Does it bother you?

Rllink

Reaction score
First question, does it bother you when someone posts a question that has already been discussed at some point in the past? Second question, do you use the "search" to try and find if a subject has been discussed in the past, before you post a thread on the subject?

It never bothers me. I can skip right past it. Sometimes it's a newb. I was a newb myself. Sometimes asking gets a faster response than searching.
I say ask away.

I belong to various forums (on various topics),and the problem
of 'frequently asked questions' is often placed as a 'sticky' so
the information is there for all to read. The problem there is,
that a lot of newbies (to any subject or forum) simply don't
know what a 'sticky' is, or why it is there, so they often do
not read them!

Doesn't bother me at all. I learn a lot from the questions others ask, even if I've seen it answered before.

The search function within the forum is a bit sketchy. You're better off to search for what you want through Google. There's a way to limit a Google search to the forum. Someone described that in a thread yesterday. I don't know how to do it.

Besides, if people stopped asking questions that have already been answered then the late arrivals wouldn't have a chance to try to share our knowledge (or ignorance).

The search function within the forum is a bit sketchy. You're better off to search for what you want through Google. There's a way to limit a Google search to the forum. Someone described that in a thread yesterday. I don't know how to do it.

All you have to do is enter the thing you're looking for, in quotes if it contains more than one word side by side, and specify the site, like this:

"kamaka ohta-san" site:ukuleleunderground.com

As for the original question - it doesn't bother me, and even though I'm not a newbie I don't have a great memory and may not recall if something has been asked before. But when I do remember, especially if it was something I asked, I'll respond with a link to where it was previously asked.

What hasn't been asked here before?
The side-marker thread is one of the only recent topics that I don't think I've ever seen talked about here in the past.

I remember some time back someone was asking about organizing all the threads so the same subjects wouldn't be brought up over and over again. A data-base with no interaction, what fun would that be?

I don't mind redundant threads, new members show up all the time and maybe someone has some new insight.

And if there was good meat on a topic in an earlier thread, it's likely some helpful soul who remembers it will link to it, for the benefit of all.

While I may do a search myself, that's just me. It does kind of bug me when someone, particularly a newbie, asks a question and is told to do a search. unfriendly.

On UU over the years some people left and some new ones filled their shoes. The veterans have answered lots of the commonly repeated threads in the past and thus might not want to reply again, this gives new people an opportunity to share and get known and gain respect in the community. I think it works beautifully.

It never bothers me. If the forum were limited to only those questions that have never been asked before, then there wouldn't be much left to talk about!

What bothers me is people who complain about it. Like Dwjkerr said, it's unfriendly. In what surreal world does it make sense for ukulele players to be grumpy and impatient with other ukulele players?

everything bothers me before I've had my morning dose of Java. that's why I never read UU before coffee. after it, nothing really bothers me.

It's funny, the only thread repeat that bothers me is "which uke should i buy" without any context around what the style of music, size or uke, goals or needs, etc are. I often wonder why people think that my opinion on what is your perfect uke is any better than yours no matter how new you are...

It's funny, the only thread repeat that bothers me is "which uke should i buy" without any context around what the style of music, size or uke, goals or needs, etc are. I often wonder why people think that my opinion on what is your perfect uke is any better than yours no matter how new you are...

Well, that way if they end up with an instrument that doesn't suit them they can, at least partially, say that they were given poor advice. :D

It doesn't bother me in the least. Stick around long enough on any forum and you'll see the same happen.
I think of it like is...You start a new job and someone shows you the ropes, then after a while you find yourself showing the new guy how things are done. When I joined, I asked all the same questions and there was always someone who could enlighten me.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is when a thread has a non-specific title. I like a hint about the topic, so I can choose to skip it if I have no interest.

Doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is when people won't answer the question and instead say, "There's a search function for questions. That one has been posted many times on the forum."

It takes more time to do that, then to just answer the question sometimes.

No, it doesn't bother me. Yes, I always run a search first. A related question: If you run a search and find an old thread on your topic but which doesn't answer your question, should you revive it with a new posting, or start a new thread? Does it matter how old that other thread is?

No, it doesn't bother me. Yes, I always run a search first. A related question: If you run a search and find an old thread on your topic but which doesn't answer your question, should you revive it with a new posting, or start a new thread? Does it matter how old that other thread is?

Not to ,me it doesn't

Doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is when people won't answer the question and instead say, "There's a search function for questions. That one has been posted many times on the forum."

It takes more time to do that, then to just answer the question sometimes.
:agree: Just answer the question or search it yourself and link them what you found. People come to forums for help, advice, friendship, to be social....and so on. If the forum starts annoying you then take a break and practice your Uke

I guess the only thing that bothers me is when a thread has a non-specific title. I like a hint about the topic, so I can choose to skip it if I have no interest.

I wasn't going to say it but I agree. What does bother me is threads with titles like this one that are vague or ambiguous.

Top Bottom