Season 132 - 21st Century Music

I've been living in a cave, under a rock, since the Grunge Era. I've got to come out into the sunlight and find some songs.

View attachment 70231

UHG!

Ditto that one Rex. Lol
I'm a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to music but after checking out the current UK Top 40 for the first time since 1986 I've been pleasantly surprised and indeed some of these yoof of today really can sing and play a toon !! Lol

Some fantastic acoustic stuff (which is my passion) is around ........OMG the Perry Como records are definately being put away for this season .........I feel a revelation of trendiness coming on ..........wheres my toupee, I'm going out clubbing tonite wiv me mates!! Lol

Aside from some great acts that have come out since 2000 (Ryan Adams, The Black Keys, Amos Lee, Avett Brothers, David Gray, Glen Hansard, Josh Ritter, John Mayer.... to name a few), there has been a lot of older bands and artists that have released some excellent music (Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, Neil Young, Robert Plant, U2, America, AC/DC, Levon Helm, Johnny Cash.... to name a few). I'm not super up on new music these days but those are all worth checking out, in my opinion. Have fun!

Thankfully I had some practice with playing REM's Stand chorus the other week to prepare me for such fast chord changes. This take is one I found passable, despite clearly still needing lots of work. I just didn't see anything improving this besides time and I wanted to get started this week since there are other songs I want to try to get done. I blame the bad take(actually the best of several haha) on the bad formatting of the songsheet. I should have enlarged the type and made it bold print.

This song was quite memorable to me as it came out the year I graduated medical school, 2003. I regretfully never got to see them play live. So without further ado, the best twenty first century musical act(they were just mostly ahead of their time.)

Aside from some great acts that have come out since 2000 (Ryan Adams, The Black Keys, Amos Lee, Avett Brothers, David Gray, Glen Hansard, Josh Ritter, John Mayer.... to name a few), there has been a lot of older bands and artists that have released some excellent music (Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, Neil Young, Robert Plant, U2, America, AC/DC, Levon Helm, Johnny Cash.... to name a few). I'm not super up on new music these days but those are all worth checking out, in my opinion. Have fun!
You read my mind with Amos Lee there Sean. lol

Okay, busy, busy, busy here. An early entry from me. Sometimes I think the same thing that there aren't any good songs coming out these days but a look through my ipod proves otherwise. I had such a great time last night and stayed up pretty late. Got to hear some of my originals backed up with a Ubass. It was awesome!

Now to a song for this week. Here is the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvE5j9LwS4

Here's mine. Of course everyone likes different kinds of music, even at different times in their lives. Right now I'm loving this girls music. Rosie Thomas. Here is her song "You & Me".

Now to go catch up with the other songs :)

I've been living in a cave, under a rock, since the Grunge Era. I've got to come out into the sunlight and find some songs.

View attachment 70231

UHG!
Has that been you I've been sitting next to?

I was just thinking the other day that I never listen to the radio anymore. UU is my radio and all the music I listen to anymore. I really need to broaden my horizon!

Last edited:
Has that been you I've been sitting next to?

I was just thinking the other day that I never listen to the radio anymore. UU is my radio and all the music I listen to anymore. I really need to broaden my horizon!

Or widen your bandwidth.......

I tried to learn this one for PeeWee's last week, but it fit here and I reckon I have figured out the timing at least to pass my lax standards.
I slowed it down and made it sadder for those of you who are not into suspense.
Johnny Appleseed- Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. 2001
Thanks Ralf for the chance to play it.

Phew, I didn't think I'd make it this week! Here's another hushed late night recording. "In California," written by Lisa Marr and released in 2000. Then covered by Neko Case in 2001, which is the version I know. Neko is one of my favorite singers of all time, wish I could have done this one justice!

I am not into 21st century music at all.... shame on me..... so here is my challenge to find some that I like and do a vid... I'm on to it! I WILL be back with something....... :)

Ralf's Week! :D

I wont do my usual ramble here either, but there'll be quite a story over in this thread for those interested. For those that it's tl;wr - I've had two weeks off (Sorry I missed your week Ry, and I'd have had something for reggae week too! Dang) I'm now engaged (Gulp!) and I've got my first planned performance next weekend, with a setlist of songs that for the most part I don't know :) BRILL STUFF. Fuller explanation over hereee

But for Ralf, Jessica his wife, and for my beautiful bride to be Jessica.
(Maybe I should've said "For Jessica" at the start, might've earned some biased points from your Jess!)

This is Coldplay's Yellow recorded near the start of the 21st Century.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Chris and Jessica! That's the second engagement I've heard about in about 12 hours. Chris wins the Season.

Top Bottom