UAS Rationalization

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’m a retired guy who had a moderately successful working career. As I’ve often pointed out to my wife, most of my contemporaries who are in similar circumstances spend a lot of time on the golf course. Golf has never interested me. But, if it did, I would certainly play at least twice a week. I mean, I can’t see having an avid interest like that without going out to do it at least every few days. So, out of curiosity, I checked on the rates for 18 holes of golf in my area. I was looking at the course where I live, and the closest public course to where I live. I see the rates fluctuate during the year, and range from $90.00 to $230.00 per round of golf. Just using rough figuring, it looks like I would be spending something in the neighborhood of $16,000.00 a year if I played golf and paid the standard green fees. Of course, there are memberships with discounts, etc. But I think it’s fair to use the standard fees for the purpose of this estimate. So, as I’ve told my wife, that should be my “Gee it’s great to be retired!”, play money allowance. Now, I can’t actually see myself spending $16,000.00 a year on Ukuleles, but if I wanted to …. I think you can get my drift here. I suddenly have a much greater appreciation for the entire golfing industry. Keep up the good work, guys!

Sounds like good logic to me! I've said the same thing myself about "if I were a golfer." I can afford what I want, but my buying choices are somewhat ruled by "the law of diminishing returns."

I’m a retired guy who had a moderately successful working career. As I’ve often pointed out to my wife, most of my contemporaries who are in similar circumstances spend a lot of time on the golf course. Golf has never interested me. But, if it did, I would certainly play at least twice a week. I mean, I can’t see having an avid interest like that without going out to do it at least every few days. So, out of curiosity, I checked on the rates for 18 holes of golf in my area. I was looking at the course where I live, and the closest public course to where I live. I see the rates fluctuate during the year, and range from $90.00 to $230.00 per round of golf. Just using rough figuring, it looks like I would be spending something in the neighborhood of $16,000.00 a year if I played golf and paid the standard green fees. Of course, there are memberships with discounts, etc. But I think it’s fair to use the standard fees for the purpose of this estimate. So, as I’ve told my wife, that should be my “Gee it’s great to be retired!”, play money allowance. Now, I can’t actually see myself spending $16,000.00 a year on Ukuleles, but if I wanted to …. I think you can get my drift here. I suddenly have a much greater appreciation for the entire golfing industry. Keep up the good work, guys!
Whatever works for you.

ukuleles are cheaper than a lot of things that people do or have hobbies so the more ukuleles the better :)

Unpopular thought here maybe, but....if people spent as much time playing/practicing as they do shopping, they'd be really good players.

Although I do understand for some people it's not about playing ukulele, it's about buying them.

Genius. Makes sense to me. In Vegas you could squander that away easily

I've normally found that when I need to rationalise a purchase, and end up making said purchase, I normally regret it.

Only time that hasn't been true has been with both of my ukes. :D

Well...comparatively speaking, UAS is not as bad as aquiring other instruments. MAS (Mandolin) and GAS (guitar) really puts a hole in your pocket. A mid-tier mandolin made in China cost upwards to $1K. Besides, you can sell or trade your ukes and recoup some of that money. Definitely cheaper than golf or gambling!

I am an avid golfer and most years I played three times a week. It can be a very expensive hobbie but so can bass fishing, being a car guy, shotgun shooting etc. I get the point that you are trying to make " ukulele is not nearly as expensive a hobby as a lot of others". I have had to cut back a lot on my golf this year just because of a busy work schedule, more money to buy ukes.:)I have been averaging one a month and still not spending as much as I did on golf. I have a long neck soprano in transit at the moment and two customs on order. Life is short but can be very wide, if you don't die happy it is all your fault

Last edited:
$16,000.00 a year is just enough to cover purchases, maintenance, and all the traveling to uke festivals and shops and lessons.... Seems completely reasonable to me.

Unpopular thought here maybe, but....if people spent as much time playing/practicing as they do shopping, they'd be really good players.

Although I do understand for some people it's not about playing ukulele, it's about buying them.
Haha, I sometimes wish there was a "like" button to click on.

Well, if that is what it takes to justify buying ukes, but I play golf as well as playing ukes, and I've never paid more than $15 for a round of golf. Of course, I hit the courses run by Parks and Rec twice a week, and that's only $8 for nine. But regardless, it costs money to play golf too.

Well, if that is what it takes to justify buying ukes, but I play golf as well as playing ukes, and I've never paid more than $15 for a round of golf. Of course, I hit the courses run by Parks and Rec twice a week, and that's only $8 for nine. But regardless, it costs money to play golf too.

Yes, I know about golfing on the cheap, so to speak. And, there's definitely nothing wrong with that. But I live in a golf course community, so I started with our own golf course. Then I checked the rates at Bear's Best, the next closest course to my home. That's where I came up with my estimate. It's admittedly high end golfing. But then again, I'm only interested in high end Ukuleles, so it all sort of balances out. I think. :D Actually my taste in Ukes runs more toward variety than it does toward exclusive custom builds. I love my Kamakas, but I'm really enjoying my metal body National, wood body Gretch resonator, and Lanakai Banjolele. And, I have one of those Mid-East Baroq-uleles on its way. Now, if I can just recapture some of my playing skills I'll be a happy camper!

This makes the most sense to me, though maybe this is one of those midwest fiscally conservative ethics, since I also live in the Twin Cities area. I clearly understand the excitement in getting something new and wanting to relive that many more times, but I would rather observe others doing that than doing it myself.

Regarding golf, the reason I never got into it (besides the fact that here in the Twin Cities, it would be a VERY SHORT season) is that it seems to cost money every time you want to participate. I am not naturally "skilled" in these sorts of things, so unless I do it every day consistently, I simply don't seem to improve. I find if I do a thing every day, I can become decent at it, so that isn't a problem. With a musical instrument, you can buy it once and then spend the rest of your life participating with very little added cost unless you want to take private lessons. That is very cost effective. Of course, for those who participate in UAS with consistency, that logic goes out the window fast. :)

Tony

Top Bottom