Season 132 - 21st Century Music

Fun fact: I dated his sister Courtney in the 90's when he played with a band called Whiskeytown. I was stationed in Jacksonville, NC, where he's from. They had a song on the Hope Floats soundtrack at the time. '98 I believe. I had to sit through that movie so many times with her to see if we could hear the song. Never did. On the soundtrack, sure. But not in the movie.

No way! Lucky dog. I've been a fan of Ryan Adams since his Whiskeytown days. I've got a bunch of bootleg concerts of his and have seen him live a couple times. I love how he just babbles on sometimes about whatever's on his mind. Cracks me up.

That Gum You Like Is Back In Style Again

Fantastic theme this week.
Thanks, Ralf, for another reminder of what an ancient, petrified old fossil I am.

Excuse me a second...

Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!

...Sorry, where was I?

Our uke band played a pair of events over the weekend.
As we put together a list, we had no song newer than the 70s. :eek:
We added one from the 80s, then Iz's version of SOTR from the 90s.

From this century, Sue found one that she learned and taught us, we hope to get a video made before the week is out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from 2004, by a band that started in the 80s, Camper Van Beethoven.

Here is another great song by Death Cab For Cutie. This is from the album 'Plans' which was an amazing album. I would listen to it from beginning to end in that old school way without skipping tracks. Definitely one of my favorite albums. Ben Gibbard has a very high voice and this is outta my range, but I love the song, so I did it anyway! My version is a bit different, but this is the way I've always played it.

Last edited:
SOTU 132 - Wiggle, Jason Derulo

I can't even tell you how I ended up with this song but its definitely 21st Century...it was released in June 2014. I wanted to pick something that I would not generally listen to and this is definitely it. I think Ralf's rendition of Sexy and I Know It pushed me here. I did take out Snoops part in the middle of the song to keep is close to G-rated!.

Howdy Gang and wow what a challenge and realization im old :( and outta touch, i always had my finer on the pulse of music, but since taking up the uke i have looked back at all the great music from the past and thus it is what i enjoy more now a days except for a few fave bands. Anyway thanks so much for hosting Ralf, greatly appreciated as ever as it is always to each host.
And a massive thanks for all the help from the posse on the facebook page i dedicate my song to you all.
This is a 21st century song by a 21st century group and then covered by another 21st century artist and it is her version that many people know and sometimes don't realise she covered the song and it is not one of her own.
So ladies and gentlefolk i present a song by The Zutons and covered by Amy Winehouse and now with a sprionkle of daveey on top.

This is my entry. I Know that I'm not very original but I think Amy Winehouse is one of the best voices of this century, and this song one of greatest.

A hug.

Sara

Last edited:
Well, I guess i took this chance to do a song from my favorite genre. Ska. X3

Well, more like... ska/punk, but still, it had to be done. XP This is "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" by Less Than Jake, and was released in 2003.

I think every decade has its disillusioned youth songs, and songs about being so "messed-up" in your own view of yourself. I've always felt they do a good job of showing the demographic that listens to them that they aren't alone in feeling that way, and showing that there are others they can commiserate with. On that note, this is one of my favorites.

Here's another quick one, once it processes. From the best album of the last ten years.

like most lasting music, it gets adapted to a new generation while still borrowing form the past. The original traditional tune can't be named here but this version is named "Too Drunk to Pluck" and written by our own BEV! This is half of a tribute to BEV for the encouragement she has given me and also for the inspiring vids she puts up! Please pardon the poor improvisation at the end. Was just me messing around with the uke while drunk!

Last week of summer vacation and it's been crazy busy. Trying to go thru the last of the summer bucket list. At Cannon Beach with the kids today. I took a short break from building sand castles and jumping waves to do a quick one take of this song my oldest daughter really like, and so do I. This is The Girl by City And Colour. I forgot to mention in the vid but it's for 132. Nice theme Ralf!

Here's a very cute song written and performed by Ingrid Michaelson in 2009. She had her first hit in 2008 with "Be OK," and continues to write and perform amazing songs. Hope you like it.

Everybody

SOTU 132 - 21st Century Music - The Lumineers' "Stubborn Love"

The Lumineers won the Grammy for Best New Artist in 2013 with their self-titled debut album. They describe the elements of their music as simplistic in style and claim that they are not "reinventing the wheel." Nevertheless, IMO, this Folk-Rock group brought out something new in this 21st century both in sound and style. "Ho-hey" is probably their best known hit, and although I really like that tune, I gave their "Stubborn Love" my best effort, and "kept my head up." Hope you enjoy it.

Willie Nile's "One Guitar"

I love this Willie Nile song, "One Guitar", but is didn't seem appropriate for a ukulele forum, so I've renamed it "One Ukulele".

It's a singalong.

And a playalong. Most of the song is just G and C, with a very short D before the choruses.

Playing with your uke out of tune is not required. :) (I really should have retuned between takes!)

- FiL

Last edited:
Don't know what to say. I did this about a million times and it just didn't feel right in the Bruno Mars style so I just finally did my own thing:)

I admit I don't know that many musicians who first arrived in the 21st century, but many of my favorites continued to make great music in this century. I had wanted to learn this song since I first started playing ukulele, and the season moved me to it. I cut out a couple of verses in the service of brevity, but it's still a wonderful tune by Mr. Bob Dylan from his Modern Times album.

The great Leonard Cohen will release his new album, Popular Problems, on September 23rd. That's two days after his eightieth birthday. What an amazing role model for everyone that hopes to stay creative throughout life. Earlier today, he released "Almost Like the Blues" on youtube, and I had to record a version while it's still hot off the server.

Recording this one used up my Seasons time for tonight. Season 132's been more fun than I thought possible, and we're only on Wednesday. Keep the 21st-century awesomeness coming, y'all. Updated playlist and comments tomorrow. <3

Last edited:
Entry No.2. The original has had 265 yes frickin 265 MILLION hits so I suppose I better post a link here for it as I'm sure it could do with a few more as a booster.
So move along, nothing here worth seeing:)

Top Bottom