Somebody stop me; UAS is banging hard at the door.

OK, OK all, keeping to the subject, I'm really curious about changing the strings on the Vorson. I realized I have all kinds of combinations I can make. Is there a formula or a standard for the string size graduation? I have to calculate the percent of difference between the 09, 11, 16, 11 so I can apply it to the flat wounds I have at hand.
It is way too easy for me to go off topic! Sorry.

Retire, what's that?? :) I decided long ago that that was a privilege reserved for generations born before... well, the mid-sixties or so. I doubt that I'll ever have that luxury, but if I do, I'll spend it sitting on the beach playing my Ohta-San... the beach is free, at least as long as I can walk there.

JR40, your mention of the beach being free reminded me of a post on a blog from a long-ago blogger, and how there can be a free, public beach right under our noses, yet we, as a society, promote buying our own beach just the same. America's emphasis on private ownership over public shared ownership; a senseless philosophy less prevelant in other countries, I believe. Here's the quick blog post:
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-things-shall-pass.html

As to UAS, Kohanmike, if one considers resale, the cost of ownership of many ukuleles is not as onerous as it might sound. You're aware of this as you have had at least one uke on the Marketplace recently, Mike, so I'll say it for others. High-quality vintage instruments, or highly-sought production instruments (as in the Kamakas mentioned in these recent posts) are popular re-sale items. One-off customs by the luthier-of-the-month ukuleles are by far the hardest to re-sell (I learned that the hard way). I have found that tenors sell best, followed by concerts then sopranos, in that order (I haven't sold baritones to know where they fit, but I would guess somewhere behind sopranos and above bikinis at Christmas). If one wants to try many ukuleles, buying quality (used, if at all possible) and considering resale value would be wise. I know many exceptional UU'ers (DocJ, d-mace, come to mind) who buy and sell with success (although I'll have to get Ellery Queen onto why both my modern and vintage Martin Style 2s remain stuck in the UU Marketplace like barnacles on the hull of a ship).

((JR40: The H.M. novel took a couple slow-ish chapters to introduce the characters, but it's heating up well. Going into chapter 10 of about 30 chapters in total (it's easy reading; it doesn't sound like it based on being on Chap 10 already, but I read slowly, for content, likely an unwelcome holdover from my countless years of memorizing texbooks) and it now has mystery and lots of sex! Your library will have yours tomorrow--oh, joy! It's getting good enough that I pray it ends well--no "thud" to lessen the entire piece. Pray that the mystery has a plausible resolution. I can't wait to get your take on it. Did I mention the rampant sex? lol))

Last edited:
If you buy a good uke from the beginning you wouldn't have to do so many upgrades and actually save alot of money....wish I had done that
at least I could play alot of ukes good and many bad one down the line... UAS BAH impulsive Buyer yupppppp

If you buy a good uke from the beginning you wouldn't have to do so many upgrades and actually save alot of money....wish I had done that
at least I could play alot of ukes good and many bad one down the line... UAS BAH impulsive Buyer yupppppp

Stan, that is a really good point and something I wish I had included in my previous post to the OP. While it's fun and a good learning experience to try a bunch of different ukes on the path to finding what you like, once you start to figure out what it is you like I think it's really practical to spring for the best you can afford and view it as a long term investment rather than something more... disposable.

JR40, your mention of the beach being free reminded me of a post on a blog from a long-ago blogger, and how there can be a free, public beach right under our noses, yet we, as a society, promote buying our own beach just the same. America's emphasis on private ownership over public shared ownership; a senseless philosophy less prevelant in other countries, I believe. Here's the quick blog post:
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2009/07/all-things-shall-pass.html

As to UAS, Kohanmike, if one considers resale, the cost of ownership of many ukuleles is not as onerous as it might sound. You're aware of this as you have had at least one uke on the Marketplace recently, Mike, so I'll say it for others. High-quality vintage instruments, or highly-sought production instruments (as in the Kamakas mentioned in these recent posts) are popular re-sale items. One-off customs by the luthier-of-the-month ukuleles are by far the hardest to re-sell (I learned that the hard way). I have found that tenors sell best, followed by concerts then sopranos, in that order (I haven't sold baritones to know where they fit, but I would guess somewhere behind sopranos and above bikinis at Christmas). If one wants to try many ukuleles, buying quality (used, if at all possible) and considering resale value would be wise. I know many exceptional UU'ers (DocJ, d-mace, come to mind) who buy and sell with success (although I'll have to get Ellery Queen onto why both my modern and vintage Martin Style 2s remain stuck in the UU Marketplace like barnacles on the hull of a ship).

