Ashokan Farewell

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Although it is in the style of a Scottish lament, this beautiful tune was composed by Jay Unger in 1982. I have just used the tune and worked my own arrangement around it. I actually had never heard it before yesterday when a subscriber suggested that I do an arrangement of it.

The title refers to the village of Ashokan, in the Catskills, which is now covered by the waters of a reservoir.

I am playing an Ohana TK-35CG. This (and the TK-35G) is my favourite ukulele to play and the best all-round tenor uke of any that I use (including very much more expensive instruments).

This arrangement is quite difficult to play as you have have to be very precise with the fingering and dynamics. I think that the campanella technique makes it sound good, but adds to the difficulty.

My TAB for this arrangement is available free. I'm having problems with my website at the moment, so, if you want the TAB, please send me your email address and I will send it to you. If you try this arrangement, it would be really helpful to me to get some feedback. Thanks.

Really nice arrangement and performance Ken! I have always liked that song.. ever since it was used in the Ken Burn's documentary "The Civil War". I would love to try your arrangement. I haven't done very many arrangements myself, but I do have one for this song in Low G. I will email it to you.

–Lori

Really nice arrangement and performance Ken! I have always liked that song.. ever since it was used in the Ken Burn's documentary "The Civil War". I would love to try your arrangement. I haven't done very many arrangements myself, but I do have one for this song in Low G. I will email it to you.

–Lori

Thank you Lori. I will send you this version.

Ken - as always your playing is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Not sure if it is my monitor or it was planned but the video was kinda black and white - which fit the piece very nicely.

Very sweet. thanks Ken,
DAP

very very nice ken! I have loved this song for many years. I have played it on the piano for as long as my feeble memory can recall. It has such a haunting sad tone remembering its roots in history. Yes Jay Ungar did well with this one. Bill Mathiessen has published a series of waltz books, 3, (more fake books than full notation) that I play a lot from. A lot of beautiful waltzes, many from canadian roots and lovely to play just as simple melodic lines. some of Jay and Molly's songs are included in them. Jay and Molly's site is http://www.jayandmolly.com/ if anyone wants to take a look. Thanks Ken! Lozark

Last edited:
Ken - as always your playing is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Not sure if it is my monitor or it was planned but the video was kinda black and white - which fit the piece very nicely.

Unless I think a video looks nice in colour, or makes what I am playing look clearer, I usually do the video in black and white. I like photos in B & W too.

very very nice ken! I have loved this song for many years. I have played it on the piano for as long as my feeble memory can recall. It has such a haunting sad tone remembering its roots in history. Yes Jay Ungar did well with this one. Bill Mathiessen has published a series of waltz books, 3, (more fake books than full notation) that I play a lot from. A lot of beautiful waltzes, many from canadian roots and lovely to play just as simple melodic lines. some of Jay and Molly's songs are included in them. Jay and Molly's site is http://www.jayandmolly.com/ if anyone wants to take a look. Thanks Ken! Lozark

Thanks for that the info. Yes, I will take a look at their site.

Aloha Ken,
I'm not familar with that song, but your rendition was BEAUTIFUL. I replayed it 4 times just reminicing about my late WIFE. MAHALO for that..........BO.........

Makin the rest of us look bad Ken, like always ;)

Haha. Not my intention, Dane. A lot of non-uke players ( and some that play) think of it as an instrument that is only good for playing "Ain't She Sweet" or maybe a George Formby song. I'm just trying to make the uke look good.

Haha. Not my intention, Dane. A lot of non-uke players ( and some that play) think of it as an instrument that is only good for playing "Ain't She Sweet" or maybe a George Formby song. I'm just trying to make the uke look good.

Oh yes I know, I'm trying to show the other side of the ukulele was well, but you're much better than me. You played guitar before ukulele correct Ken?

Top Bottom