Glossy Ukes

I am having a satin finished uke, and the smudges on the soundboard really concern me (my hand easily get sweaty and oily). I am thinking of purchasing a glossy one so that the soundboard is better protected (and the smudge cleaning is easier).

I never understand the vehemence some people have against choices that are not their own, i.e., gloss vs satin, low g vs high g, expensive ukes vs. lower priced ukes. It is none of my business what other folks prefer, and if it makes you happy, it is the right choice.

Well said but if the forum actually took that approach the wildest, craziest posts... and, consequently, the most entertaining......would disappear.

I prefer satin finishes. They just look more natural to me. Not sure why natural would be a good thing. I just like it.

It's not the gloss nor the satin, it's the finish thickness. If you want the ultimate in thin gloss, then go for French polish...but few of the current uke buying public will because it's too fragile. However, you can bet your booty that any ukes made before about 1927 were French polished, brush shellacked, or brush varnished. I'd love to be able to get away with a two day French polish, but you, the market, just won't go for it.

What do you mean 'fragile'? Does the finish get rubbed off easily? I think Timms ukes have a french polish and I remember some type of note warning about damage from hand moisturizers etc.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_polish

It's not so much that it gets "rubbed off easily", it's that it's vulnerable to sweat, alcohol, etc., and it's incredibly thin, so it will wear more easily and won't protect from minor scratches...or major ones...like lacquer and especially polyester will.

Also, there are not a hell of a lot of people who know how to do it correctly, and French polishing a uke properly would cost more than most folks think a whole uke is worth. For a guitar, for instance, you're looking at an $800.00 to $1,000.00 finish job. That's after the instrument is built.

Top Bottom