series-tenor-slothead-solid-okoume-wood.html

Last edited:
Depending on where you are in the Czech Republic, you might be able to meet up with Ben (who speaks Czech fluently and, among other things, has an online ukulele store) and try out some different ones.
He's the guy who organized the fantastic 2014 Czech ukulele festival.

His webstore is here; I bought a very nice Mainland Mango concert from him a week and a half ago.

He is lovely to deal with and has a real passion for the uke.

If the okoume tenor is the Kala "Lite" tenor then I've heard some less than favorable feedback. A lot of people seem to like the solid top Kala ATP-CT and FMTG (which HMS has for $277, although I don't know if they ship to the CR). I've played the ATP and it sounded pretty good to my ears, even with the laminate back and sides. The higher end Ohana's that I've played sound nice, but I thought the lower-end models (like the TK-20) were a bit overbuilt and lacking in volume. Have you looked at the Ohana TK-38 or the Pono AT (if you can find someone who will ship to you)?

Last edited:
I've got both a Kala spalted maple tenor and a Mainland classic mahogany tenor. The Mainland is the better instrument hands down!

Part of the problem was that the Kala had a poor setup from the start. However, the folks at Mainland spend a LOT of time getting the setup right before shipping it out. I've no experience at all with Ohana.

Definitely go with the Mainland.

If the okoume tenor is the Kala "Lite" tenor then I've heard some less than favorable feedback. A lot of people seem to like the solid top Kala ATP-CT and FMTG (which HMS has for $277, although I don't know if they ship to the CR). I've played the ATP and it sounded pretty good to my ears, even with the laminate back and sides. The higher end Ohana's that I've played sound nice, but I thought the lower-end models (like the TK-20) were a bit overbuilt and lacking in volume. Have you looked at the Ohana TK-38 or the Pono AT (if you can find someone who will ship to you)?

This Kala post sure makes it look like they might be one in the same!!!! http://www.kalabrand.com/PR/11.01.2012MahogLites.html
One day it's the "solid mahogany lite", the next, "all solid okoume." Am I missing something?

In it's price range, I'm a huge Pono fan.

Last edited:
After reading and listening to a lot of samples, I am choosing between TK-35G and KALA ASAC T.

Kala is almost 1/3 more money. Is that worth it?

Thanks for opinions!

Tough call. Ohana TK35G a great uke in it's price range, mellower sound than the Acacia Kala. Lots of price variations out there on that Kala, I'd shop around.

After my experience with Ohana and Kala, I find a lot of differences, even between models of the same brand. I have two Kalas that I like, but my Ohana blows them both outta the water.

I recently bought an Ohana, and fervent researcher that I am, came up with the fact that Ohana and Mainland are indeed built by the same factory in China. So I think what you're paying for with Mainland is a caring set up, while they should essentially have the same construction.

I have no expirence with Kala or Mainland (although one is on my short list for my next uke), but I just bought an Ohana SK-25 and I am extremely impressed! It might be a little overbuilt, but it still sings nicely (especially after I changed to Martin strings). I would purchase another Ohana without a second thought.

Being built in the same factory may mean that the body molds are the same, but not much more. I'd be interested to hear from hoosierhiver about actual differences.

I would get an Ohana TK-35G. I have one with a cutaway and I just love it. All Ohana 'ukuleles also does a caring set up on everything that leaves their warehouse. Since you are in the Czech Republic, I would send a PM to Ken Middleton on where the nearest dealer is or send him an e-mail directly at ken@ohana-music.com since he is located in the UK and he's been to the Czech Uke Fest multiple times. I'm positive he can help you out somehow on getting one.

Here's Ken's review on the Ohana TK-35G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SxA1D6Odk

And I wouldn't bother looking at any Kala's.

Last edited:
Why does everyone presume they know about the manufacturers? This conjecture gets passed around as fact way too often.

Ben, who puts on the Czech Ukulele Fest every year, is a Mainland dealer.
Czech Ukulele Festival
Ben Anderson
Pod kapličkou 203/20
Únětice
252 62
Czech republic

Ben Anderson
e-mail: ukefest@email.cz
tel: +420 602 267 684

Top Bottom