I think I just accidentally played Tom Petty.

Bookworm

Reaction score
I'm sitting here and I start playing a random chord progression.
Em, C, G, D...
Wait a minute, this sounds familiar.
Em, C, G, D...
What is that?
Em, C, G, D...
Free fallin' now I'm, free fallin'
Yeah I'm free fallin' now I'm, free fallin'...

No idea if those are the right chords or not, but it seems to work. The weird thing is, I don't even listen to Tom Petty.

Hi Bookworm,

Keep doodling with chord progressions. Let me know when you figure out "American Girl"

If you consider chord theory for a minute, Gmaj is the root (I) chord, Cmaj is the 4th (IV), Dmaj is the fifth(V) and Emin is the 6th(VI) chords. SOO many songs are made up of I,IV,V and VI. It could be just about anything. You can "rule the world" with those 4 chords.

Anthony

Google "axis of awesome" (funny) and watch the vid. You'll see how many songs share the same basic chord progression.

It's called "noodling" and all kinds of fun things happen when one does it. It's a great thing to do to pass the time when you should be practicing. :eek:ld:

I have been noodling the chords for runaround sue for three weeks now

Happened to me last week with Brown Eyed Girl. Love noodling!

Most songs I play I've started to learn on accident as well. I just figured out a couple Phish tunes the other day (Waste, and Silent in the Morning).

Although ironic, the accidental songs are the ones that really make me feel like I've accomplished something.

As Anthony mentioned, playing I, V, VI, IV or I, IV, V progressions will allow you to figure out tons of song.

Brown Eyed Girl is great for learning sixths.

If you consider chord theory for a minute, Gmaj is the root (I) chord, Cmaj is the 4th (IV), Dmaj is the fifth(V) and Emin is the 6th(VI) chords. SOO many songs are made up of I,IV,V and VI. It could be just about anything. You can "rule the world" with those 4 chords.

Anthony
Why is the 6th chord a minor when all the rest are majors?

Why is the 6th chord a minor when all the rest are majors?

Let's look at the notes in the key of C scale: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. If you start from the C and play the 3rd and 5th note to make a chord, then you have the following:

C, E, G (Major)
D, F, A (Minor)
E, G, B (Minor)
F, A, C (Major)
G, B, D (Major)
A, C, E (Minor)
B, D, F (Diminished)

A chord is a major or minor by the 3rd note. If there is an interval of 4 half notes, then it's a major and 3 half notes, then it's a minor. The 5th note will have an interval of 7 half notes from the 1st note to make up the chord. However, the 7th note in this case B, has an interval of 3 half notes from 1st to 3rd and 3 half notes from 3rd to 5th, which makes it a diminished chord.

So knowing the notes in any scale will let you know why the chord is a major or minor.

Let's look at the notes in the key of C scale: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. If you start from the C and play the 3rd and 5th note to make a chord, then you have the following:

C, E, G (Major)
D, F, A (Minor)
E, G, B (Minor)
F, A, C (Major)
G, B, D (Major)
A, C, E (Minor)
B, D, F (Diminished)

A chord is a major or minor by the 3rd note. If there is an interval of 4 half notes, then it's a major and 3 half notes, then it's a minor. The 5th note will have an interval of 7 half notes from the 1st note to make up the chord. However, the 7th note in this case B, has an interval of 3 half notes from 1st to 3rd and 3 half notes from 3rd to 5th, which makes it a diminished chord.

So knowing the notes in any scale will let you know why the chord is a major or minor.
Thank you. I have very little musical background, and you explained that very well. I actually understand what you said.

Thank you. I have very little musical background, and you explained that very well. I actually understand what you said.

I only learned this stuff a few weeks ago. After learning a few basic stuff, playing became easier and I became less reliant on sheet music.

Tom Petty himself probably said "I think I just accidentally played Tom Petty" when he wrote his first song, so you are in excellent company! :)

Tony

:cheers:Thanks ck1 for the "American Girl" chords. You don't happen to have the '1812 Overture' as well do you? Is that in low G ?

Fred Ukestone,
Bedrock,
Arkansas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom