::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a gathering last Sunday, and noticed something a little odd. The host is Chinese, and was very gracious and welcoming. Everyone there spoke English, and yet the host at one point spoke to her adult daughter in Chinese, in front of all the other people.

I couldn't help but feel that her motive was to keep from being understood by everyone else, and that perhaps she was talking about one or more of us to her daughter. Why else would she have switched languages?

She seems to be a lovely lady, and it struck me a little strange. How do you feel about bilingual people using another language in front of people who don't understand it?

I was in the break room at work last week fixing coffee and oatmeal. There were a couple of men from India there (I would guess my building is about 75% Indian - lots of tech contractors from India work with us). I was enjoying the sound of their conversation - whichever language they were speaking just had that beautiful, musical quality to it. As I stood there working on the coffee I started realizing that about every 4th phrase or so would be in English - and it was flowing back and forth between the languages without stop or pause or anything. It was amazing. I don't think my mind could process the transitions between languages so effortlessly. I was in awe of them.

I grew up amongst only white people, WASPs, mostly. There was a large Italian contingent, but we seldom heard their native language. There were black folks living in the city proper, but we seldom went there. Ours was a very homogenous suburban community....

My neighborhood was pretty much all white, too. I realize now how much I missed out on.

Diversity definitely scares a lot of people of the dominant culture/race/gender/etc. I love it. Emma and Annie's school is incredibly diverse - White, Black, Latino, Middle Eastern - I don't know that there's a single ethnic group that has a clear majority. I was talking to Emma on Sunday and telling her how much happier I am with this school that I was with the one in our old neighborhood, which is mostly upper middle class and lily White. A person is much more complete when they have the richness of a multitude of ethnic backgrounds to experience as they grow up.

James has been going to a friends house quite a bit and I always send him with something like cookies, or popsicles some fruit. It's a Japanese custom called omiyage, it's basically impolite to show up empty handed to a house you're visiting. On his second visit the mom gave James what he called a questioning funny look. The next time he went I sent him with some Japanese arare (rice crackers) and a note explaining the custom. She was thrilled to know about omiyage and when I picked him up we spoke for about an hour about culture and customs etc. It was really cool. This family moved here from Israel about a year ago.

I was in the break room at work last week fixing coffee and oatmeal. There were a couple of men from India there (I would guess my building is about 75% Indian - lots of tech contractors from India work with us). I was enjoying the sound of their conversation - whichever language they were speaking just had that beautiful, musical quality to it. As I stood there working on the coffee I started realizing that about every 4th phrase or so would be in English - and it was flowing back and forth between the languages without stop or pause or anything. It was amazing. I don't think my mind could process the transitions between languages so effortlessly. I was in awe of them.

Spanglish here. It is beautiful.

I grew up like Damon in lily white Orange County. I hated that part of my community. The only saving thing was the hispanics. Back then mostly Mexicans, now more central and South Americans. And then when the Vietnam war ended we had a flood of Vietnamese and other southeast Asian people. I like it better now.

James has been going to a friends house quite a bit and I always send him with something like cookies, or popsicles some fruit. It's a Japanese custom called omiyage, it's basically impolite to show up empty handed to a house you're visiting. On his second visit the mom gave James what he called a questioning funny look. The next time he went I sent him with some Japanese arare (rice crackers) and a note explaining the custom. She was thrilled to know about omiyage and when I picked him up we spoke for about an hour about culture and customs etc. It was really cool. This family moved here from Israel about a year ago.

That's an awesome thing to share with them...and us.

No posts since class started?

Guess I'll go back to working.

I've been outside, working on Elaine's garage project. It's 90-some-odd degrees out there! I had to make a run to Home Depot, so I stopped at Wendy's for a salad and a BIG drink....

I have to fly to New Mexico tomorrow for a CTE teacher conference.

Not feeling it and don't want to go.

Oh, CTE is Career Technical Education. It's for my culinary classes.

These are usually lame for me because they have workshops like "how to keep a grade book" or "classroom management basics." Most CTE teachers come from industry and get a supplemental credential in their area of expertise. I'm already a credentialed classroom teacher so many of these classes are redundant for me but my district CTE director wanted me to go and then present to the other CTE teachers in the district. I've already turned her down for a CTE district leadership position because it would take me out of the classroom. If I wanted admin work I would have stayed at Cisco and made much more money.

I belong with the kids so they can drive me nuts and I can complain :)

You know, I can't find one vet I know who thinks the NFL protest is demeaning to the flag, anthem or military.

You know, I can't find one vet I know who thinks the NFL protest is demeaning to the flag, anthem or military.

I know one. A friend from my old church. She is a vet and her son just joined the Army. She posted on FB that this was an attack on the military. I responded that I expected her son to be a bastion against that kind of thinking - that forced patriotism isn't patriotism at all.

Gary, I'm a vet, and I'll throw my two cents in. I fully support any American's right to protest peacefully, whether I agree with their position, or not. I stood ready to fight, and perhaps die, to defend that right.

I also feel the NFL protests fall into the category of there being a time and a place for everything. NFL football games seem not to be the right time or place, to me. Why can't these players stage their protests on their own time? The media would still show up to hear what they want to say.

And, maybe it's just me, but it seems a little ironic for men who get paid millions of dollars to play a game to use that game complain about racial inequality. Discrimination against their race and ethnicity didn't keep them from a level of success that most Americans will never achieve.

Yes, I feel it's disrespectful of the anthem. BUT, it is certainly their right to do so....

Gary, I'm a vet, and I'll throw my two cents in. I fully support any American's right to protest peacefully, whether I agree with their position, or not. I stood ready to fight, and perhaps die, to defend that right.

I also feel the NFL protests fall into the category of there being a time and a place for everything. NFL football games seem not to be the right time or place, to me. Why can't these players stage their protests on their own time? The media would still show up to hear what they want to say.

And, maybe it's just me, but it seems a little ironic for men who get paid millions of dollars to play a game to use that game complain about racial inequality. Discrimination against their race and ethnicity didn't keep them from a level of success that most Americans will never achieve.

Yes, I feel it's disrespectful of the anthem. BUT, it is certainly their right to do so....

I found two among my high school friends. One said something similar to what you just wrote and the other is kind of a mouth breather, trump supporter can't think for himself kind of guy.

Until the last few days I thought Ali protested to avoid the draft and John Carlos and Tommie Smith were just militant and defiant.

I really am starting to get a better understanding of the larger problem that I didn't understand before. At least I think I am.

I'm not sure if the anthem is the most appropriate time to protest but it is peaceful and it is a huge stage to get your message out, if the media doesn't cloud your message with rhetoric to distract from the main issues.

It's a huge issue that many people don't want to acknowledge or admit.

The National Anthem has only been sung at sporting events since WW II. We managed to have football, baseball, basketball, &c. without it. We still have symphony concerts absent the National Anthem. So there's that.

I've been seeing on Facebook that Francis Scott Key was a slaveholder and rabidly anti-abolitionist. His ideal of "the land of the free and the home of the brave" was a whites only nation.

My Rotary Club sings the National Anthem every week. I've always been a sing-it-like-you-believe-it guy. I think I'm going to have to swallow hard this week. That room is full of active duty and veterans. It's not possible to reason with them all.

The thing about this flag & anthem protest is that it's getting attention. To say that it's not the right way to protest ignores the fact that every previous form of protest has either been repressed or ignored.

Last edited:

Since when did football become sacred?

It's physically abusive entertainment. If we were civilized we wouldn't pay attention.

That said. Go Niners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom