Online buying anxiety

PTOEguy

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Koaloha Concert Opio, and I'm having some anxiety over whether I can really know what I'm getting if I don't play it first. I've researched it exhaustively, plan on buying from a reputable retailer (HMS), and I'm just scared that for whatever reason that it won't be what I was looking for. Does anyone have any advice for pre-purchase jitters?

My jitters are at least partly based on my most expensive uke purchase to date - a Pono MT that I've had a very mixed reaction to (some days I like it a lot, other days, not so much).

I think the Koaloha is better suited to my type of playing, but I've never played one. I can't decide if its worth $400 to find out.

Unfortunately, for something like an Opio, which has very few dealers right now, ordering from afar may be your only option. The good news is the HMS is amongst the best in the business, and you can be assured of getting a quality instrument that is set up properly. Nobody can guarantee that it will be the right uke for you, so you have to take that leap of faith; otherwise, you'll need to resign yourself to only selecting ukes which are available near you (or travel to buy ukes!). The good news is that you can mitigate the risk; HMS will gladly accept your return if you follow their return policy. That probably means you get stuck paying for shipping, but it's better than being stuck with an instrument you just plain don't like.

Well, it's always a bit of a gamble buying site unseen, but Ive bought all my ukes that way. Your selection and vendor have great reputations so I don't see how you can go too far wrong. You can be fairly confident the uke will be as advertised. So the only risk is whether it suits you. It may not, be if so, it won't cost you $400 to find out as there should be others willing to take it off your hands for not too much less than that.

If you're going to buy from HMS think of calling them rather than making an internet purchase. They can talk you through the process and your fears. I have the KoAlana, the precursor uke to the KoAloha Opio. It really is a good sounding uke. I can't think of any reason the Opio should be any less. Those KoAlanas had a humidity problem but mine wasn't affected. Andrew and the crew at HMS wouldn't have the reputation they do if they didn't take good care of their customers.

I had been playing for about 5 months when I bought my KoAlana. I had 2 cheap ukes that were really frustrating. I was nervous about the purchase. There was a long line at setup so it didn't ship for over a week. Yeah. I got nervous. But it was love at first strum.

Go for it.

I have to wonder what strings you have on that Pono MT. I think they are more "string sensitive" than some. Are you sure you want more mahogany? That Opio gets pretty good reviews, and it sounds great on the demo, but I'm wondering if maybe you should save up and just get the KoAloha concert?
Owning one of the "tone monsters" would be awesome. Many of us have bought ukes that were somehow less than we had hoped. Good luck in your decision.

I have to wonder what strings you have on that Pono MT. I think they are more "string sensitive" than some. Are you sure you want more mahogany? That Opio gets pretty good reviews, and it sounds great on the demo, but I'm wondering if maybe you should save up and just get the KoAloha concert?
Owning one of the "tone monsters" would be awesome. Many of us have bought ukes that were somehow less than we had hoped. Good luck in your decision.

String sensitive - definitely. I learned a lot from my Pono just trying to get the right strings on it. I like the sound and feel of lower tension and the Pono isn't happy without something high tension.

Regarding the KoAloha concert - I'm hoping the Opio will give me some exposure to the KoAloha sound with less financial outlay - plus, I want a uke that I could afford to replace should something bad happen to it.

Regarding the KoAloha concert - I'm hoping the Opio will give me some exposure to the KoAloha sound with less financial outlay - plus, I want a uke that I could afford to replace should something bad happen to it.
I don't understand the anxiety then. From what I've read, the Opio does that. If you can afford to replace it, then you can afford it to start with, so quit hemming and hawing and just order the durn thing. :D :cheers:

I've bought a couple of Koaloha concerts , used, for less than $400. they were not perfect, and I had to repair one, but the imperfections did not effect their wonderful tone. IN my poinion, they are one of the best sounding concerts out there, and I've had some nice ones , Martin and Kiwaya. and , wonderful clarity when played softly, and louder then many tenors when played aggressively. I'm sure the opios are nice too, but having never seen or played one, I'm just guessing. You might also contact Koaloha directly to see if they have any seconds.

Top Bottom