Glossy Ukes

It's not the gloss nor the satin, it's the finish thickness. If you want the ultimate in thin gloss, then go for French polish..
I'm sure you're right, Rick. Satin's innate thinness bested by French polish's super thinness. Gloss a relative laggard to both, especially if thick.

Gordon has mentioned several times in his videos, most recently two months ago in Lizzie P's Mya Moe video, that Mya Moes have reduced volume when a customer orders gloss. I've never actually owned or played a gloss Mya Moe, but owner/collector and UU member, Lizzie P, said her gloss MM was the quietest of the twelve or so MMs that she owns. .

I have owned two gloss Ponos, and two non-gloss Ponos; the gloss of those is a thick, lacquer-like finish, and I noted a distinct difference in sustain and volume in those that I owned. In fact, my gloss concert size, acacia Pono was so subdued, I sold it, on eBay, to a more loving home (hopefully to someone skilled at pickup installation...lol). So, my experience bears out your perspective, Rick. Yes.

To me, gloss's detrimental effects on sound are particularly noted in two instances: first, on woods that tend toward warmth, like Koa, acacia, etc. (I still own a gloss spruce-topped maple Pono tenor where the volume is less affected), and second, on smaller-bodied instruments (concerts and sopranos) that have less volume of air movement, and thus soundboard movement, to overcome a heavier gloss. Larger-bodied instruments (tenors and baritones) can better move that soundboard. Perhaps this is one of the reasons vintage Martin sopranos sound so special: no gloss (and the very vintage ones, as you say, Rick, are one step better, French polish).

Of course, these are generalities, as most will next mention a gloss KoAloha as being loud as an alley cat in heat. Which is true due to the monobrace, but also the relatively thin gloss, as to your point, Rick.

I've never had an issue with holding a gloss uke or excessive fingerprints, however.

Staci, when you after-market glossed your Kamaka (which did bring out the beauty, no question), did it affect the sound?

Last edited:
The gloss on my guitarlele is like a mirror! It's just that reflective. With that being said, it really isn't slippery at all. In fact, I feel that satin finished ukes like my Luna 8 string are easier to slip away from your fingers.

I have both glossy and matt finish. The glossy does not slip at all, but I find in very humid weather the glossy gets a little more sticky.

This is also my experience. My hands move on a satin finish neck slightly more quickly. And yeah, gloss does show off my fingerprints more. However...I just got a gorgeous curly koa soprano (thank you, Andrew & all at HMS!), and the beauty of the wood glowing through that gloss is indescribable. Satin finishes are lovely too, but they generally lack that holographic quality. In short, I like both types of finishes.

Ok, matte finish person here. I love the natural aspect of a matte finish. I have a 1940's non-gloss mahogany soprano and the wood has darkened with age and just glows. I

I am awaiting an Opio soprano from HMS, and the fact that it is a matte finish was a plus for me.

I would not turn down a good sounding ukulele based on a gloss finish, but it would not be my choice if there was an option.

Honestly, once I am in to playing, it could look like anything and I would not care. Where the finish is important is the smile factor when taking it out of the case. I don't see the spalted maple inlays on my matte concert when I play, but it brings me joy when I put it in my hands.

I agree! I don't use straps on any of mine, but don't notice much if any difference in holding them. Smudges do show a bit more on gloss but it just reminds me to wipe them down. I really prefer the look of gloss.

Yep....I agree!!!

I had a high gloss Big Island. It just never felt right, and I ended up trading it off. I think it was mainly because it kept sliding around under my arm whenever I played it. I now like matte finish much better.

I never understand the vehemence some people have against choices that are not their own, i.e., gloss vs satin, low g vs high g, expensive ukes vs. lower priced ukes. It is none of my business what other folks prefer, and if it makes you happy, it is the right choice.

I don't think there is vehemence but some people ask for an opinion and don't like the answers. If you ask what do you think of " INSERT TOPIC" , then honest opinions should be given. For all my ukes, I don't care if people don't like it as long as I like it. Why do we need affirmation from a forum?

I don't think there is vehemence but some people ask for an opinion and don't like the answers. If you ask what do you think of " INSERT TOPIC" , then honest opinions should be given. For all my ukes, I don't care if people don't like it as long as I like it. Why do we need affirmation from a forum?

I never understand why people need to assign intent to decision other people makes. Recently, I had to once again argue against the old canard that "People who have multiple ukes are focused on collecting, not music."

BTW, I prefer gloss finish, and I have never had a problem with them slipping around. If you like satin and find gloss slipperier than an eel, we can still be friends. :)

You want to talk fingerprints and smudges - just look at a National style 0 uke after an hour of playing!

For me it's satin, french polish or a semi-gloss like on a koaloha. Not a fan of hi gloss in my hands although I can't argue with the beauty of the wood it brings out.

