How's intonation on your Mainland uke?

Ukedani

Reaction score
I have been longing for a Mainland red cedar uke for a few years. I am wondering how is the intonation on these babies? Any issues? Reason I ask is that most all wood or lam/wood ukes I have bought have had serious intonation issues and have had to go back. This has been the case even with very good sellers who spend the time to do proper set up. As a result, I have decided to stick with Magic Fluke ukes, as the intonation is very consistent. But I still hanker for that Mainland...

On my Mainland, it's spot on up to the 9th fret, then it gets a bit flat. Probably just need to sand the saddle down a tad, but isn't bad enough for me to actually do it....

My Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor is perfect all the way up. Was perfect the day I got it and it has stayed perfect. As a comparison, my Kala spalted maple laminate was set up like crap and has always had intonation problems. I was going to get the action lowered a little to try and improve. But once I got the Mainland, all was well.

The Mainland should be great!

My Mainland is spot-on. It surprises me that anyone would have intonation problems with a Mainland, since Mainland is one of the few manufacturers—or for that matter, retailers—in the economy-to-mid range that carefully sets up each uke before shipping. Have no worries.

oldcookie, it might just be your strings, either old or a bum set (it does happen). I thought one of my ukes had flat intonation on one string, but my tech recommended first changing the string before he tried to "fix" it, and he turned out to be right: it was the (factory-fresh Aquila) string. When I got my Mainland (used), it was a little out of true on one string, but it was four years old, little played and probably still had the original strings on. Replacing the strings fixed the intonation.

The problem has been there through couple different sets of strings. It's not major though. Also, the uke was made in 2009, I bought it used, and I am in Canada where the winter is cold and dry. So it possible that the wood have moved a bit. I should also mention that the problem is the same on all strings, so I know it can be easily fixed, if ever decide to fix it. :)

Top Bottom