NGD again, been awhile

Teek

Reaction score
I generally never post NUDs but this NGD is a good one! And the guitar forum needs some new posts!

My last guitar purchase about a year or more ago was a vintage Harmony spruce topped mahogany tenor so it doesn't count as much. I have been looking for that just right steel string acoustic guitar sound and so finally gave up and just got another guitar, this time a REAL guitar, a Tacoma C1C Chief which is a Wing model. I knew the scale length of about 25.5 was well out of my range but figured I'd capo it. After tuning it up and playing it a bit with and without the capo I was thinking eh it's nice and all that but maybe the strings need more settling. Then I thought Oh wait a minute and dug out a pick, holy moly what a brilliant guitar! My fingers just aren't up to full size steel yet and I also never use a pick so something else to learn.

I had tried to pick up a lovely little Tacoma PM-20 parlor and it was already gone the day that I could go look. I will still keep an eye out for one of those but think the Chief may have a little better depth. Anybody looking I don't think you can go wrong with any Tacoma barring of course issues from mistreatment.

I know I will never really do it justice (just like my ukes) but I wanted to see if I could get some stretch in my old hands before they get a lot older and it's too late, so this was a bucket list guitar and I decided not to wait any longer. Solves the problem of wanting to play some guitar tabs when I can't find them for uke. And sometimes I really want those bass notes. I am actually getting some pretty clean notes out of it that sounds like music and that is what makes me happy! I also have had a Tacoma Papoose for several years now and digging it out to try tackling a blues course, which I hope will help me with it on uke too, was what got me hungry for the full size sound, though the Papoose is also just brilliant. I never worry too much about a purchase as with my ukes, I figure this guitar will hold it's resale fairly well and I am downsizing ukes now.

This one came off eBay as manufacturer refurb but it is spotlessly new. So I assume it is post Fender old stock, so circa 2005. It's solid hog and a cedar top, radiused rosewood fretboard, faceplate and bridge, compensated saddle, the bolt on neck is slim and fast, and the body has open bracing for a lovely responsiveness. The whole guitar vibrates, the sustain goes on and on, intonation is spot on, action is perfect. AND it's my first cutaway which I love and has 22 frets, 15 to the body. It's a little jumbo style and is really comfortable considering I favor tenor ukulele! I am truly smitten! I don't know if pics are working yet but here is a link to the auction. I went with this instead of a spruce topped little jumbo because I adore cedar tops and loved the sound I was hearing on YT here and here. I love spruce too, but maybe one of those will come along later. This guitar is so user friendly that I am hoping my partner might try guitar again. He's saying keyboards but I think this may inspire him.

Does anyone else have a Tacoma? I lurked in the Tacoma Guitar Forum for awhile when I got the Papoose but it was not super active. I am hoping between UU+ practice and some Blues guitar practice I may actually get some minor competence going. I know I will continue to have fun!

PS: Here's a Papoose video.

Last edited:
Looks pretty sweet. HNGD!

That's a sweet looking guitar mate. Hope you enjoy it. Not enough 6 string love on here (although, that's not surprising on a ukulele forum, and perfectly understandable).

I wonder how many other UU members are like me, and consider themselves "a guitarist, who owns and loves ukuleles".

I think I'm a previously frustrated guitar lover who currently adores ukuleles, but I would say ukes gave me the confidence to try guitars again. There's nothing like the sound of a steel string guitar! I just bought another one 30 minutes ago, a Tacoma PM-20. They are hard to find and I have been looking for a parlor size for years now. Love dem ukes though!

Last edited:
I think I'm a previously frustrated guitar lover who currently adores ukuleles, but I would say ukes gave me the confidence to try guitars again.

Sounds like me mate. I hadn't touched any of my guitars for nearly 10 years until I started playing uke. As you said, the uke gave me the confidence to pick up my guitars again.

You asked if anyone else has a Tacoma. I've seen them mentioned in other threads and articles so I just thought I would chime in. I have two of them. A PM-20 and I believe a DM-6. Not sure about the last one. It's a dreadnaught. They are beautiful guitars with a great sound and it's too bad they are out of business.

Cool! The PM-20 is a honey! So far for guitars mine is the "one" I have been looking for. The Chief knocks my socks off too but the slightly smaller body of the parlor suits me well, and with that really deep body there is no lack of volume or bass.

Update: Just got an older c. 2002 Larrivee P-01 spruce over mahogany, plane Jane 24" scale parlor, about 1-1.5 inches smaller all around than the Tacoma PM-20. Love the snot out of it! The smaller box, even though pretty deep, makes for a bluesier sound. It is as wonderfully playable as the Tacomas, just super well made and intonated, great attention to detail, super setup. What a honey. Came pre-dinged but great price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom