GAS: Who's afflicted? How badly?

Congratulations! I am also amazed at the quality of the Alvarez 24" scale all hog parlor I have. I think you will really enjoy it. ;)

Congratulations! I am also amazed at the quality of the Alvarez 24" scale all hog parlor I have. I think you will really enjoy it. ;)

Definitely enjoying this and really happy with the instrument. No GAS so far, which speaks for the guitar. :) Loving the steel string sound!

One area I have been experimenting in is posture. Classical posture works best for me for fretting, and I think my guitar sounds best when played this way, but I also like the casual, right leg posture even though I have much less reach. Sitting on the floor or bed also work well with the parlor size, but that's a bit unconventional (then again, that sounds just like me). I tried a really nice suede strap from Taylor, which is great for standing. What I'm trying out next is a Dynarette, which I suspect may just be the perfect solution (and no back issues down the road from a foot rest).

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum.

Guitars that I've owned:
Kay solidbody electric
Fender Jazzmaster
Aria folk acoustic
Terada classical (1976)
Fernandez Strat w/humbuckers (1983)
Cimar Bass
Peavey Dyna-bass (1986)

Currently own the Terada & Peavey

Amps:
Harmony
Fender Princeton (1966)
Standel Artist X
Fender Sidekick Bass
Roland Super Cube 60 Bass (1986)
Blackstar Fly 3 Bass (2017)

Currently own the Roland and the Blackstar

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think there is a good chance that GAS and UAS eventually lead to a point of (over)saturation where people begin to thin the herd, and keep what they like best or have the strongest bond with. It happened with me and ukuleles, too (I peaked at 13 or 14). Still only have one guitar. It am not sure if I can handle six strings comfortably still, so until I sorted that out, I'll just stick with my one guitar. If I were to buy a second one, I know exactly what I'd get, which at least is reassuring! :p (Either a Blackbird e-koa one or a Rainsong carbon fiber one.)

I think there is a good chance that GAS and UAS eventually lead to a point of (over)saturation where people begin to thin the herd, and keep what they like best or have the strongest bond with. It happened with me and ukuleles, too (I peaked at 13 or 14). Still only have one guitar. It am not sure if I can handle six strings comfortably still, so until I sorted that out, I'll just stick with my one guitar. If I were to buy a second one, I know exactly what I'd get, which at least is reassuring! :p (Either a Blackbird e-koa one or a Rainsong carbon fiber one.)

A lot of truth here about herd-thinning. Just got a Martin 5-15 tenor guitar this week and can't put it down. It's made me consider what to do with some of the excess stock in the stable. A Flea soprano which needs work and hasn't been touched for months is now heading for a grave, along with a "parts" soprano that has been taking up space. Two tenors (the Lanikais) and the Rocky Top mandolin are probable sales/trade bait, especially for a mini-guitar. After that, there may be room in the storage closet for a uacket or two.

I have a AP66SHB alvarez parlor and it truely changed my guitar playing. Ive had two full size dreadnaughts and while one wasnt great the other was a seagull that i was in love with. Played like absolute butter. But the damn thing was just entirely too big for me. Sold it about 2 years ago and never looked back. Saw the alvarez in the local shop about 4 months ago now, just an absolutely beautiful guitar and had to have it. Has such an amazing sound for a parlor, not short on anything you would want or lacking in any area. Guitar, picks, great heavy duty gig bag, cost around 340 bucks. Best deal ive ever had on a and new instrument

I have a AP66SHB alvarez parlor and it truely changed my guitar playing ... Guitar, picks, great heavy duty gig bag, cost around 340 bucks. Best deal ive ever had on a and new instrument

That's the mahogany version of what I have, and I feel the same about the Alvarez parlors. Alvarez make two upgraded versions of the AP models, which I imagine must be even better. That quality gig bag is indeed great, easily a 50+ bucks value by itself. It wasn't included until I asked the vendor what bag he'd recommend. He said, "I have a perfect Alvarez bag for you, gratis!". He also threw in two packs of Elixir strings and a tuner, making this an even better deal.

Top Bottom