Season 132 - 21st Century Music

Sneaking one more in. I picked up a new Baritone on Friday super cheap (ended up $49.95 because it was marked as a second for two of the tuner knobs were all scratched). This is my first video with it. Still hard to look at a D chord and play a G or a G chord and play a C. There's still some buzzing going on till I get used to the extra spacing.

I just discovered the Avett Brothers myself this week. Where have I been? AMAZING stuff there. Great job.

You and I

You and I by Ingrid Michaelson, 2008.

Performed out on the Morristown Green by the Morristown Uke Jam.

Most of us had just attended Uke New Jersey Too!, put on by the Folk Project, so we were all in a VERY good mood.

LOL I loaded this up last night then went to read while it loaded and completely forgot to post. So here it is anyway.

Not following the rules but since the season is over I thought you might enjoy this vid I made a while back. Parody of Ingrid's "You and I" called "Boo and I".

I might have said it before, but I'll say it again. Wow. One hundred sixteen songs on the playlist. (If I missed your entry, please private message me.) That shows me that, as a group, we Seasonistas are pretty dialed in to the current music scene. Congratulations, Seasonistas, y'all are hip.

Here are some more comments. I'll be out of town for a couple days, then back to commenting (and judging) when I return. Should be more comments by Friday at the latest. Have a blast over at myrnaukelele's sweet Season.

~dave~~wave~ "That Gum You Like Is Back In Style" (Camper Van Beethoven)
Is that a million bugs playing percussion? Nice. Great mellow version of this wistful tune. Gracias.

Markwo "Crooked Teeth" (Death Cab for Cutie)
Cool varying rhythmic approach to this one. Plucked chords sound especially cool.

BigDaddyUker "Wiggle" (Jason Derulo)
Great selection in the pround tradition of "Baby Got Back", "Thong Song", and great booty hits to come. Great whistling/percussion breaks. Funky. Muchas gracias.

ukuleledaveey "Valerie" (The Zutons)
Terrific choice. Way to sing those funky horn parts. Great breakdown. Cool version. Muchas gracias.

Srax "Rehab" (Amy Winehouse)
Groovy uke playing? Fun singing? I say yes, yes, yes. Cool and fun. Gracias.

MikeOnTheUke "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" (Less Than Jake)
You've got some groovy Jawaiian stumming going here. Fun one.

RAB11 "The Suburbs" (Arcade Fire)
Uke sounds great on this recording. Sweet, heartfelt performance here. Gracias.

ohmless "Too Drunk to Pluck" (birds eye view of my ukelele)
Excellent choice---modern ukulele punk rules. Great beer-fueled strumming here. Awesome.

ukuleledaddy "The Girl" (City and Colour)
That beach strumming's just what we need for summer jams. Sweet song. Lovely playing. Gracias.

Harry122 "Everybody" (Ingrid Michaelson)
Sweet song choice. Fun "Oh oh oh"s here. Nice one.

ddanner "Stubborn Love" (The Lumineers)
Cool dynamic playing and singing here. Your approach to the rhythm of this one works well.

FiL "One Guitar" (Willie Nile)
Killer rock strumming on the eight-string. Jangly and fun.

lelouden "Count On Me" (Bruno Mars)
As a mathematician, I like counting. And as a ukulele enthusiast, I like gentle picking and great singing. Nice one. Gracias.

greenie44 "Spirit on the Water (Bob Dylan)
Way to deliver Dylan's lovely melody here. And your uke accompaniment is just right---sweet and simple. Fun. Gracias.

decaturcomp "Traveling Alone" (Jason Isbell)
Mellow, heartfelt take here. Sounds great. Muchas gracias.

This one is for you Wendy and because of Lynda who did such an awesome job on that Lady Gaga song!

Mina, that was great! Thanks for bringing "Born This Way". That really is a terrific song. Love "I don't know what she says here..."

Thanks to Lynda too for kicking off the Gaga.

Mina, so happy to have you back with us. Fun singing with you at UkeFest NJ. Hope to see you in person again soon!

Didn't find as much time today as I'd hoped to enjoy your great performances. You'll know the Season is nearly judged once I've commented on all the entries.

Here are a few more comments. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters "Almost Like the Blues (Leonard Cohen)
Sounds okay, self. Keep practicing.

