Best (in your opinion) Tenor for ~$1000

l3uffer

Reaction score
Like the title says. If you were to only own one tenor (the tenor to end all tenors, at least until regression of UAS begins in a year or so) that cost you around $1000 (no more than $1.8k and no less than $400), what would you get? Brownie points for pictures and/or videos, and extra brownie points for sticking close to $1000 (I say this only because I just put brownie mix in the oven and am not really that serious haha.)
Ready?... Go!

Last edited:
A KoAloha - great tone, huge volume, and the best warranty/customer service in the industry. Hawaii Music Supply has two in stock right now, one for $949 and one for $1049.

These Pono Pro Classics are pretty nice, and recently saw a significant price reduction. Used to be $969, now $775. I've played a couple of these newer ones (w/ radius fretboard, koa binding, etc) and I was really impressed. They are solid players with great tone and excellent fit and finish. Best value out there, in my opinion.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-rtsh-s.html

That said, I second some of the other commenters choices. I've never tried an Ono, but have heard nothing but praise. I'm a huge Collings fan, but I would recommend reaching for the UT2 or UT2K. You can watch the boards for used ones and often find (at least) the UT2 mahogany for very close to your target price. I believe they are quite a bit better than the UT1's, with different bracing, and of course the nice Collings gloss finish. Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-COLLI...760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2593c7efd0

Good luck in your search!

-Steve

Last edited:
A KoAloha - great tone, huge volume, and the best warranty/customer service in the industry. Hawaii Music Supply has two in stock right now, one for $949 and one for $1049.

I agree with this.

I would buy a basic cutaway LFDM for $1,800 and if I wanted brownie points, I would get a used Kamaka due to its history and resale value.

Collings UT-2 or UT-2K or Pono Pro Classic with the slot head and radius, either Rosewood with a cedar top, or hog with spruce according to one's preference. Also a vote for the right Kanile'a.

(2)RTSH PCC5.jpg
RTSH PCC7.jpg
UT2 front.jpg
UT2too.jpg
IMG_0227 copy.jpg

Okay then... time for me to add a bit of background info!
Thanks to all of you guys for your comments! It's really helped me think about what I'm going to get next!

My list for my next tenor (from most likely to least likely to buy, a stepping stone to the $1.5k-$2k range) is as follows:
- Blackbird BTU Carbon Fiber Tenor w/case ($1,000, McCabe's)
- Ojai Valley Redwood/Mahogany Tenor ($730, Anacapa)
- KoAloha Tenor 2012 ($959, Reverb)
- KoAloha Tenor 2014 ($1,000, Fretted Frog/USpace)
- Romero Creations Solid Koa "Grand Tenor" ($800, HMS)
- Pono ATSH Pro Classic Acacia Tenor w/case ($719, HMS)

These are the ones that have really caught my eye when looking around (funny how I've spent my free time extensively researching ukes instead of other productive things.. lol), where acoustic sound is my number one priority and durability is a really close second. I might be taking my uke with me to Mexico several times so bringing a fancy Kanile'a or KoAloha kind of makes me think twice being in the desert and all... hahaha. Blackbird is first on the list because of the durability, but its acoustic sound makes me think twice for a KoAloha or otherwise
Also, I feel as though Kanile'a, Collings, Pono, and maybe even Covered Bridge are braced in such a way that sort of restricts their voice, unlike KoAloha (or Ojai Valley!), where you can hear each note loud and clear. I relatively like Kanile'a's and Collings' voicing, but not enough to justify the price point hahah!

Also, my dream ukes (because I don't see the point of extending past $2.3k for an uke) are probably a Southcoast Tenor Largo and one, maybe two, ukes from Mya-Moe.

What I have right now are ironically all made out of some kind of mahogany (I didn't even notice this until I bought my fourth) - a Pono MS made in 2012 (when they were still in China), a KoAlana Soprano, a Kala Okoume Tenor from HMS, a 1960's Giannini baritone (possibly my best sounding/most impressive uke yet), and a recently acquired KoAlana Concert from Isaac (ukulelelab).

So, two things I'd like to add:
1) No all-hog ukes... I think 5 is enough for a lifetime... though if it were just hog back/sides, I would consider it
2) I don't know if my thoughts on this is justified, but I have a pretty big preference on satin over gloss (although my Giannini is the only gloss I own)... part of me thinks I can hear a difference in the sound, and another part of me just doesn't like the sheen - it just makes it feel either fake or super expensive to me haha.

Two more things I'd like to ask:
1) Anyone know how much an Ono tenor would cost? I know (or think) David Ingalls has studied a bunch of different popular brands (including Kamaka and KoAloha) so I assume he's found his own mix of it all, which makes me interested. I would email him, but I don't want to shoot him an email that may not lead to a future build :/
2) Blackbird vs. KoAloha. Which would you choose?

I think this is all about what 'sound' and style you prefer from your one and only uke. I like the more guitar style of uke rather than the traditional Hawaiian koa uke as i play all fingerstyle and chord melody stuff.

I'm Kinnard all the way (rosewood and spruce is my personal choice), for me it's the most sweet sounding uke for the music i like to play.

