Ohana 5 String (TK-35G-5) Tenor vs Mainland Mahogany Tenor

Reaction score
Hey guys need some help here!!!

I have recently acquired UAS… lol… and i think the cure might just be a new uke! :p So please help me make a choice!!!

I have been playing a Tanglewood/Cove Creek TU2 Soprano for a while, it was an experiment to see if i will like it and i am finding myself in love with the Uke world! And i think i am ready to move on to a decent midrange Uke!

I play mainly worship/church music (strum and fingerpick; about 50/50) I do find the TU2's sound slightly thin and punchy, I am looking for more warmth and "meat/fullness" in the sound. So i am thinking a solid Mahogany Tenor will do the trick! so i have narrowed down my choices to the Ohana 5 String or a Mainland Mahogany Tenor(lowG)! So i have some concerns and questions that i hope the more experienced players can give me some insights!

Questions
1. Both Ukes cost around 300 CAD (i'm in Toronto) but with Mainland i have the option of electronics for ~100 CAD more! How much would it cost to put a pick up in the Ohana?
2. Is the 5th string worth the extra-trouble? Would i be able to pick them separately?
3. Where would i buy strings for the 5 string uke, would i have to buy 2 sets each time?
4. And finally just your general thoughts and suggestion for other ukes (under 500CAD)?

Thank you all!!!!

Either is a good choice but unless you know you want the 5 string, I'd go to with the Mainland with MiSi pickup especially if you're getting it direct from Mike. Pono and Kala will probably get some votes but hard to go wrong with the Mainland.

I'd go with the Mainland with the MISI. It's a great ukulele.

I have no experience with that Ohana, but the Mainland is a sweetie, especially with that pickup. I also love low g on a solid mahogany tenor. I have mellow ones on my solid mahogany Kala, but for Church, I'd probably use brighter ones....lots available. If you do solos, doesn't matter, but if you play along with guitarists, you may not be heard as well with mellow strings....the brightness is what would stand out. Cost of installing a pickup depends on who installs it. A passive system is relatively easy to install yourself if you have some basic wood craft skills. With a potential budget of $500 I saw several good deals on Ebay.ca, some with pickup, some not. Others worth considering listed were:

- Mele solid mahoghany tenor $484 shipped....a top choice I think, no pickup installed.
- Ohana TK-70G Flame maple/spruce top $305
- Pono MT $382.96 another top choice, no pickup installed
- Ohana TK35/cg $315.31 shipped
- Godin Multi-uke $491.41 a specialized instrument
- Mid- $300 includes several Kala solid mahogany and/or acacia tenors, some with pickups, cases, slotted headstocks; some solid mahogany Islanders.

Last edited:
I have the Ohana 5 string, I like it a lot, but it does not really sound much different than a low g tenor.
The mahogany gives it a warm mellow sound. You really can't go wrong with either.

I have no experience with that Ohana, but the Mainland is a sweetie, especially with that pickup. I also love low g on a solid mahogany tenor. I have mellow ones on my solid mahogany Kala, but for Church, I'd probably use brighter ones....lots available. If you do solos, doesn't matter, but if you play along with guitarists, you may not be heard as well with mellow strings....the brightness is what would stand out. Cost of installing a pickup depends on who installs it. A passive system is relatively easy to install yourself if you have some basic wood craft skills. With a potential budget of $500 I saw several good deals on Ebay.ca, some with pickup, some not. Others worth considering listed were:

- Mele solid mahoghany tenor $484 shipped....a top choice I think, no pickup installed.
- Mid- $300 includes several Kala solid mahogany and/or acacia tenors, some with pickups, cases, slotted headstocks; some solid mahogany Islanders.

Wow, Phil, you're a regular Ukepedia!! Good stuff.

My two cents? Keep it simple, get the Mainland with the pickup...Love mine.

