Banjo Uke - soprano or concert?

Papa-Ooke

Reaction score
Hey UU folks, I got UAS for a banjo uke. I've been researching brands and individual makers. I don't want to sink a bunch into it, because I just bought a Mainland Tenor Slot-head a couple of months ago. I think you can get an Eddy Finn concert from Uke Republic for about $268. But you can get a Waverly Street (handmade in USA) for $300. That's about where I want to be as far as price, no more than $300. My question is, soprano or concert? There is only about 1.5 inches difference in scale and length. Both with an 8 inch pot. Just wondering if anyone has a preference for size or brand. Thanks, Papa-Ooke.

I have a slight preference for soprano when it comes the banjo ukes, but really the pot size will have a lot more to do with the tone than the scale length.

Depends on your playing style. I feel a little "cramped" on my soprano with the 6" head, but it works pretty well with Formby style strumming. I have the Rally concert (same as the Eddy Finn) with a full resonator. I find it easier to play, but concert is my preferred size. As has been shown with other ukes, added scale length can add a little more fullness to the sound. I had a calfskin head put on my concert for a fuller, more "banjo like" tone. I intend on installing a Remo Renaissance head on my soprano. Would sure be useful if you could play both sizes before you bought.

Try both & see which one suits you. As PhilUSAFret says - soprano is great if you want to master Formby Style of playing as you have to stretch your fingers a fair bit all over the fret board ...... but if you have long slim fingers, you may still be able to do it OK on a Concert!

I have Concert Mainland Banjo Uke and love it - and can still 'fake' a bit of Formby Style - there is just more finger room on the Concert Scale length!

cheers

Roberta

Thanks guys for the input. I'm not a Formby style player and I have short fingers. As far as trying different ukes, nothing even close by that has ukes, much less banjo ukes, so it's an online thing for me. I emailed Mike at Mainland and he said he doesn't carry banjos any more, just parts. I wished he did, I love my Mainland Tenor. I've never had a soprano, only concert and tenor, maybe I better stick with a concert. I probably shouldn't experiment with a soprano and banjo at the same time. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't know if it was the banjo or the soprano that I didn't like. Anyway, the search is half the fun. Papa-Ooke

Lots of great used concert size banjo ukes. That Waverly is a sweetie, and of course there's the Gold Tones. I had my rally set up with new calfskin head, no-knot tailpiece, fret job. Sounds awesome.

I wouldn't overlook this Dutch banjo uke maker. He makes some really colorful instruments if you want something a little less "traditional looking." I also think they are an outstanding value, price wise:

http://database.ukulelecorner.co.uk/v/van-der-leden-wim

http://www.banjolele.net/sounds-and-links.html

Last edited:
I've been planning on buying a Gold Tone tenor banjolele with H-DGBE tuning. I think it will sound more like a banjo. Am I wrong? I like my concert Lanikai, but it's heavy and bulky. ;)

Good one, Papa-ooke. I don't suppose there are any uke groups within an easy drive of your location? Often someone will have a banjo uke that you may be able to try out.

A lot of the banjo ukes can be quite heavy and cumbersome - tricky to hold & play ...... depending on your 'health' you may prefer to find a lighter weight one with a pot that isn't too deep? Maybe ask about the weight - usually, the more brackets on them, the heavier they are (also usually better quality, too.) It can be a trade off ..... comfort & playablility vs weight & discomfort. There is no point getting an instrument that you don't play much if it doesn't suit you!

I eventually sold my Goldtone to one of my uke group members as it is quite 'heavy' & I preferred my lighter weight Mainland (shame Mike doesn't do them any more .... I brought 12 into Australia for my uke group & family!) They appear on Fleamarket now & then, so could be worth keeping an eye on here every other day ..... they tend to go 'fast' here!
https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

Also, of course, keep an eye on UU Classifieds as well!

Happy Hunting!
cheers
Roberta

Last edited:
what about the magic fluke company firefly?

That thing is almost too light. really fun and has a good 20's vibe to the sound (i picture it in like silent movie). I like it cause it was more ukulele than banjo. Mine is plastic and it was within my price range. I never get nervous with that cause it feel durable perfect for the beach camp fires etc.

Sorry if i ranted a little long i like it alot is all.

btw there is something about flukes and fleas i dont really like, but there is something about the firefly that feel perfect to me.

let me know if you want to learn more i think i spent like 229 cdn on it

My question is, soprano or concert? There is only about 1.5 inches difference in scale and length. Both with an 8 inch pot.
If they both have the same size pot, then the only real difference is the neck. The concert would be like a long-neck soprano. There won't be a noticeable difference in sound. Just depends on how much room your fingers like. :)

Good one, Papa-ooke. I don't suppose there are any uke groups within an easy drive of your location? Often someone will have a banjo uke that you may be able to try out.

