Season 303 - お名前は何ですか?

This is inspired and VERY loosely based on the version Old Crow Medicine Show is doing of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" on their "Blond on Blond at 50" tour. I think they took some of the spirit of Jason and the Scorchers' punked up version. I botched a lot of the changes, but here you go.

We saw Old Crow about a month ago. Man, they killed it.

This is for Renee who did some of my CT and PET scans back when...

Funny story actually. After all my treatments were over I was at my son's basketball game. Small private school. And this lady, Renee, comes walking by me in the bleachers. It was odd to recognizer her because she wasn't in medical scrubs. I asked if she worked where I had gone through treatments and she said yes and smiled real big. She had known the whole time who I was from our kids school but she couldn't say anything because of medical laws. I had been clueless. I go back and play ukulele in the imaging area at the cancer clinic and say hi to Renee often.

This week I have another CT with contrast scan. Every six month now forever I guess. So I'm taking my ukulele in early and playing in the waiting lobby with an IV in my arm until my name is called. They are cool about that. I should play this song for Renee.

Randy mentioning Robinson Crusoe made me think of this Jimmy C Newman novelty song from 1959, which was a top 10 hit. I took the sopranino challenge on this one. The strumming pattern on the intro and between the singing kicked my butt.

I had recorded this one before, almost two years ago(!), for the Ukulele Covers group on Facebook. I was kind of challenged to try it because the vocals are quite difficult. I think my voice is better now, but those high notes are still tricky.

a traditional song that got tin-panned up in 1922
by Jack Frost and Jimmy McHugh.

I've had a hard week and today was another hard day. I'm a little bit upset. Anyway, I thought this song was a good way to express that. Done in one take, so it's not polished. My version was heavily influenced by the Placebo cover.

A little ditty by Richard Thompson, on the dangers of taking your records to a party.

A ditty from one of my favorite songwriters Guy Clark. He mentions his wife Suzanne . . .

For Season 303 of the Ukulele, here's a couple of excerpts from the Who's classic, Tommy. For tenor ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ubass and backing vox.

Top Bottom