Thank you everyone for the advices…
it seems like the consensus is the i cannot go wrong with the Mainland!!!
But i am intrigued by having the 5th string plus i can go try the Ohana while the mainland will be a pure blind online order. So can someone who plays a 5 string help me on the following!
1. Do you feel like it does give you more options/freedom? or does it feel restricting?
2. Could you fingerpick the two gs effectively?
3. is it an improvement in sound compared to a regular tenor?
4. or simply talk me out of a 5 string!

thank you

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the advices…
it seems like the consensus is the i cannot go wrong with the Mainland!!!
But i am intrigued by having the 5th string plus i can go try the Ohana while the mainland will be a pure blind online order. So can someone who plays a 5 string help me on the following!
1. Do you feel like it does give you more options/freedom? or does it feel restricting?
2. Could you fingerpick the two gs effectively?
3. is it an improvement in sound compared to a regular tenor?
4. or simply talk me out of a 5 string!

thank you

I love my Ohana 5 string. It has a great, full sound, and adds a lot to group playing. As far as fingerpicking, it doesn't affect the first 3 strings at all, but it is trickier to single out the 4th and 5th strings. If you only played that one instrument, I am sure you could master a technique that would accurately use the strings individually. Sometimes, it sounds good to play the 4th and 5th together, and it can add sparkle to a song if used in just the right moments. It sounds good strumming, and doesn't seem to make it too difficult for fretting. They are hard to come by, so if you want one you better jump on this one.

–Lori

I love my Ohana 5 string. It has a great, full sound, and adds a lot to group playing. As far as fingerpicking, it doesn't affect the first 3 strings at all, but it is trickier to single out the 4th and 5th strings. If you only played that one instrument, I am sure you could master a technique that would accurately use the strings individually. Sometimes, it sounds good to play the 4th and 5th together, and it can add sparkle to a song if used in just the right moments. It sounds good strumming, and doesn't seem to make it too difficult for fretting. They are hard to come by, so if you want one you better jump on this one.

–Lori

Hey Lori
thanks for the info!
Do you find that there are some songs or technique that just doesn't work with the 5 string? or are you able to do all the things with the 4 string with it?

Hey Lori
thanks for the info!
Do you find that there are some songs or technique that just doesn't work with the 5 string? or are you able to do all the things with the 4 string with it?

I think it really depends on the kind of songs you play. I have a lot of ukes, so I kind of select the uke based on the song I am going to play. Lately, I have been concentrating on instrumental low G arrangements, and because of some issues with my fingers, have been using the concert scale. I haven't had much time to practice, so the 5 string is in my uke lineup... it will get more play when my schedule is less demanding. For me, I would pick it out for strumming, especially in groups. It sounds nice to use the double G strings for certain melodies like Norwegian Wood.
–Lori

Can someone give me an honest opinion on Vintage Laka and Clearwater electrics? I've looked at reviews that call the particular laka I'm interested in (the VUVS6) as a children's uke?! image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks

I have a low G, a High G and also a five string. I don't care for the low g much by itself and find myself playing my High G or the 5 String. The 5 string has some bottom and volume to it due to the extra string, but the High G is still the top string and if you strum it right it can still sound ukey. I play harmonica with it & the 5 string is great to accompany it.
For Tin Pan Alley, old tunes, I use my 4 string High G. You probably should have one of each.
Also the 2 g strings on My 5 string (a Boat Paddle) are close together so they are easy to play. Ohanas 2 g strings might be spaced differently. You can't go wrong either way....Good Luck..

I'm in Toronto too, I have a Mainland Mahogany but it's an older(2009) model.

You are welcomed to try it if you want to. Mine doesn't have a pickup and is strung with Browns BT high g. I've tried Aquila Nylgut, Aquila Reds(high and low g), Living Water(high and low g), and most recently Worth BT on it. I think I like BT and Living water high g on it best.

Last edited:

How about the ohana tk40

I'm in Toronto too, I have a Mainland Mahogany but it's an older(2009) model.

You are welcomed to try it if you want to. Mine doesn't have a pickup and is strung with Browns BT high g. I've tried Aquila Nylgut, Aquila Reds(high and low g), Living Water(high and low g), and most recently Worth BT on it. I think I like BT and Living water high g on it best.

Thanks for the offer, i think i am okay!
just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the uke? as i find toronto have very limited uke selection beyond entry level?

Thanks for the offer, i think i am okay!
just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the uke? as i find toronto have very limited uke selection beyond entry level?

I bought it used off of Kijiji last year. :)

Cosmo music has a number of ukes including Kanilea, Kamaka, Islander, Ibanez, etc. but it's in Markham area. No Mainland or Ohana though, but might be worth a visit. Twelve Fret in the East end carries KoAloha and Martins. At 500 CAD, you can pick up a T1k. :)

Oh, another choice Twisted Wood. I was looking at them before I bought my Mainland. My wife has a small shop on Etsy, and that's where I found them originally. Their Banyan looks interesting. http://www.twistedwoodguitars.com/banyan.html I think their guitar and ukes are imports from Asia, but I've never played one so can't say if they are good or not.

Top Bottom