Seasonistas Baritone Thread

Heino when you win a little one can I have first dibs ;-)

I love my baritones to pieces but it sure is fun to have a variety of sounds in my arsenal. For a woman that loves them both it is nice when you come across a song that is already worked out but too high vocally to grab the baritone dropping the key down to a comfortable range.

I prefer the sound of the baritone but I do find that I conveniently grab the little one that sits closest to me when Im on the computer searching for a song. I think thats probably why I use the little one more.

The little ones are just easier to keep handy to grab when inspiration hits - I used to grab my long neck soprano the most whilst learning to play.

I do love the bari sound, but still find it a handful - I've been picking up a tenor scale the most just lately. :)

I decided to order the electroacoustic baritone LB55. £58 down from £145 looks like an excellent deal. I also ordered a hard shell case at half price, cheaper than the heavily padded gig bags I normally use. I've been enjoying the tone of some of the baris that I have heard on recent seasons vids so decided this was a good chance to go for one.

I wonder if we all got our baris from the sale at the (sadly now closed) Music Room. I was quite happy with my Soprano and concert Ukes til I saw a nice looking mango baritone Lani. I like it. Decent enough tone, fun to play and cheap as chips. Has made me want a better bari now though.

I'm very happy with my bari. I like the tone, it sounds good plugged in and it was overall fantastic value. I'm not bothered that it's laminate, it's a decent thin laminate with a nice finish and others have commented on the tone. The only thing is the wound strings are wearing already, though they say wound strings need replacing more often than non wound. I'm planning on getting a set of Living Water Bari strings to try

Jeff over at the HumbleBaritonics blog asked me a while back to submit some tabs of my arrangements for baritone. I'm just starting to submit some. This request gave me an excuse to finally learn to use some sort of tab software. I'm currently using TuxGuitar, which has some limitations but was free and simple to learn. I spent a lot of time futzing with MuseScore but didn't find it uke/guitar friendly and overkill for my purposes. Nice bit of software though!

HumbleBaritonics is a great resource for all things baritone if you haven't already subscribed to the blog. He finds a wide variety of videos featuring the baritone uke.

You can find my tabs on the page he created for me

Here's my page. http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/p/andrew-morse.html

There's only one song sheet there right now. It's one I learned by watching pabrizzer's video. I had so much fun with "Blue Shadows" during Cowboy week that I worked up a complete tab score for it too, which should be available shortly. I'm looking through my past vids for the next one to try.

Thanks Andrew for the link above! Hadn't found that blog, and tabs of your arrangements too! Woop!

Re: bari strings. I emailed Aquila that their wound strings were unravelling, someone actually rang me from Italy to talk to me about it. Said that my cheap Makala uke was probably the issue, that the frets were the problem and needed to be smoothened down. I was skeptical to say the least, but duly got out a metal nail file, and smoothened them down and then very fine sandpaper. No issues after that at all!

Anyway, the point of this story is, the replacement strings they gave me are called Aquila Black - the nylon strings are a dark grey colour and they sound amazing! Going to order some for my concert uke too I love them so much. Only new out, so well worth a try. Everyone who tries my baritone comments on the tone and sound of it since I put those strings on.

Jeff over at the HumbleBaritonics blog asked me a while back to submit some tabs of my arrangements for baritone. I'm just starting to submit some. This request gave me an excuse to finally learn to use some sort of tab software. I'm currently using TuxGuitar, which has some limitations but was free and simple to learn. I spent a lot of time futzing with MuseScore but didn't find it uke/guitar friendly and overkill for my purposes. Nice bit of software though!

HumbleBaritonics is a great resource for all things baritone if you haven't already subscribed to the blog. He finds a wide variety of videos featuring the baritone uke.

You can find my tabs on the page he created for me

Here's my page. http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/p/andrew-morse.html

There's only one song sheet there right now. It's one I learned by watching pabrizzer's video. I had so much fun with "Blue Shadows" during Cowboy week that I worked up a complete tab score for it too, which should be available shortly. I'm looking through my past vids for the next one to try.

Thanks for sharing the news about your contributions to Humblebartronics. When we PMed each other you had mentioned this and I am so glad you have two pieces up already. The sheets look great, are easy to read and follow.

I really enjoy all of your baritone songs and arrangements on your youtube channel. Keep up the great work and thanks again Andrew!!!

Thanks Andrew for the link above! Hadn't found that blog, and tabs of your arrangements too! Woop!

Re: bari strings. I emailed Aquila that their wound strings were unravelling, someone actually rang me from Italy to talk to me about it. Said that my cheap Makala uke was probably the issue, that the frets were the problem and needed to be smoothened down. I was skeptical to say the least, but duly got out a metal nail file, and smoothened them down and then very fine sandpaper. No issues after that at all!

Anyway, the point of this story is, the replacement strings they gave me are called Aquila Black - the nylon strings are a dark grey colour and they sound amazing! Going to order some for my concert uke too I love them so much. Only new out, so well worth a try. Everyone who tries my baritone comments on the tone and sound of it since I put those strings on.
On this recommendation, I have ordered some carbon blacks for my bari.....looking forward to getting them on and seeing, or rather hearing what they sound like. Have heard good things about the living water strings too, but for now I am going to see how the carbon blacks fare. My baritone isn't a high end instrument, so will be interesting.....

I'm sure that the tone wood & construction of any baritone uke determines the best string possibilities. For my solid mango Pono ('Deluxe' so it's a glossy finish) bari, D'Addario Titanium (model EJ87B) are - HANDS DOWN - the best sounding strings to my ear. As far as I can tell, this string set has the identical 1, 2 & 4 strings (and a superior 3rd string, imho) as the Ko'olau 'Alohi baritone set... at about ½ the price. (But strings preferences are extremely subjective...)

As you say, it is extremely subjective. With my guitar I tend to buy by gauge rather than make, although I've always gone for a decent make, Martins or Daddarios for example. Just fancied experimenting with new strings on the bari. It does have Aquilas on anyway. I might even make a before and after vid, as much for my own curiosity as anything.

oh man you guys, after watching one of Linda's recent videos, I'm JONESING BAD for a bari!! I keep on telling myself I don't need it, I do , after all, have 4 guitars to grab when I want a fuller sound! But man, I feel like I it would open up so many other options! Now, i just have to wait until we move...

What on earth has happened to Humble Baritonics - it looks really scruffy & is much more difficult to read! :confused:

I've been in touch with Jeff about it. I suggested using that font for titles and headings but a better one for body text. He is experimenting with the blogger theme so I think it is a work in progress.

I'm probably going to get a baritone within the next few months. Does anyone know if anyone makes a set of all wound strings, so I don't have a mixture of wound and regular strings?

I'm probably going to get a baritone within the next few months. Does anyone know if anyone makes a set of all wound strings, so I don't have a mixture of wound and regular strings?

I have not seen one, but I bet Dirk at Southcoast would know if such a thing can be done.

Top Bottom