Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

The Kala I use most has built-in pickup & tuner. The KA-TE, tenor. Goes for around $200. My other tenor, Kala KA-TEME, has the same electronics. I don't remember the price but it should be in the same range.

Oh heck! Forget getting another uke! Someone has created a box that will simulate Mellotron sounds! The stuff prog rock uker dreams are made of! I want to run my Kawika and Fluke through one of these.

:iwant:

Yay! Barclay James Harvest!

I've got to say if you had posted this two days later I would've thought it was an April Fool prank.

Oh heck! Forget getting another uke! Someone has created a box that will simulate Mellotron sounds! The stuff prog rock uker dreams are made of! I want to run my Kawika and Fluke through one of these.

A friend of mine has one - or another maker's version. They're brilliant. He was noodling on and another of my friends joined in with his guitar and singing so I picked up my flute and improvised along with them. Quite a band!

Google at it again? When I click on the location for a video I'm uploading, You Tube suddenly decides I'm in Florida. A bit odd as I'm 3000 miles away to the east. :confused: :eek:ld:

Howdy, Seasonistas --

I want to electrify a uke (or add a new one to the stable) so I could go to open mics or larger jams. I don't want to spend much money. And I really would prefer not to buy a new uke because I may not give it a lot of love.

If I decided to retrofit, it would probably be the Fluke and would be done by a pro.

If I bought a new/ish one, I'd be looking for an inexpensive laminate (Cordoba, Kala, etc.) concert or maybe tenor. Something in the $200 or under range.

Any recommendations?

Does adding a pickup to a uke you own change the playability when you're unplugged?

Thanks, y'all.

Who needs electrickery ....

Not a pick up in sight.

Frippertronics for the uke? When are you getting it, Jim?

Hey Seasonistas! I was wondering about what strings you guys like to use. I think that I like Martin the best. I really like the bright, happy sound. My Cordoba concert uke came with Aquilas and I hate the process of changing the strings (mine always seem to slip a few times before I get them on right, and it's super frustrating),and I like the way they sound ok, so I've left them, but I have a cheap soprano that I play at work, and it has Martins on it. After I play that one, and go back home and play the Cordoba,I always want to change the Aquilas. Really, I'm going back and forth.

I wanted to know what you guys think, since I've gotten acquainted with what your ukes sound like over the last few weeks. What are your favorite strings?

Hey Seasonistas! I was wondering about what strings you guys like to use. I think that I like Martin the best. I really like the bright, happy sound. My Cordoba concert uke came with Aquilas and I hate the process of changing the strings (mine always seem to slip a few times before I get them on right, and it's super frustrating),and I like the way they sound ok, so I've left them, but I have a cheap soprano that I play at work, and it has Martins on it. After I play that one, and go back home and play the Cordoba,I always want to change the Aquilas. Really, I'm going back and forth.

I wanted to know what you guys think, since I've gotten acquainted with what your ukes sound like over the last few weeks. What are your favorite strings?

Mine are all Worth strings - mostly the Clear Medium, but a couple have Brown Medium on them. I just find they ring out well. I have used a few other Flourocarbon strings too, including the Martin ones you mention, but seem to have settled on Worth. I am not that keen on Aquilas - don't like the feel of them, and to my ears they are more of a plunk than a chime. But on cheaper ukes they can sound OK.

I actually have Aquila on almost all my ukes. I have Living Water on my smaller concert. Not sure what MiM put on my Soprano but Ive left them. I play with low G strings on most too.

I really think it depends on the Uke. You need to get an upgrade on the cheaper ukes to get an improvement.

Some strings are too thick (Ko'olau) for my liking and some (Browns) are too thin. Its very personal.

I tried Martins on my Martin Baritone and I couldn't tell a significant difference between them and the Aquila.

Last edited:
I'm still experimenting. I really liked the Fremont Soloist low G and I'm enjoying the Aquila Reds reentrant set I have on my concert at the moment (thanks for those Randy). I'm going to try out PHD strings next. I don't have a problem with Aquila Nylguts, but I really disliked the Hilos that came with one of my ukes.

Last edited:
I like the Aquila Reds. I mostly play my tenors, though, and I have classical guitar strings on both of them.

Top Bottom