Laminate vs Solid Wood

Particularly when it comes to semi-acoustic instruments it may be worth noting that possibly the most popular ever jazz guitar made by Gibson, the ES 175 - played by such luminaries as Joe Pass and Pat Metheny, are made from laminate. I own an L4 (solid spruce carved top) and a 175 and my 175 sounds better both amplified and acoustically. I think any of the many owners of vintage laminate archtops would be quite surprised to to hear them refered to as ply. At the end of the day the only statement that can be made with any certainty is that "Some laminate instruments will sound different to some solid tops, but then some solids will also sound different.

I have a Kala archtop tenor which sounds great to me. Acoustically it's not too thin or bright, it's quite punchy with a more rapid decay and not too ringing. It's perfect for jazz, but a folk or country player would probably prefer a harsher tone. There definitely seems to be a slight solid wood snobery with uke players, but I would say go with you own ears and taste. I'm sure there are some really bad solid wood ukes out there.

It's funny, but time and time again I see the question "How can I tell if a uke is made from ply?" on forums, and many experts respond with advice about looking in soundholes etc - If they sound so much better why would you need to look in the soundhole?

There are many reasons for using laminate and many for using solid wood. Neither choice is definitively better than the other. The test is in the quality of the finished instrument.

I have a personal preference for solid mahogany 'ukuleles. They have the sound that, in general, speaks to me. That said, different models and different strings make a world of difference. I have played solid mahogany ukes that weren't my cup of tea at all. If I were shopping I would probably look at solid ukes first. Not because they are "better", just that I like what I am familiar with, and I also like the way solid woods mature and change slightly with age and playing.

If anyone tells you that laminate is just a way of making cheap ukes look better, I would suggest that you take that for the uninformed, inexperienced over-simplification that it is. Listen to each instrument and judge on its merits. There are some great laminate instruments, just as there are some cr@ppy solid ones.

I guess my mileage wasn't that deviant afterall :)

I also prefer solid mahogany ukes. I like them and am pleased with them. But my Sprucehouse is a solid top/laminate side-back, and I have a Kiwaya KS1 on order (if UPS ever gets me the right uke.) So even a confirmed mahogany man enjoys his laminates.

Why not try both? :)

Any pearls of wisdom between laminates and solids where humidity or lack thereof comes in to play?? I have a solid Koa and live at a 4000 ft level with very low humidity, unless it's raining, and that's not very often. I am currently using a case humidifier that keeps the Uke at 40 to 45% humidity. Is that good enough??

I'm sorry, folks, but you're all wrong. The correct answer is metal. The best ukes are made of bell brass.
ukesteel.jpg

That is all.

;p

lol, well two can play this game.

The real real correct answer is actually... dual-coiled magnetic coils!

321_0.jpg

...Or maybe the real answer is solid steel with a synthetic head:
180U-868_front.jpg

Aww, c´mon. This is the 21st century. Obviously "Plastic" is the answer. Although it has to be solid plastic, of course!

Aww, c´mon. This is the 21st century. Obviously "Plastic" is the answer. Although it has to be solid plastic, of course!

Plastic is one of my favorite tonewoods.

I think some people may prefer Curly Plastic but I think it disrupts the sound waves too much...

Any pearls of wisdom between laminates and solids where humidity or lack thereof comes in to play?? I have a solid Koa and live at a 4000 ft level with very low humidity, unless it's raining, and that's not very often. I am currently using a case humidifier that keeps the Uke at 40 to 45% humidity. Is that good enough??

As I understand it, 40-60% is a good range. Pretty much the same sort of range that you might find comfortable for yourself. And it's not as if the thing will spontaneously crack at the precise second the humidity drops below 39%. You should be fine.

You know, maybe PLASTIC really is the way to go. Many top of the range monitor speakers found in professional recording studios come in synthetic cabinets. I mean with plastic you can have total control over its acoustic qualities and and its consistency. Materials like graphite have been used in high end electric guitars for some time now.

Anyways, I thought this sounded pretty cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teWYLFRJjU

the real enemy

While I used to have the "solid wood is for snobs" attitude, I do see the appeal of solid wood, both aesthetically and sonically. I've played a solid Pono baritone and said to myself, "This is nice, but I can live without this." I've played a solid Martin soprano, too (my teacher has one), and that blew my mind.

You know what really does bother me, though? Gloss finish snobbery. Can we all just unite and hate on that?:drool:

Last edited:
For the beginning player, the difference is $200 to $500, and maaaaaaaybe you'll have a good enough ear to tell the difference.

Top Bottom