((JR40: The H.M. novel took a couple slow-ish chapters to introduce the characters, but it's heating up well. Going into chapter 10 of about 30 chapters in total (it's easy reading; it doesn't sound like it based on being on Chap 10 already, but I read slowly, for content, likely an unwelcome holdover from my countless years of memorizing texbooks) and it now has mystery and lots of sex! Your library will have yours tomorrow--oh, joy! It's getting good enough that I pray it ends well--no "thud" to lessen the entire piece. Pray that the mystery has a plausible resolution. I can't wait to get your take on it. Did I mention the rampant sex? lol))

CK1 - we've had some issues locally with private ownership of beaches by the moneyed elite. I think there may only be one left. I'm in complete agreement with what said "long-ago blogger" posted - I'm not the owner of anything, just privileged to be the caretaker of a few nice ukes during whatever lifetime I may have :)

And that's a good summary of my experience in the Marketplace; every time I've seen Kohanmike's "bumps" to his post for the mandolele I've meant to address it with "give it time." I've only sold concerts and sopranos - the concerts sold within minutes; K-brand sopranos took a few days; my custom soprano took much longer. Even from a luthier with a strong reputation, customs are a crap-shoot; finding the right buyer isn't always easy.

(And my HM is still hung up at the library. I'm guessing the library clerk stumbled on to the rampant sex and decided to keep it for his or her self...)

Even from a luthier with a strong reputation, customs are a crap-shoot; finding the right buyer isn't always easy.

(And my HM is still hung up at the library. I'm guessing the library clerk stumbled on to the rampant sex and decided to keep it for his or her self...)

mmstan, as usual, I agree with you. The new ukulele enthusiast, though, might not know which high-end ukulele to purchase straight off the bat; they may need to consult with you. :)

JR40, your "Even from a luthier with strong reputation--" line is surely my experience, too. Well stated, so true. Add to that (only from my experience): ukes under $1k will sell. Ukes $1k-$2k, harder, decidedly more difficult. Ukes over $2k: seller better get ready for a skinning. Without hundreds of dollars discount, few will buy.

((It's too randy for a librarian, it'd steam up their eyeglasses. Please call them, remind them kindly that you're first on the list and that you must read it now to lead your "book club".));) (Warning: the writing is as simple as a glass of water, the metaphors are dissociated and odd, and the dialogue is downright hokey--yet the story itself has a rather eternal, almost magical, feel. See what you and your girlfriend think.)

Last edited:
MM -- I say that repeatedly on UU. Nobody believes me. That's when I decided that maybe it's not the playing that is important. It seems to be the collecting that some people prefer. When I played clarinet I owned one clarinet. When I played flute I owned one flute. I played bassoon too, but it was on loan from school. Those are way too pricey for me. I guess if everybody liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring. But, man....the lateral buys do drive me insane. The sound may be different, but it's not very often that it is better. But, then again, it's not my money.

I guess that is logical, if you know what high dollar uke suits you before you even get started. I can promise you, you will not get a definitive answer here in regards to what is the best uke to buy. My In my case, and I think probably a lot of people are the same, my logic told me that I didn't even know if I would like playing the ukulele or not, and to not invest in an expensive uke before I even knew if it was for me.

MM -- I say that repeatedly on UU. Nobody believes me. That's when I decided that maybe it's not the playing that is important. It seems to be the collecting that some people prefer. When I played clarinet I owned one clarinet. When I played flute I owned one flute. I played bassoon too, but it was on loan from school. Those are way too pricey for me. I guess if everybody liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring. But, man....the lateral buys do drive me insane. The sound may be different, but it's not very often that it is better. But, then again, it's not my money.

It's also possible some of us like playing AND collecting. :) They aren't mutually exclusive.

Oh, RichM -- in my heart I know that. I'm not necessarily knocking it. I just don't understand it. Could it be because I spent all my ukulele money already?

I'm not necessarily knocking it. I just don't understand it.

Hi, Sukie. It's elementary: buy for Y, sell for Yx2. ;) Then use money to fund lake house and hotdogs.

Admittedly, system is very dependent on the "greater fool" theory--someone fool enough to pay more than I did. But, then again, so are shares in the stock market.

Stocks held in a bank are less susceptible to a house fire, certainly.

So, full circle: you're right. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Oh, RichM -- in my heart I know that. I'm not necessarily knocking it. I just don't understand it. Could it be because I spent all my ukulele money already?

I think some of us just experience musical instruments differently. One of the things I've learned about myself is that my relationship with my instruments is evolutionary. For example, my go-to guitar is a beautiful custom by luthier Kevin Mathers. I took it in partial trade against an expensive mandolin that I really wanted to sell. I didn't want the guitar at all, but the buyer was short on cash and offered the guitar to make up the difference. I took it grudgingly, figuring I would flip it as soon as possible. That was six years ago, and that guitar is the first one I pick up when I want to play. I never would have chosen it, but somehow it chose me. That's why I steer clear of "holy grail" instruments; just like other parts of your life, sometimes you need to spend time getting to know an instrument before you make a commitment.

Well, that is what I HOPE happens for me. I have actually owned three ukuleles, though I have only been playing since the end of June. My first ukulele, a largely custom (read: expensive) Ko'olau was a straight across trade (no cash involved). It is strung in re-entrant tuning. I then learned about low G tuning and decided that, rather than always switching the G string between low and high G, I would get another ukulele and use it for low G. I traded some guitar pedals I no longer needed for a Riptide. Though it is a reasonable ukulele in all respects, there is a HUGE difference between it and my Ko'olau. Despite what we may want to believe otherwise, we do largely get what we pay for in instruments. I found that to be true with guitars and now ukuleles. That does not mean that less expensive ukuleles are junk - far from it, they can be quite nice. But there is something about high end ukuleles that is not duplicated in the lower price range. You know it when you play it is about the only way I know to say it. I tended to focus on the vast difference between the two ukuleles, rather than enjoying each on its own merits. That is my problem and maybe others here are not likewise affected.

I had the Riptide for just a couple of days when I had the opportunity to trade it toward a new Kamaka Ohta-San. I jumped at the chance even though this trade did cost me a fair amount of cash too. To me, it was well worth it. I enjoy playing these ukuleles daily and have no intention of getting rid of them, nor am I interested in obtaining still more ukuleles despite all that rationalizations I read here, just as I have read for so long in guitar forums. We really do believe this stuff that is clearly rationalization in hindsight long after the heat of the moment turns into past memory. I know this from going through guitars over the years and can clearly recognize it here too. There is nothing inherently wrong with collecting ukuleles, but having one or two really decent instruments, to me, trumps a room full of lesser expensive ukuleles (i.e. do we want to spend 100 dollars each on 10 ukuleles or 1000 dollars on one good ukulele - the money spent is the same in either case, the experience quite different). Being able to retire and have time to play is more important to me, by far, than having a room full if high end ukuleles. These are just my opinions based on my own experience so far with guitars and now starting into ukuleles.

So, back to my original statement...I HOPE that having two higher end ukuleles (one high G and one low G) will stave off UAS no matter how much UAS "drool" I read here. We do tend to egg each other on, much as a person standing on the ledge of a 20 story building and the crowd below saying "Jump, jump!!!", just as we do in guitar and piano forums and probably any other forum where all we can do is post rather than playing with each other and showing each other new licks and tunes in person. It is difficult, if not impossible to talk as a substitute for playing music, so the emphasis here will often (not always, since people here do ask and answer playing-related questions too) be on discussing instruments and gadgets rather than playing and using them, which we necessarily do offline.

Tony

Hi, Sukie. It's elementary: buy for Y, sell for Yx2. ;) Then use money to fund lake house and hotdogs.

Admittedly, system is very dependent on the "greater fool" theory--someone fool enough to pay more than I did. But, then again, so are shares in the stock market.

Stocks held in a bank are less susceptible to a house fire, certainly.

So, full circle: you're right. It makes no sense.

I haven't made much money collecting musical instruments, but I have delighted in being surrounded by wonderful instruments, and having the luxury of saying, "I think I'll take the Compass Rose to the jam today, " or "I'm going to take the fretless bass to band practice tonight, and see if we can get some jazz on," or "I'm getting out the vintage Rickenbacker and play some old Who tunes." Life is good!

JR40, your "Even from a luthier with strong reputation--" line is surely my experience, too. Well stated, so true. Add to that (only from my experience): ukes under $1k will sell. Ukes $1k-$2k, harder, decidedly more difficult. Ukes over $2k: seller better get ready for a skinning. Without hundreds of dollars discount, few will buy.

((It's too randy for a librarian, it'd steam up their eyeglasses. Please call them, remind them kindly that you're first on the list and that you must read it now to lead your "book club".));) (Warning: the writing is as simple as a glass of water, the metaphors are dissociated and odd, and the dialogue is downright hokey--yet the story itself has a rather eternal, almost magical, feel. See what you and your girlfriend think.)

Janeray - I'm loving the Da Silva. I've been playing lots of jazz on it and have used it at a few classes already.

