Small Guitar Question

The small Martin played by MacKenzie Bourg on American Idol was probably a size 5 Terz Guitar

(Apologies for the hijack.) MacKenzie is a tenant in my apartment building in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles, he's been living there about a year and half with a roommate. We once talked about him hiring a uke player for a gig he did. I knew he was pursuing music and wondered if he would go for American Idol, then surprise I saw him on the show. So for he's moving along.

Last edited:
Then it will sound like a uke with two extra bass strings. ;)

Last edited:
The GL1 is fun but I find it's hard to finger because of the small space.

As for steel strings, Ibanez has just started making a Piccolo Guitar (EWP14), i.e. a steel string Guitar in the size of a Tenor Ukulele.
Got one....love it! Also have the Yamaha GL1. It's fun and cool, but not nearly the instrument the Ibanez is....IMHO.

If you want folk/classical nylon strings, Cordoba makes a few different small guitars from 1/4, 1/2 up to 3/4. I was given a 3/4 Protege to review and it's actually my favorite guitar for traveling. It's small enough in the gig bag to not be awkward, light weight and short enough to fit overhead bins. It plays almost as well as the full sized classical and it has a slightly narrower fretboard. Sound is good.

The point here is that the 3/4 size is almost the same playing pleasure as a full-sized guitar but a lot more portable. Fender makes a steel stringed version in the 3/4 size for acoustic steel. Many people buy the Baby Taylor which is also a 3/4 but I can't see paying that kind of money for a travel guitar.

I have the Cordoba Cadete 3/4 (24" scale) nylon string with the cedar top, and love it, and also the Cordoba Mini R nylon, which I probably mentioned already, 20" scale, love it! I got both used for a steal.

The Cadete came out before the Protege and they are very similar. I love my Protege. I know this is funny, but I keep it next to my bed. Sometimes I can't sleep, and I can play it in bed. Unlike a bigger guitar, the smaller bout doesn't get in my way if I'm sitting flat on a bed.

Hi, first time here. I have been learning on both nylon and steel full sized guitar and am drawn to a small(er) guitar, not a ukulele but a travel guitar. There is a Cordoba that's been mentioned here, equally an Ibanez (steel). I like the idea of a wide-ish neck, any suggestions? Thank you (btw, based in the UK). Martin

Hi, first time here. I have been learning on both nylon and steel full sized guitar and am drawn to a small(er) guitar, not a ukulele but a travel guitar. There is a Cordoba that's been mentioned here, equally an Ibanez (steel). I like the idea of a wide-ish neck, any suggestions? Thank you (btw, based in the UK). Martin

Welcome to the forum. :)

It's unfortunately no longer available, or I would already have one, but if you can find one used, a Tacoma Papoose P1 might just be the pinnacle of small sized steel string guitars.

Because I have no experience with small guitars, was wondering what would be a percentage in degradation of sound vs. a regular size guitar?

Because I have no experience with small guitars, was wondering what would be a percentage in degradation of sound vs. a regular size guitar?

Might be a better question for the Acoustic Guitar Forum as you'll get a wider spectrum of views there, but from what I understand it cannot be generalized and depends on how it is built. There'll be a stronger focus on the mids, so less boom and a bit more clarity, which can cut through dreadnoughts better.

Hi, you may want to check out the Pono small terz guitar. They have a couple of different model #'s like UL-40SP. Steel strings. String scale is 21.4" Nut width is slightly wider than standard. They make a nice quality guitar, which sometimes is harder to find in a small model. You can check out the specs on ponoguitar.com

I have a 3/4 guitar by Cordoba The sound is good, not as deep as my full sized classical but fairly loud. The only issue I have with it, is that the fingerboard is narrower than the full sized classical. This is no different than going from uke to guitar, only it's six strings and wider than a uke, of course.

It's much lighter and narrower and smaller than my full sized guitar and easy to carry around. I've been keeping it in my office at work to be able to play at lunchtime (office has a door, I know, I know, hate me, you cube-farm folks) and it's convenient yet the sound is very full.

As you'd expect, it's laminate and not solid wood at the price, but it's rather enjoyable. If I were camping and carrying backpack, hiking in, I'd take it over any full size guitar.

Weerpool
What Guitar is this you are showing?, cant see the name, looks great, thanks J&C

Last edited:
I think what Weerpool is showing is Linda Manzer's "Little Manzer". From what I understand, this is an Alto Guitar (about the scale length of a Tenor Ukulele), but tuned like most Guitaleles to A-A instead of E-E, and she makes them both for nylon and steel strings. Very nice, but the last one I saw was priced in the five digits.

I think what Weerpool is showing is Linda Manzer's "Little Manzer". From what I understand, this is an Alto Guitar (about the scale length of a Tenor Ukulele), but tuned like most Guitaleles to A-A instead of E-E, and she makes them both for nylon and steel strings. Very nice, but the last one I saw was priced in the five digits.

It's a guitarlele. Nice.

Top Bottom