Pick ups in sopranos

trevorg888

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on having a pick up in a soprano uke. A friend of mine is thinking of buying a martin sop with factory installed pick up and he asked me what i thought.

My answer was as long as it doesnt interfere with the natural acoustic sound then i dont see a problem. I think the traditional people on here may not want to hear that. But pickups are really handy to have if you are playing festivals etc soundies find it easier to just plug you in
Anyway thought i would see what everyone else thought

Last edited:
As with many things about ukes, whatever floats yer boat. Many sellers don't intall them in sopranos because it's too cramped. I say if you can get one in, go for it. Ovation doesn't seem to have problems installing them in their sopranos. I certainly covet a soprano with a pickup just for the amplified soprano sound. Can always use a mic too.

Last edited:
I prefer passive pickups in my soprano 'ukulele. An active D.I. box like an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI or Behringer ADI21 is needed to match the impedance and signal level to the amplifier or PA for a natural sound. Ric

An active pickup is great. I would think about it for a soprano, though. I would want a pickup that takes as little space as possible. Everything an active does can be accomplished with other exterior equipment, can't it?

My amps don't have a built in pre-amp/eq, so I have been trying to decide on an external one. Baggs Parametric seems to be favorite, but I may just go with the less expensive Behringer. I like to set the amp on flat, dial in the uke with the eq, then use amp controls after that. Works great for me.

Top Bottom