.-' Seeking: squeakless/polished WOUND C? '-.

Booli

Reaction score
I am here, to humbly submit myself to the wisdom of the UU Oracle(s)...

I am on a quest for a SQUEAKLESS POLISHED wound C string, to go on a re-entrant C-tuned tenor....

I already know about the Fremont SQUEAKLESS POLISHED wound low-G string, and have used it before (as a low-G string), and this string is 0.030" - I am not sure you can tune it up a fourth to C4 and use it as your 3 string as a wound string.

I am afraid it will snap, and hesitate to test it without knowing someone else has succeeded before me.

Is there A SIMILAR magical string to use like the Fremont, but for the C string?

Do I have to spend $7 for single string of the Thomastk-Infeld CF27 (0.027") and use that?

If not, then what is the standard thinking for a wound C string? What do you use?

Over a dozen different sets of different fluorocarbon strings, I am finding that their unwound fluoro C string seems to be floppy and sound kind of dead to me, regardless of the string set, save for Fremont Blacklines Hard Tension set for Tenor scale.

I have many MANY sets of Worths (both Brown and Clear) as well as Martins) and have mixed and matched different strings for the elusive C string, and it seems the only way now is the Aquila REDS C string, or a wound string that is in the range of 0.030"-0.038 (like one of the D'Adarrio singles, but they are not polished for squeak-less operation)...

so...

Please help me, please educate me.:)

Your supplicant,

Booli :bowdown:

Do yourself a favor and try Southcoast strings.http://www.southcoastukes.com/string sets.htm Sounds like you have the same boxful of string sets so many of us have trying to find the magical string. Course different ukes need different strings. So far, the Southcoast has come the closet for me. Dirk has sections to read on the whys' and what for's in the tips section.

You could contact him about a polished string.

Do yourself a favor and try Southcoast strings.....You could contact him about a polished string.

Patrick: Thanks for the reply. I've looked over Southcoast's site a few times, as it's been necessary to try and filter all the info in order to understand it all - there's such a wealth of information there.

I'll give it another read. Also, I will send a PM to Dirk and see what he says.

Hopefully the experiences of those that have traveled this path before can be shared here in this thread. I know I can't be the only ukulele player who has had this question.

You need to get the smooth wound and not the round wound if you don't want squeaks

I have Southcoasts with wound C on my tenor and it is not completely squeakless, but not distractingly squeaky, either.

I have spoken to Dirk many times and I have tried to understand his website, but it's too complex for me. I, personally, think he'd sell a ton more stings if he just simplified it. "Here's a low-G for tenors, wound. Here's a low G for tenors, unwound." The science and music theory behind it all leaves my mouth dry. lol But, he is a truly helpful man and I have emailed him many times with my dunce cap on, and Dirk helps me.

g'luck, booli.

Top Bottom