20" v. 19" baritone

If I,m not mistaken the Stagg Bari has a 19.5" scale. solid top, laminated sides and back. Also the Bruce Wei has a 19" scale. Any other production Baritone ukuleles with a less than 20" scale?
Stu

I've already mentioned the Bruko earlier in the thread. My custom electric Blue Star Guitar Konablaster is also 19" and cost less then the Bruko.

Baritones are even made in 21" scale - I believe the Pono is 21". I seem to recall the Supra short-scale electric guitar was also 21"...

Kinnard standard baritone is 19 7/8" but he's making me one with just 19".

I'm confused now: Will a shorter scale (say 19") have higher or lower string tension? The scale on my Kanile'a baritone is 515 mm (a bit over 20"), and the one thing I dislike about it is that all the strings I have been trying sound and feel rather "floppy" on it.

I'm confused now: Will a shorter scale (say 19") have higher or lower string tension? The scale on my Kanile'a baritone is 515 mm (a bit over 20"), and the one thing I dislike about it is that all the strings I have been trying sound and feel rather "floppy" on it.

It is my understanding that the longer the scale length the higher the tension on the string must be to pull it up to tune. This is why the very same model string gets larger in diameter as you go from soprano to concert to tenor. But different types of strings will feel different under your fingers. Most Aquilas feel floppy to me compared to florocarbon. Different tunings make a difference going from DGBE (floppy feeling) to the South Coast prefered F A# D G feels much firmer.

Last edited:
right, shorter scale will have lower tension. If your strings are too floppy, try some different ones or tune the ones you have up a half-step or two and see if you like that better. FWIW, I had the Living Water unwound baritone set on a 20+" Lanikai and I thought they felt just fine. Currently, I have my 19" Bruko strung with the Living Water low G tenor set tuned up a step to EAC#F# and that also feels good.

Top Bottom