A lot of the banjo ukes can be quite heavy and cumbersome - tricky to hold & play ...... depending on your 'health' you may prefer to find a lighter weight one with a pot that isn't too deep? Maybe ask about the weight - usually, the more brackets on them, the heavier they are (also usually better quality, too.) It can be a trade off ..... comfort & playablility vs weight & discomfort. There is no point getting an instrument that you don't play much if it doesn't suit you!

I eventually sold my Goldtone to one of my uke group members as it is quite 'heavy' & I preferred my lighter weight Mainland (shame Mike doesn't do them any more .... I brought 12 into Australia for my uke group & family!) They appear on Fleamarket now & then, so could be worth keeping an eye on here every other day ..... they tend to go 'fast' here!
https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

Also, of course, keep an eye on UU Classifieds as well!

Happy Hunting!
cheers
Roberta

Arpie, There are no uke groups in my area, I think I must be the only uker around. As far as a banjo with more weight and a lot of brackets being better quality, what about the Firefly with no brackets and very lightweight as I understand. Folks really seem to like it, I'm just a little unsure about it, because of the lack of brackets and weight. I saw one on the Wild Acoustics website called the Moonshine Banjo Uke. It appeared to be constructed similar to the Firefly, but I can't find any reviews or info on it. Still searching. Papa

what about the magic fluke company firefly?

That thing is almost too light. really fun and has a good 20's vibe to the sound (i picture it in like silent movie). I like it cause it was more ukulele than banjo. Mine is plastic and it was within my price range. I never get nervous with that cause it feel durable perfect for the beach camp fires etc.

Sorry if i ranted a little long i like it alot is all.

btw there is something about flukes and fleas i dont really like, but there is something about the firefly that feel perfect to me.

let me know if you want to learn more i think i spent like 229 cdn on it

Kwall, do you have a soprano or concert? I think they both have a 8" pot. So you really like it? It just seems hard to justify the cost for a plastic banjo. Maybe I'll investigate it a little more, any help would be appreciated. Papa

Check this out, Papa on Youtube Firefly Review - sounds great! Good Price too. Get it from a reputable store that checks the 'set up'!

cheers

Roberta

Check this out, Papa on Youtube Firefly Review - sounds great! Good Price too. Get it from a reputable store that checks the 'set up'!

cheers

Roberta

Arpie, that sounds really good and loud, and it's a soprano. Kwall really seemed to like his, maybe he'll chime in later. Papa

Ahaha sorry for the late response. Its the soprano but it doesnt feel as squished as my pono. The frets are nice and low. Magic fluke makes an uber quality build. Thier niche is plastic and they make great eco and cool ukuleles. I would call them up and order from them if you wanted one. You can get a wood fretboard but Its like 80 more.Its open back, but still very loud and alot of fun.

I agree with your plastic concern as some of the reviews online they look at it as a drum head with a fretboard. Though that is true, I would never be able to build that myself. They are all made in america even the remo drum head. If you wear the fretboard (never really heard of) they will replace it free within 3 years. The reason why I purchased it was due to the care free and excellent sound. I like the idea of lightweight too.

I hmmed and haweed over it but this forum raves so much about the company that they convinced me and i do not regret it. I havent really seen anything that is cheaper or as nice. I played the goldtone and in Canada they are around like 450ish and it sounded awful (my opinion some ppl love them) and I could not justify paying that much. I am not sure why but there arent really cheap banjo leles. like ive only seen stuff that is 150+

The Fluke Firefly is so lightweight and so easy to play. Since they're built here in the USA and built in a standardized factory sort of way, they're all well set-up straight from the factory, which is a bonus.
Very comfortable. Not as harsh maybe as a true banjolele. I really like the Firefly's tone and would definitely buy again if lost/broken.
Elderly will have them frequently (free shipping) and have a site-wide 10% coupon.

The Fluke Firefly is so lightweight and so easy to play. Since they're built here in the USA and built in a standardized factory sort of way, they're all well set-up straight from the factory, which is a bonus.
Very comfortable. Not as harsh maybe as a true banjolele. I really like the Firefly's tone and would definitely buy again if lost/broken.
Elderly will have them frequently (free shipping) and have a site-wide 10% coupon.

Igor, I checked out Elderly's website and it doesn't have the "10% OFF" advertisement showing like it has had in the past. So I sent an email asking about it, but no response yet. They did have two Firefly's, both soprano, one in maple and one in walnut, both with rosewood fingerboard, gigbag, and stand. The price is $268, which is about the usual for a soprano with these upgrades. But with 10% off it would run about $241, with free shipping, that would be a little more attractive. We'll see what they say when they respond. Papa

Surely you cant re-tighten the skin on a Firefly if it slackens off.....what then ???

Top Bottom