2) Blackbird vs. KoAloha. Which would you choose?

Koaloha, hands down. I've played that Blackbird at McCabe's and while it certainly has a "cool factor" the sound doesn't make me wish I played tenor. Koa tenors do though - but the truth is, my favorite tenor of all is Kamaka but I see that didn't make your short list :)

And big props to you for trying before you buy and supporting the local shops (and HMS, which from all the raves I've heard appears to be the next best thing).

2) I don't know if my thoughts on this is justified, but I have a pretty big preference on satin over gloss (although my Giannini is the only gloss I own)... part of me thinks I can hear a difference in the sound, and another part of me just doesn't like the sheen - it just makes it feel either fake or super expensive to me haha.

I share the same sentiment. I wonder how many others do as well. It takes something away rather then adds in my opinion. Would be interested to see what options you come up with if you decide that is a priority in your purchase.

Last edited:
I like a satin or semi gloss as well...........until I bought my Koaloha. I don't even notice it as gloss anymore because I am playing it all the time and loving the sound. Guess you know what I am voting for. Mexico does not even factor into the equation, just bring one of your other ukes down there.

So, 13uffer, you said, "(because I don't see the point of extending past $2.3k for an uke)." which is perfectly fine and your business, so don't feel as if you need to defend the statement (not that I am attacking it), but I am curious, why that cut-off? Is just an arbitrary number, or is there some reason for it? I mean, if you'd said a two grand uke or a three thousand dollar one, or anything over some round number ... but $2.3k ... ?

Koaloha, hands down.

FWIW, I agree. But you might want to try a Blackbird Clara. Not a tenor, but its tone and projection are better than my KoAloha slimline tenor. (My Blackbird Clara and KoAloha slimline are my current go-to ukes.)

... but the truth is, my favorite tenor of all is Kamaka but I see that didn't make your short list :)

Actually, I was thinking about a Kamaka HF-3, and was able to try one at USpace, but once I did try it and compare prices to the KoAloha right next to it, I opted more towards the KoAloha mainly because of the better price point and the sound (although it could just be those strings... what does Kamaka see in their thunky black nylon strings other than nostalgia?). I visited Kaye's Music Scene (the guy is totally sold out for Kanile'a... asked him about KoAloha and he had no clue about them) and met George, who told me about Kanile'a and Kamaka and how Kamaka has been kind of declining in quality. I could kind of tell when I tried a vintage Kamaka pineapple with its contemporary counterpart at Anacapa, but then again (as well), the strings may have skewed the result more towards the older model... the older one had some kind of flurocarbon strings while the newer one had stock strings.
When I visited Anacapa, I also tried a lot of the tenors they had, and my heart was tied between two of them - a KoAloha tenor made in (June?) 2014 and an Ojai Valley tenor (second on my list) that absolutely blew me away... the sound is comparable only to the KoAloha (and possibly better), set at a lower price point, and is a locally made uke (in Ojai Valley, CA no less). One thing I could say is that construction was a bit sloppy (dots were not really "perfectly" aligned, and body shape may have been a bit asymmetrical) but I totally loved that uke nonetheless.. I just hope it's still around when I actually make my choice next year hahah!

And big props to you for trying before you buy and supporting the local shops (and HMS, which from all the raves I've heard appears to be the next best thing).

I think I would be supporting the local shops if I actually bought from all of them... most of them I've just been this random guy who came in one day, tried a few of the pricey ukes, and left. LOL
At the same time, I'm leaning more towards a local shop over places like HMS and Elderly just because of the perks of continued service - Fretted Frog gives 10% off repairs, lessons, and other little things, USpace/Anacapa offers lifetime service for their ukes, and Folk Music has a really relatable repair staff. I guess Brad is right when he says that it's important for the shop to offer the "the rare and important practice of playing your instrument before you buy" haha. It's also great to see the different staff in those music stores and know who really will have your back and who's doing it just for the money... USpace/Anacapa, Folk Music, and Fretted Frog will definitely have this guy for a repeat customer! (the others, not so sure)

I share the same sentiment. I wonder how many others do as well. It takes something away rather then adds in my opinion. Would be interested to see what options you come up with if you decide that is a priority in your purchase.

Actually, the only satin finish uke on my short list up there is the Ojai Valley uke. If KoAloha made a Pikake tenor, I'd be more inclined to buy that (maybe if I buy from Brad at USpace/Anacapa, I can ask him to refinish it in satin as an experiment? xD). Also, my "dream ukes" are more in the "satin finish" realm than the gloss... I don't think that's much of a coincidence?
A lot of people like the gloss because of the mirror finish, and I kind of get that. However, I'd like my uke to look more like it came from a piece of wood than from a Ferrari (no offense), but that's just my opinion haha

Mexico does not even factor into the equation, just bring one of your other ukes down there.

I think I would, but at the same time, I'd like to have my number one with me at least once when I'm down there hahaha
Plus, having a -carbon fibre- tenor just appeals to me... Steven Sharp Nelson, the cellist for the Piano Guys, has like 12 cellos in at least four different materials (solid steel, wood, electric, and carbon fibre!) and he says that experimenting with the different materials for (get this) percussion sounds makes a difference! I dunno if I'm ever going to be able to go all Tommy Emmanuel on my uke, but the different material is really what landed it at the top of my list. Plus, this isn't going to be my last uke.. if I were to have 8 ukes total in 5 years, it would make a bit more sense of 1/8 of those ukes was a whole lot different than the others.
At the same time, my two KoAlanas and the many KoAlohas I've tried continues to convince me otherwise... hmmm....

So, 13uffer, you said, "(because I don't see the point of extending past $2.3k for an uke)." which is perfectly fine and your business, so don't feel as if you need to defend the statement (not that I am attacking it), but I am curious, why that cut-off? Is just an arbitrary number, or is there some reason for it? I mean, if you'd said a two grand uke or a three thousand dollar one, or anything over some round number ... but $2.3k ... ?
Kind of arbitrary. I'm stuck between $2k and $2.5k, so I just settled in the somewhat middle and went with 2.3 for no reason! Haha! But if I actually had that money to make a purchase, I would definitely give it more thought on where I would draw the line.

But you might want to try a Blackbird Clara. Not a tenor, but its tone and projection are better than my KoAloha slimline tenor.
I wish! The uke shops around LA are diverse enough, but sadly I haven't found a lot of the ukes I'd like to try, including the Clara. I would have signed up for that travelling Clara, but I think going to Germany for three months starting this next Saturday sort of disqualifies me from that haha.
One place I haven't tried yet is Island Bazaar... hopefully they'll have a few more that I haven't seen in person yet.
As for ukes that I've seen but not yet met in person - the list goes on beyond the Clara, the Grand Tenor, and dozens more :(

Last edited:
Actually, I was thinking about a Kamaka HF-3, and was able to try one at USpace, but once I did try it and compare prices to the KoAloha right next to it, I opted more towards the KoAloha mainly because of the better price point and the sound (although it could just be those strings... what does Kamaka see in their thunky black nylon strings other than nostalgia?). I visited Kaye's Music Scene (the guy is totally sold out for Kanile'a... asked him about KoAloha and he had no clue about them) and met George, who told me about Kanile'a and Kamaka and how Kamaka has been kind of declining in quality. I could kind of tell when I tried a vintage Kamaka pineapple with its contemporary counterpart at Anacapa, but then again (as well), the strings may have skewed the result more towards the older model... the older one had some kind of flurocarbon strings while the newer one had stock strings.
When I visited Anacapa, I also tried a lot of the tenors they had, and my heart was tied between two of them - a KoAloha tenor made in (June?) 2014 and an Ojai Valley tenor (second on my list) that absolutely blew me away... the sound is comparable only to the KoAloha (and possibly better), set at a lower price point, and is a locally made uke (in Ojai Valley, CA no less). One thing I could say is that construction was a bit sloppy (dots were not really "perfectly" aligned, and body shape may have been a bit asymmetrical) but I totally loved that uke nonetheless.. I just hope it's still around when I actually make my choice next year hahah!

Oh THOSE STRINGS, ugh! It's a near-impossible comparison to make with another uke unless the shop lets you swap them out for something different! I think Kamakas sound great with fluorocarbons, and the concerts and tenors can sound really good with Aquila Nylguts. (The sopranos... not so much.)

As for the Ojai Valley uke - that's a new one for me, had to look him up. The locally made bit would be a great selling point for me. As for the dots not being perfectly aligned - I've owned a handmade custom that had a similar quirk. Didn't bother me a bit since it just added to the uniqueness of the instrument - in fact, it didn't even register as an "issue" until another player asked me if it bothered me. I honestly hadn't ever thought about it until then.

I think I would be supporting the local shops if I actually bought from all of them... most of them I've just been this random guy who came in one day, tried a few of the pricey ukes, and left. LOL
At the same time, I'm leaning more towards a local shop over places like HMS and Elderly just because of the perks of continued service - Fretted Frog gives 10% off repairs, lessons, and other little things, USpace/Anacapa offers lifetime service for their ukes, and Folk Music has a really relatable repair staff. I guess Brad is right when he says that it's important for the shop to offer the "the rare and important practice of playing your instrument before you buy" haha. It's also great to see the different staff in those music stores and know who really will have your back and who's doing it just for the money... USpace/Anacapa, Folk Music, and Fretted Frog will definitely have this guy for a repeat customer! (the others, not so sure)

I've heard good things about all of these places. I bought my first good uke (Koaloha Pikake soprano) at Folk Music Center and had a fantastic customer-service experience - if I lived closer, I'd definitely spend time there. I'm five minutes from McCabe's, have been going there since I was a kid, and have some good friends who work there, so that's my go-to shop. They do "little things" for regulars as well - if you take lessons or classes there, I think all merchandise is 15% off, and they do stand by the instruments they sell. Customer service, sadly, can be hit or miss, especially when you're not a familiar face. As for that Clara - if you're nearby, talk to the buyer (Lou) to see if he can get one in.

Top Bottom