Ooooooh....... shiny!
My best uke has a gloss finish. It's loud and has glorious tone. Well done, nothing looks better to my eyes.

Staci, when you after-market glossed your Kamaka (which did bring out the beauty, no question), did it affect the sound?

Hmm, that is a good question. I wish I had paid more attention so I could answer it properly. I am not sure. I tend to stick with one uke for a while and after that I jumped to the Kanilea, then KoAloha uke. I will say my Kanilea is definitely the most quiet of the three I own. I don't know if the finish is why. The Kamaka was always the medium in volume between the KoAloha (as you say alley cat in heat volume - haha), and the quieter Kanilea. Hmm, now I wish I had paid more attention - same uke, different finish, it would have helped answer that question. Regrettably, both my attention to detail - and memory - are lacking.

Last edited:
Ooooooh....... shiny!
My best uke has a gloss finish. It's loud and has glorious tone. Well done, nothing looks better to my eyes.

Taking a guess it is your Takumi Koa concert....those are built by Kawakami in Vancouver...I think,I saw the uke at HMS nice finish and great sound....congrats....:)

I'm sure you're right, Rick. Satin's innate thinness bested by French polish's super thinness. Gloss a relative laggard to both, especially if thick.

Gordon has mentioned several times in his videos, most recently two months ago in Lizzie P's Mya Moe video, that Mya Moes have reduced volume when a customer orders gloss. I've never actually owned or played a gloss Mya Moe, but owner/collector and UU member, Lizzie P, said her gloss MM was the quietest of the twelve or so MMs that she owns. .

I have owned two gloss Ponos, and two non-gloss Ponos; the gloss of those is a thick, lacquer-like finish, and I noted a distinct difference in sustain and volume in those that I owned. In fact, my gloss concert size, acacia Pono was so subdued, I sold it, on eBay, to a more loving home (hopefully to someone skilled at pickup installation...lol). So, my experience bears out your perspective, Rick. Yes.

To me, gloss's detrimental effects on sound are particularly noted in two instances: first, on woods that tend toward warmth, like Koa, acacia, etc. (I still own a gloss spruce-topped maple Pono tenor where the volume is less affected), and second, on smaller-bodied instruments (concerts and sopranos) that have less volume of air movement, and thus soundboard movement, to overcome a heavier gloss. Larger-bodied instruments (tenors and baritones) can better move that soundboard. Perhaps this is one of the reasons vintage Martin sopranos sound so special: no gloss (and the very vintage ones, as you say, Rick, are one step better, French polish).
The only difference between satin varnish and gloss varnish is the addition of fine particles that have to be stirred from the bottom.I don't know haw it works with nitro, but it seems like you could achieve a gloss finish that is thinner than satin. I think More depends on the application. I could be wrong. this isfrom Koaloha about their satin finish.
"The KoAloha satin is still a nitrocellulose sprayed finish but the final coats are sprayed satin. This is less reflective and has a woody look and smooth feel many have come to prefer. "

The only difference between satin varnish and gloss varnish is the addition of fine particles that have to be stirred from the bottom.I don't know haw it works with nitro, but it seems like you could achieve a gloss finish that is thinner than satin. I think More depends on the application. I could be wrong. this isfrom Koaloha about their satin finish.
"The KoAloha satin is still a nitrocellulose sprayed finish but the final coats are sprayed satin. This is less reflective and has a woody look and smooth feel many have come to prefer. "

have you seen the Ko'Aloha's built in the last few months....they are now coming out with a much more gloss finish...the Special Edition ones are as glossy as I have ever seen and with nicer Koa too.. it is still done with nitro so looks like a pretty thin finish...

they still do the Satin type finishes but they seem to be changing their final finish lately...to me it is very nice....IMO

I believe only the thickness of the finish affects the tone, not whether it's gloss, or................. Just my opinion on the matter.

You would think that a high gloss finish would be more slippery, especially when wet (playing someplace hot or rainy - or both!) but I have not really found that to be the case. Yes, afterwards, that sweat and oil and fingerprints do show up on a glossy ukulele more but I keep a microfiber cloth in each of my ukulele cases to do a quick cleanup after every session.

I have a bunch of glossy ukuleles and a bunch of satin ones and a few that are in between. I prefer the glossy where there is great wood underneath. My satin ones have rather plain wood and that's just fine.

Im all for Satin finish, never been a high gloss person but I do love to look at them. In my head I think satin intruments sound good, would not say better, and they look more real if that makes any sense. To each his own and pretty cool to read all the different perspectives on this subject.

Didn't Kamaka recently switch to a more glossy nitro finish?

kind of...but Kamka's newest finish is a really smooth satin finish(maybe been doing it for 4 months now)...same as Kanile'a...they have a UV silk finish, done the same as their gloss finish but they do not do the last step to make in gloss(don't know how they do it) different from their Satin finish

Top Bottom