::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asparagus is one of the very few vegetables I don't like. Number one on that short list, actually....

I still don't like peas if they're mushy.

I used to like carrots but not so much these days. Really fresh raw carrots that are sweet which is weird because I used to not like raw carrots, but I used to love cooked carrots and I don't care for those at all any more.

I had no idea I liked collard greens until the really good bbq place went in down the street.

I think I'm good with everything else. Can't think of anything I dislike.

So I got a 14lb turkey gonna grill it tomorrow. Any suggestions from the smokers here?? Gonna use drip pan with charcoal on outsides if it but that's about as much as I know

Never done a turkey. Be sure the temp is okay, of course...that's all I have to say.

Shitty weather today.

Cool here, but the rain held off until this evening. Annie had her first-ever soccer game today and had an absolute blast. They didn't win, but she wasn't upset in the least.

Then this evening Emma had her last Winter Guard performance of the year (flag team). She did great. The girls are both getting more active at school, which is making transportation logistics challenging, but they're having tons of fun.

I've been using apple, or hickory and I have a bunch of pear wood from my uncle's old orchard.

Lighter woods I would think. Apple? Hickory is pretty flavorful and might be too much for turkey. Maybe Jon will chime in he has much more experience than I do although this week I'm busting out my thermometer and I'm going to give a brisket a try. Also full plate of short ribs.

I would go with apple. I save stronger woods like hickory for beef. Apple is my go-to for pork and I bet it would be good with turkey too.

. . . and the kid is eating asparagus.

ASPARAGUS!!!

The other day he ate some of my salad. I don't know what's gotten into him but I like it.

You really need to teach the kid to eat his own damn food.

Asparagus is one of the very few vegetables I don't like. Number one on that short list, actually....

Asparagus is one of those that has to be cooked perfectly or it's gross. There's probably a 5 second window of perfection - too short and it's hard and stringy. Too long and it's mushy and gross.

I still don't like peas if they're mushy.

I used to like carrots but not so much these days. Really fresh raw carrots that are sweet which is weird because I used to not like raw carrots, but I used to love cooked carrots and I don't care for those at all any more.

I had no idea I liked collard greens until the really good bbq place went in down the street.

I think I'm good with everything else. Can't think of anything I dislike.

Green beans are the same as asparagus for me - if they're cooked perfectly they're fine, but it's a very narrow window. I loathe lima beans. Nasty. Fortunately Annie loves them, so she gets all of mine.

And I think everyone knows how I feel about fresh tomatoes.

Green beans are the same as asparagus for me - if they're cooked perfectly they're fine, but it's a very narrow window. I loathe lima beans. Nasty. Fortunately Annie loves them, so she gets all of mine.

And I think everyone knows how I feel about fresh tomatoes.

Even the home grown ones?

Actually, I haven't had any really, really good tomatoes in a while. I saved seeds from a plant I had a few years back that was very sweet and very tasty but I haven't planted a garden since then so I don't know if they'll be as good. It seems like even the varieties you plant at home are getting more and more bland or my memories are just better than my realities.

I throw asparagus on a really hot grill until they get a char mark and then I roll them over and do the same.. They're not stringy and they actually have a little snap to them but they are also tender.

I probably have to re-season my grill again. I think taking it to 1000*F today burned off any oil in the metal.

My buddy that smokes all the time swears by Kingsford Charcoal.

He says it burns at a lower temp and he can control the heat better. But he has an offset firebox smoker and I think it has a blower too. I haven't tried it in my Akorn but I can't see it being any better than lump charcoal for what I have.

I throw asparagus on a really hot grill until they get a char mark and then I roll them over and do the same.. They're not stringy and they actually have a little snap to them but they are also tender.

I probably have to re-season my grill again. I think taking it to 1000*F today burned off any oil in the metal.

I love grilled asparagus.

Here's crazy, my kIds love to bring salads for lunch.

Even the home grown ones?

Actually, I haven't had any really, really good tomatoes in a while. I saved seeds from a plant I had a few years back that was very sweet and very tasty but I haven't planted a garden since then so I don't know if they'll be as good. It seems like even the varieties you plant at home are getting more and more bland or my memories are just better than my realities.

I have found that the tomatoes we buy in Florida are MUCH better than the ones we get up here. I was genuinely surprised the first time I ate one. It made me remember what a tomato should taste like. Down there, I often have big wedges of fresh tomato as a side with my meals....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom