Godin's La Patrie "Presentation" Classical Guitar

l3uffer

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to write a bit about my recent experience with La Patrie...

So I'm studying classical guitar at my college, and I decided to buy a new guitar (an upgrade from the $100 Sunlite I first got) for guitar jury and for my upcoming study abroad trip to Germany (this was in April). I settled on the La Patrie Presentation model because it seemed to sound the best to me compared to a few models: a Cordoba Jet (nylon-hybrid), one of Kenny Hill's New World guitars, Rodriguez guitars (I think they're based in SoCal as well, but made in Spain?), and a few others around the $500-$800 price point. Anyways, jury went well and I was getting more and more happier with my guitar.

Fast forward a few months. One day, I'm playing my guitar, and I hear this buzzing coming from random notes. 6th string open, 3rd string open, 2nd string open, and it was just buzzing all over the place. I take it to the shop I bought it from (Fret House in Covina, CA), and their first thought is that the string ends were too long and vibrating along the top. Cut them down, and it seems the problem went away. Well, it turns out that the buzzing just came and went for some reason, and it was back soon enough. I took it to them a second time, and they took a really good look at it - checked for loose braces, frets, etc. A few hypotheses came up: loose truss rod, loose brace, something small lodged in the body of the guitar. We tried everything, including changing strings to D'Addarios, but nothing was making sense. At the end, Tom (the owner) said that the guitar is probably too resonant, and that creates overtones that mess with the sound. Also, ironically, we were able to find the frequency the guitar kept really buzzing at, which was a B (sounded like a bee haha).

Anyways, Tom tried to add weight to the headstock to see if that would stop the guitar from creating that buzz, but nothing worked. Today, we decided to replace it with another model and send the buzzing one back to Godin. I'm a little sad because I was just getting to really play that guitar and hear what it could do, and now this happened hahah

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Anyone have a situation like this before?

(On another note, the TRIC case Godin offers with their guitars are nice.. so cool as an alternative to hardcases and gigbags.. like a middle ground or something)

Oh, btw, this is my first post in the guitar forum. WHOOO! xD

Last edited:
Im a big fan of godin ( id take my seagull entourage cw with a pickup over any other in the relative price range) and have really thought about purchasing a classical from one of their many different offshoots. Curious to see how they handle customer service! Good luck!

My kala sometimes will buzz if I tune it a certain way and its the tuners but I know how to make it stop. Its totally random and my shop had not seen one do that before. It was very hard to identify and it came and went. I felt better once I found it because I could stop it by turning the tuner back and forth a few times :D

Top Bottom