New self-published book on amazon: Learn Finger-Style Ukulele by Tony Mizen

Tony Mizen

Reaction score
Hi, I love the name of this category! Here's a piece of shameless self promotion....

I have written a ukulele tutor book that combines a detailed description of the way I play finger-style with the basics and not so basics of music theory.

I wrote it because I think there's a lot of confusion surrounding where chords come from and how they are named. What exactly is a diminished 7th chord? What is a min 7 flat 5 chord? What is the difference between a major 7th and a dominant 7th? What is an augmented chord?

I go over these difficulties from scratch, along with things like cadences, key changes and how to spot them, plus a lot more that connects theory with practical playing and learning of finger-style.

It is aimed at the beginner but not children. It's for people who have a curiosity about music theory and may be a bit baffled by some of it but would rather not ignore it...

There were a few typos on the back cover that I have now corrected! Apologies, but this is a first for me. I think it is 'different' in its approach by including this theory element, but there are also lots of musical examples. I take a simple tune and give several versions of it, putting flesh upon the bones.

Anyway, if it's helpful to anyone, I would be delighted to know - but also if anyone loathes it!

It was great fun to do, whatever happens. The front cover is a photo I took of the Fluke Jim Beloff sent me.

There are many excellent books out there and I hope this one makes a contribution in a slightly different way.

Many thanks,

Tony Mizen

UK Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Finger-Style-Ukulele-Music-Theory/dp/150068144X/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408194798&sr=1-13&keywords=tony+mizen

US Link: http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Finger-Style-Ukulele-Music-Theory/dp/150068144X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408195240&sr=8-3&keywords=tony+mizen

Last edited:
Hi Tony! This sounds perfect for where I am on my uke journey. I checked the US link and got: "Out of Print". I added it to my wish list and will order it as soon as it's available. Looking forward to getting it!
Randy

Ps I love your other two books!

Thanks Randy! It should be available now, I just took it off to correct two typos. You can read something a thousand times and never see them, then they suddenly jump out at you! I must admit that I'm pleased by the way it came out. It looks quite professional. I hope it fills that 'gap' between theory and playing and is easy to follow. Any review would be greatly appreciated - esp. nice ones!

Thanks again!

Will there be a Kindle version? I tend to keep the Ipad with the Uke and don't lose things that way.

Will there be a Kindle version? I tend to keep the Ipad with the Uke and don't lose things that way.

Hi, I'm not sure that it would come out very well as a Kindle version due to the small letters and numbers that are in the music. I sent it to my kindle and the music was very small and difficult to read. I'm not too sure about if it would be acceptable.

Tony

I use an app called TurboScanOCR, I buy the book then scan it into my iPad. Works great.

Tony, I have your other two books and they are two of my three favorite and most played books (John King gets the final spot). I want to buy this one too but being in Canada the US and UK Amazon site will not sell to me. Can i buy it direct from you or will you post a version on the Amazon.ca site?

Thanks, Bill

Tony, I think this book will find an audience here. I've seen quite a few posts expressing a desire to learn more about music theory as it applies specifically to the uke.

But I was really hoping you'd come out with another book of your wonderful transcriptions. Any chance of that happening in the foreseeable future?

Tony, I think this book will find an audience here. I've seen quite a few posts expressing a desire to learn more about music theory as it applies specifically to the uke.

But I was really hoping you'd come out with another book of your wonderful transcriptions. Any chance of that happening in the foreseeable future?

Thanks so much for these encouraging comments. There have been some sales of this already, so I'm really pleased.

I would love to do a 'Lute to Uke' 2 and maybe if Jim gets some requests, he might ask me to do it!

Tony, I have your other two books and they are two of my three favorite and most played books (John King gets the final spot). I want to buy this one too but being in Canada the US and UK Amazon site will not sell to me. Can i buy it direct from you or will you post a version on the Amazon.ca site?

Thanks, Bill

Sorry, I didn't see this before. If you send me a private message with your address, I'll send you a copy. Many thanks

Just ordered it, and I am looking forward to playing through the book.

I keep the CD's for Lute to Uke and Baroque Ukulele in my car player. Not only do they help me internalize the transcriptions, but the quality of the recording is so crisp that they are a joy to listen to while driving.

I have the book and will get started soon. Also, sent an email to Jim asking for a new Lute to Uke 2! Love it!

Received the book tonight. Really like the format - it is different from the first two, but in a good way. I think understanding the "why" behind the "what" will make things click.

BTW, I emailed Jim as well for a second Lute to Uke book.

Last edited:
Top Bottom