UkeyDave "We Are Young" (Fun)
I'm a sucker for any song that's perfect for a high school graduation, and this is a great one. Love your uke playing here---mellow picking and strumming are perfect. Great singing as well, gives the song some bittersweetness that many of those high school students might miss, but that us grown-ups understand (maybe too) well.

pabrizzer "Almost Like the Blues (Leonard Cohen)
Wow. Great version, 'brizz. Uke and bass work great---groovy tempo and dynamics. Great, snearing take on the lyric as well. Muchas gracias.

mythinformed "Chasing Cars" (Snow Patrol)
Love that minimal uke picking under the verses. Nice contrast to the more uke-rockin' choruses. Cool.

cua94 "Mama's Broken Heart" (Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally, and Kacey Musgraves)
Ah, always room for another rockin' break-up song, too. Fun, sassy performance. Your sparse uke-playng during the verses works well.

redpaul1 "Newport" (Ymerodraeth State of Mind)
Welsh hip hop? Welsh hip hop! Amazing choice---love it. Great flow here, and your hip-hop-backing-vox style is a blast. Muchas gracias.

strumsilly "Wonderwall" (Oasis)
That 90s classic sure doesn't qualify as a 21st-century song, but it sure sounds great on that baritone uke. Groovy strumming to back up a solid vocal version. Gracias.

wee_ginga_yin "Game Called Life" (Leftover Cuties)
Wow. Great uke playing here--lightning-quick, but still steady, dynamic and mellow---love it. Way to re-imagine this one.

My time's been slipping away from me as the fall academic quarter gets closer and closer (and judging this Season takes twice as long as usual, since I like to check out each original song along with each entry.)

Just a few comments today, but I'll be sure to make time for more each day going forward. Thanks again for all the great entries, and for your continuing patience. Viva las Seasonistas.

TheUkeBloke "Postcards" (James Blunt)
Great to hear y'all sing this one together. So fun. So sweet. Muchas gracias.

Markwo "The Ocean" (The Bravery)
Cool way to play that quick waltz on the uke. Cool song choice, too. Nice.

ohmless "Longing to Belong" (Eddie Vedder)
Perfect song choice for this Season---a modern ukulele classic. Your uke playing is super cool here. Both the strumming approaches you use work great. Gracias.

Concertina "Wrecking Ball" (Mylie Cyrus)
Your mellow version of this international super-hit works great, and you certainly haven't wrecked your ukulele with this one. Muchas gracias.

Mentally exhausted after work early this week, and I didn't want to do any judging in a tired (maybe even grouchy) state. Today I was able to enjoy a few of your amazing videos with my tea. More comments to come as soon as possible, and winners will be announced once I've commented on everyone's work. Thanks for your continuing patience, Seasonsistas.

uke4ia "Solitude Is Bliss" (Tame Impala)
Way to phase out your uke to echo the original's psych vibe. Stripped down like this, this one's got a little Donovan vibe. Groovy.

lelouden "Leave the Light On" (Priscilla Ahn)
Lovely song choice. Great, mellow version. Terrific singing. Gracias.

sam-wo "We're Going To Be Friends" (White Stripes)
This sweet song works even better with the muppets along for the ride. Great job, guys. Gracias.

decaturcomp "Fiddler Jones" (Darrell Scott)
Dreamy uke playing here. Heartfelt singing, too. Muchas gracias.

ddanner "Thunder on the Mountain" (Bob Dylan)
Your uke playing here has just the right amount of swing to keep this one chugging along. Nice to get some modern social commentary this week as well. Gracias.

pabrizzer "I Don't Wanna Give In" (Matt Andersen)
Perfect follow-up to ddanner's Dylan tune. You didn't plan that did you? Groovy blues here. Gracias.

Tootler "I"ve Been Sent to War" (Geoff Walker)
Great, thoughtful lyrics, Geoff---sad that this story is as current in the 21st century as ever before. Sad, sweet harmonica solo works well. Muchas gracias.

LBColosimo "Stars" (Sophie Madeleine)
Great choice---love the 21st-century ukulele music. Terrific vocal performance here, and solid uke playing as well. Lovely. Gracias.

UkeCan1 "Call Me Friday Maybe, Baby" (mash-up)
I think the mash-up is 21st-century update of the medley. And I think this mash-up rocks. Muchas gracias.

mikef "TC & Honeybear" (John Grant)
Excellent uke playing and singing here. Cool changes in dynamics and mood as well. Muchas gracias.

mikef "Where Dreams Go To Die" (John Grant)
Another gerat one, gracias. I wasn't familiar with Grant's work, thanks for a terrific introduction.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters;1576561[B said:
mikef "Where Dreams Go To Die" (John Grant)[/B]
Another gerat one, gracias. I wasn't familiar with Grant's work, thanks for a terrific introduction.
You should check out Grant's song "Gmf". But not when there's kids within earshot.

I'm starting to vanish under a tidal wave of syllabi, lesson plans, inservice and chores, but I'll get back to judging this Season as soon as possible. Thanks for you continuing (at least for another week or so) patience, 132nd Season rockers.

Bummer update. I've been crushed by work. I had to stay up past bedtime tonight to participate in Season 135. Your awesome work hasn't been forgotten or take for granted. I'll get back to commenting/judging as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks again for being great ukulele heroes, y'all.

Another reminder that I haven't forgotten y'all. I used up all my leisure time this weekend (the whole half hour) getting a video together for Linda's 50s Season. As soon as I'm not completely crushed by the boulder that is work, I'll crawl out from under that rock to the land of 21st century uke jams, the place I long to be.

Thanks again for patience and understanding. Have fun in the 137th.

Top Bottom