Acacia Tenor

Vincent H

Reaction score
Hey all, I was looking for some advice between three ukuleles. Im looking at the kala asac-t, pono AT, and pono ATD. Im leaning towards the ponos but just wanted too see if for some reason the kala was better. Between the two ponos, is the ATD really worth the extra money?

I can't tell you if the ATD is worth the extra money. I can tell you that my ATD is very nice: perfect finish, lush tone (low G), nice action. The adjustable truss neck is a great feature that both Ponos share.

i have the kala asac-t and like it a lot. i think the pono is probably a little better quality, but i've never had one so i can't help you there. the kala is very nice, i think, and i'm happy with it.

I have a Kala Acacia Tenor and a Pono Concert Acacia Deluxe. The Kala has Worth Browns on and the Pono has Mahanas, and I think that's what's making the most difference at the moment in terms of the sound + playability for me (the mahanas are higher tension). My Kala came set up and was perfect to play instantly, but the Pono has a slight rattle at the saddle when the C string is plucked hard (I'm going to get it checked out) and the higher tension strings are more difficult for me: having said that, some people say the Ponos are quiet, but mine is very loud. I think the main difference long term (when I've sorted out my Pono's teething problems) is going to be that the Kala has a good bass response and a mellow sound, while the Pono is going to sound more balanced and refined. I love them both btw!

For solid acacia, how does the Lehua tenor compare to the two you mention. It has a 17.5 mm scale and all "trim" is wood.

I have a Lehua soprano long neck. Not sure about the present, but in the past, their friction tuners haven't been great and they came with a plastic nut and saddle. The finish is just ok. If you can get a deal on one (I traded for mine) you can easily change tuners, nut, and saddle, and polish it up a bit. I'd recommend the Pono over the others. The only "quiet" Ponos I've heard have had "quiet" strings....such as the Mahano's that came on my Pono 6 string refurb from Ko'olau.

The stock Mahana strings weren't to my taste. My ATD found its voice when I put on a Living Water Low G set (all unwound).

For something really different, try Kala Pearl Microwound strings. You can't use a sound hole humidifier because it chafes the winding. But the sound is distinctive and pleasing.

I have a Pono AT and love it. Funny, I was at HMS trying to decide this question two years ago. I'm glad I got the Pono AT. Very nice sound. I use Worth clear or Salvarez mostly. I never got to play the ATD... they are beautiful for sure. Are they worth the extra, yes if you like it. I'd likely do a cutaway if I get another Pono and probably move up to a higher end model to try it. Perhaps radius fretboard. I do really like the matt finish and I believe that the finish really lets this ukulele sing. Trust rod is there if you ever need it. Set up was PERFECT and I've never had to do any adjustments. Nice playing Ukulele. Big + for anything Pono in my books.

As far as I know, the differences between the deluxe and standard Ponos are purely cosmetic. The deluxe models have a really nice gloss finish, which is much more expensive to apply, and an ebony fretboard. They look a little nicer, but don't play or sound any better. Some will argue that a gloss finish actually reduces volume, but as an owner of a deluxe concert Pono I can assure you that, once it opens up, the instrument is plenty loud. If money is tighter than your vanity, I'd go with the AC.

As for Pono vs. Kala, I'd recommend Pono because I find they have a lighter build that results in a more resonant and acoustically balanced tone. Their necks also play really well. The higher end Kalas are very good, but I do think Ponos are a hair better in both playability and sound.

Just get a Pono. Why look at Kala? NO COMPARISON.

Kalas are nice enough instruments, but I believe across the board that Pono quality is superior. Is the ATD worth the extra cost? Only you are able to answer that question. The differences between the AT and ATD are Rosewood vs. Ebony for the fingerboard, bridge, and headplate, and Satin vs. Gloss finish. Do you prefer Ebony over rosewood or a gloss over satin finish? There is your answer.

I have a Kala and I have a Pono, and I have played several models of each across the range. Ponos, in my experience, are consistently better-manufactured instruments than Kalas. The gloss finish on my Pono still looks new, and it is seven years old. My Pono (PKT-1) is one of my favorite instruments to play, and when Dominator played it at UWC a few years ago, he said, "That sure is a beautiful sounding ukulele." So I may be a bit biased. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys!! After reading through all this I narrowed it down to the two ponos. Also I talked to the guys at HMS too and with all that im going for the AT. It really boiled down to cosmetics and the satin finish just does it for me. Now I just have to order it!

congrats enjoy your new uku!

I have a Pono MCD-e and I sure love that gloss finish since it's a rather "plain" looking uke. Not sure you could hear any difference between the gloss and the satin. Get the one you like the best.

You will be happy. THE AT and MT are really good sounding Ukuleles period and excellent value. I went AT because the wood looked nicer <g> and it turned out to sound just excellent. Try Worth clears, Salvarez or Martin 620's to bring out the best in this instrument.

I've got a Pono MT, MB and my father has an ATD. The ATD is clearly the cream of the crop for my taste, but I think its more the wood than the finish. I saw a review video by HMS where they reviewed a bunch of tenors and mentioned that they used Aquilas on all the ukes for consistency, but that the Pono needed a higher tension string. So I tried some Kooalu Alohis on my MT and that made a huge difference. It got louder, crisper and the sustain went way up. It's great for playing over the top of guitars when I play with them and doing fingerstyle sounds awesome.

Top Bottom