Steve/Coolkayaker - Hey, us librarians like a bit of filth every now and then. ;) You should have seen our recent erotic book display in the library. It got a few comments as you can imagine, but the books didn't last long!

Back on topic. I can see both sides of the same coin. I DO think you can be a collector and player at the same time as Rich M says. I have several vintage ukes and play every single one of them. I like the subtle different sounds you get from each one. It's like they all have a personality. BUT I'm so happy since I started reducing my collection to trade up. You end up with fewer ukuleles but each one is better than what you had.

Janeray - I'm loving the Da Silva. I've been playing lots of jazz on it and have used it at a few classes already.

Back on topic. I can see both sides of the same coin. I DO think you can be a collector and player at the same time as Rich M says. I have several vintage ukes and play every single one of them. I like the subtle different sounds you get from each one. It's like they all have a personality. BUT I'm so happy since I started reducing my collection to trade up. You end up with fewer ukuleles but each one is better than what you had.

Matt, I am so happy to hear that! It's the perfect jazz uke, I'm glad it's being put to the good use that it deserves.

And while I'm not a collector, I think you're right. For those who can appreciate the subtleties between tonewoods and tunings and all, or who enjoy bringing a different uke to uke club each week, or whatever - why not.

I think the problem, if there is one, lies in the cutting-corners mentality - thinking one can get everything they want in a uke elsewhere for less. For instance, say someone falls madly in love with the sound and playability of a higher-end koa uke, but balks at the $1000+ price tag. They see an "acacia" uke on eBay for $100 plus overseas shipping, and on paper they think it's a great deal. The uke arrives, it disappoints - fair enough, not a lot of money lost, maybe you wind up with an adequate beater uke or a nice wall-hanger. That should be a lesson learned, in and of itself - yet I've seen people do this over and over, each time expecting the uke of their dreams, and each time being disappointed. Before you know it, you've got a half-dozen inferior ukes for the same money that one single higher-end uke would have cost. Not much of a bargain any more, is it?

Maybe it's not a problem, but personally, money aside, I can't imagine expending that much time and energy on shopping. Life's too short! But that's just me - to each their own :)

And not everyone wants to be good enough to play Troy Fernandez stuff. :p

As RichM pointed out, playing & collecting doesn't have to be exlusive of each other. Contentment comes in many ways.

I think the problem, if there is one, lies in the cutting-corners mentality - thinking one can get everything they want in a uke elsewhere for less. For instance, say someone falls madly in love with the sound and playability of a higher-end koa uke, but balks at the $1000+ price tag. They see an "acacia" uke on eBay for $100 plus overseas shipping, and on paper they think it's a great deal. The uke arrives, it disappoints - fair enough, not a lot of money lost, maybe you wind up with an adequate beater uke or a nice wall-hanger. That should be a lesson learned, in and of itself - yet I've seen people do this over and over, each time expecting the uke of their dreams, and each time being disappointed. Before you know it, you've got a half-dozen inferior ukes for the same money that one single higher-end uke would have cost. Not much of a bargain any more, is it?

You're right. If I could go back in time to when I started playing ukuleles and give myself one piece of ukulele related advice it would be to save up to get the ukulele I really want rather than buying every single $300 ukulele that took my fancy. I have lost SO much money over the years buying ukes on an impulse and then selling them on for less than I paid. Whilst I learned a lot from the experience I'm glad I'm out the other side and now I tend to stick to what I know I'll love (which for me is soprano ukuleles made out of koa or mahogany (and preferably by KoAloha or Martin!))

It's also possible some of us like playing AND collecting. :) They aren't mutually exclusive.

I fall into that category, that's why I ordered the Vorson. I'm having a lot of fun shopping, perusing, buying. I say life is long (my dad went at 93, my mom is now 92), I semi-retired last year at 64, no wife or children, I'm able do what I enjoy, even with a fixed income. I may never be a great player (unless I buckle down and work at it), but I'm having fun playing and collecting.

We do tend to egg each other on, much as a person standing on the ledge of a 20 story building and the crowd below saying "Jump, jump!!!"...

At least with a uke when I jump, it's not to my death.

It's like they all have a personality.

That's a good way to describe it, even though all my ukes are so similar to each other. I play them all in rotation, which is easy because our group meets twice a week.

That's a good way to describe it, even though all my ukes are so similar to each other. I play them all in rotation, which is easy because our group meets twice a week.

That's one of my favourite things about having a few ukuleles. I love that moment before I go out to my group thinking 'which one will I play tonight?'

Top Bottom