Need case ideas for a Kumalae

aquadan

Reaction score
We just acquired this 1920's Kumalae from Jake Wildwood and need to find a case for it. Has anyone found one that fits reasonably? It rattles around in both the Stagg and Uke Crazy soprano cases we have here.

kumosumo-1.jpg

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2014/07/c1920-kumalae-koa-soprano-uke.html

Last edited:
oooh, I had my eye on that for the longest time! No advice on a case, but I doubt you'll find one that's a perfect fit. My solution has been to stop by Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked up some foam rubber and about a yard of crushed velvet. I make wedges to fit the extra space in the case and glue the correct color crushed velvet to them. You can use a little Velcro if you want to attach the wedges to the case, but I don't bother.

Missed that one too - if you ever want to sell message me please.
RichM's advise wit extra padding is a good one. As today's sopranos are all bigger it seems impossible to get a case that fits these oldies unless you get one custom made.

Glad I beat you two to it. I was watching it for several days thinking if it's still there in the morning it means I should get it. Then when morning came I would say if it's still there tonight... Finally I had to have it.

It doesn't fit the stagg case well at all, the heel shape causes it to sit up out of the case. It swims in the uke crazy, but I can live with that for now. I think I'll pad it out like Rich suggested and keep my eyes open for something more vintage looking that holds it.

One thought on the case-- I have an Anuenue 1879, which is essentially a Kumalae tribute. It comes with a vintage-style case which fits the uke perfectly. I wonder if you can get the case independent of the uke, because I bet it would fit.

One thought on the case-- I have an Anuenue 1879, which is essentially a Kumalae tribute. It comes with a vintage-style case which fits the uke perfectly. I wonder if you can get the case independent of the uke, because I bet it would fit.

Ooh, good idea. Looks like Uke Republic carries the 1879, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get just a case.

Don't know if you called Mike yet, but I don't think you can get hold of the cases w/o the uke. I've tried to locate a couple for years w/no luck. I still my buy an Anuenue 1879 outright as it is a great uke.

I keep forgetting to call, but with the summer humidity it hasn't been an issue so far. Laziness will probably cause me to default to the uke crazy case even though it doesn't feel period.

The anuenue does look awfully nice, but I'm not sure I can justify another soprano anytime soon.

Just in case anyone else is looking for a Kumalae case in the future. Andrew at HMS recommended the kanilea soprano case he uses for his. I just received it today and it fits nearly perfectly. The wider neck space in this case is just right, the uke doesn't rock like it did in some of the others I tried.

Top Bottom