Check my uke? What case do you recommend

I actually did, i focused on PAL as i travel a lot with them and they told me that it really is a new "guidance" issued from FAA but it is enforced at the discretion of the head flight steward on the actual plane you are traveling on. So if they want they can allow it on, if not, not...

I would venture to say that there are no actual "safety rules" about the possible use of instrument strings as weapons. Some employee got a crazy idea one day and it spread. I would contact the airline for clarification.

I carry mine on. A concert meets the carry-on guidelines and it's my "personal item." Works best with a window seat. I slide the big end along my feet and there's no obstruction. I'd only check a uke I didn't care if I saw again.

I would just hate to check it - regardless of the case. My hometown is also the home of Unclaimed Baggage - where all the lost luggage ends up. They sift through it (tons) and then sell, store, toss it. You'd be amazed at the stuff that has come through that place.

My daughter is heading off for the Peace Corp on Sunday and is, of course, bringing her uke. She's serving in Tonga (South Pacific island near Somoa). She hopes to take it as carry on and will be using several different carrier, Florida to LA, LA to Fiji, Fiji to Tonga. She only has a padded gig bag for her Kala, so checking it is not an option at this point. Hope she isn't hassled.

Hmm paded gigbag is too risky to be checked in.

Its good to remember not to carry too much with you on the plane. Most airlines allow one carry on luggage and another bag. If you have a carry-on luggage with a computer laptop or a large purse, you'll run the risk of checking in your uke. If I travel with a uke, I'll sure have my laptop bag checked in and carry my uke instead.

I have travelled with a tenor ukulele almost continuously for the last three years and it's only in Asia and only for the last few months that anyone gave me a hard time. So long as I counted the uke as a piece of carry on all my US travel has been without a hitch.

I toured for many years with an artist who played classical guitars of the expensive (>$20K) variety. When we had to fly, and were sick of fighting to carry one on, he got Calton cases. Not sure if they make a specific uke case (I know they do Mandolin). It would certainly be worth inquiring. http://www.calton-cases.com

Top Bottom