Season 130 - Reggae vibes

Goodluck with the summer kitchen! "No oven - no pie" is a great one!! You should find a minute and record one more!! :)

Well I have another Marley *Flashback* and also some advice on performing on the Uke by the inimitable Jimmy McGee.
which goes a long way to explain why the song is done in a Scottish accent.

Parents of college-age kids who finally make it into the workforce may appreciate this. I wrote it one hot day when I was home by the pool and my son had texted me saying how hard his work was. It's as close to Reggae as I'll ever get.....

Summertime by Fred Grubb

It's summertime and I'm by the pool
It's summertime and I'm no fool
My son is workin' but I am cool
It's summertime and I'm by the pool

The leaves are turning and I don't care
The leaves are turning, the wind's in my hair
My son is working, he thinks it's not fair
The leaves are turning and I don't care

The snow is falling and I've got my skis
The snow is falling and I'm so at ease
My son is workin' and he's displeased
The snow is falling and I've got my skis

Spring is here, gonna watch those Sox*
Spring is here, maybe count my stocks
My son is workin in the school of hard knocks
Spring is here, gonna watch those Sox

*For those of you abroad this refers to watching the Boston Red Sox baseball team.

This is a theme near and dear to my heart. I'd love to do a ton of songs this week. Probably won't have time for more than this unfortunately.
By the way, TCK does a great radio show once a week and he often plays Reggae, tons of wonderful stuff I've never heard before. I think if you just go to Podomatic.com and look for The Songs Stuck In My Head you'll find it.

Here's some Peter Tosh:

10cc is one of my favorite bands, and I've never tackled one of their songs before. With the reggae theme, "Dreadlock Holiday" is the obvious choice--I don't like being obvious, so here's my take on "I'm Not in Love" instead.

Yeti&Kira. I have PMed you but perhaps you have not seen it. Please contact me with your address so I can send you the special cling that one of our winners, Linda L. bequeathed to you from the puppets and parodies season. :) It's so cute your just gonna love it! Your entry BTW was out of this world, perhaps in another galaxy in the "Purrfect World"!

bird's eye view of my ukelele
Instead of upstroke use the down motion and double your moves!
okay................

i tried but i can't do down strums very well :(

however i did manage to double my moves :D well - half the time.

doubling my moves - half the time - takes me back to where i started surely?! :eek:

oh well i tried! it's kinda like rubbing your tummy with one hand and patting your head with the other - i can double my strums but only when i'm not singing!

still, here's the best i can do, it's a small and very humble homemade songlet, sorta reggae, or trying to be...

"little painted uke"

i seem to be playing my little painted uke all the time right now, and i've noticed a lot of people have used their little painted ukes for videos recently, and so i wanted to write a little sorta-reggae song in praise of my and indeed everyone's little painted ukes

I got to play and sign the LWU for this season with pa.
The song is a Ben Harper song called with My Own Two Hands.
I only learnt it today.

Here's my first attempt at Reggae, and thank you Yeti & Kira for the opportunity.
This is a classic Greg Allman song - Midnight Rider - done with a Reggae feel, that I first heard here in Australia by Ross Wilson, and which, as it turned out, was not very similar to how my version sounds.
Investigation for this attempt showed me that Paul Davidson did it in a reggae style back in 1975. I had never heard of him or his version before this, and it also is not very similar to mine.
Hope you like it. I had fun.

Last edited:
Entry Number 1 from me.
UB40 did do a reggae version of this classic but although I do like UB40 I didn't really like their version of this song. I seem to remember many many years ago hearing a great reggae version sung by a female but can't find any record of it so I may have dreamt it. Anyway, here it is.

Count along Linda ;-)

On the road and didn't think I would get a chance to do an entry, but can't help doing a little Jonathan Richman.

A peculiar little Peter Tosh number. The title refers to horsing around or goofing off in Jamaican patois some of the time. However, since it also means something like catching and pitching Touch seems to be using the more physical, intimate meaning of the term.

Terri and I got to hang out with him and Sly and Robbie backstage for a while once but they didn't really seem to want outsiders around. Robbie Shakespeare is still the most amazing bass player I've ever heard outside of some of the jazz greats.

Last edited:
It's the old fat white guys attempt. Poor reggae but want to get something out here and now I'll work on improving.

Repost of my 1st entry - mine disappeared too UkeyDave! Sublime is not a reggae band but their music is obviously heavily influenced by it. I love me some Sublime!

Seems my entry 2 and entry 3 from yesterday have disappeared from the thread. Anyone else? :deadhorse:

Might be a casualty of the forum attack and the administrators' valiant battle to resurrect it. Dave and Mark, thanks for re-posting!

Everybody else, please check anything you posted yesterday afternoon ... and re-post if you find it missing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom