What's the difference between a good uke and a great uke?

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
Obviously the price, but I am looking to round out my collection with a soprano. I currently have a concert Ibanez (my first uke) and a tenor Kala. The Kala is clearly the better sounding uke, but I do enjoy the Ibanez too. My budget is around $200-$250 right now. There are so many brands out there, that it is a little overwhelming. What should I be looking for? I want that typical uke sound that you would expect from a sorpano ,but not tinny sounding. I have no problem ordering online if the shop will do a set up for me. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

A good point with action is that is should be best suited to you as a player. If you can test a uke that you like you should check the intonation, and fret buzz.

I have recently acquired a Brüko no.5.

Really, really beautifully made by a family factory in Germany. And cheap!

http://brueko.de/en/index.html

The action is a bit higher than some ukes I've played. But it plays beautifully. It really sings!

I will answer your question with a question:
Can you get a "great" ukulele for $250?
But I'm no expert, so maybe someone else can answer that question.

So what is your question: The difference between a good and a great uke or the best uke you can purchase for $200 to $250? I personally favor the mellow woods with Mahagony being my favorite. I think safe brand names are Kala, Ohana, Mainland. My preference is Mainland. And purchase from a reputable dealer who does a professional set up. That is my two cents, for what it is worth.

I will answer your question with a question:
Can you get a "great" ukulele for $250?
But I'm no expert, so maybe someone else can answer that question.

As someone who has been fortunate enough to do that, yes, you can.

I have also acquired (and returned) a very mediocre $800 K brand (this was 3-4 years ago).

There can be a huge variation between instruments, even of the same make and model. Some are exceptionally sweet sounding. Others, not so much, regardless of brand. I think the higher end instruments have less variation, but it's still there.

For your particular situation, I would recommend a Mainland set up with a low action (if you prefer) by Mike. One of the best set-up guys and beautiful sounding ukes. I have a Mango, but I have had a Mahogany Soprano, too. Your question is a little unclear, and this may not be the answer you were looking for.

...soprano... around $200-$250... What should I be looking for? ... not tinny sounding...
Here, let me make this easier for you folks ;)
I'll go first:
mahogany, mango or Koa (which one looks good to you in a picture)
You like your Kala, right? probably consider the solid mahogany
Mainland Ukes
Mele Ukulele
Pono
Islander
That's all I got right now, hope it helps :)

First...let's be honest. In the $200 to $250 range you quoted a truly great uke will be a pretty rare find even in a soprano. That's if we're saying that a really great uke is so good that everybody who plays it goes "wow," which is my threshhold for great. You're not even assured of that with the "k brand" Hawiian ukes - though it's far more likely there. I love Mainlands, have my fifth on the way right now, but I would never say that you are always going to get a "great" uke going that route (very high probability of getting a very good one, though).

That said, you can choose from several very good ukes in your price range. So, in this price range, what's the difference between a good uke and a very good uke? Typically, attention to detail. You're pretty much looking at "factory" ukes in this price range but the extra attention given after a uke comes off the assembly line can make the difference between good and very good.

First, to be "very good" a uke must properly intonate on every string at the first few frets. It's the nature of fixed bridges that you probably won't get perfect intonation well up the neck (12th fret territory) but the intonation at the first couple of frets simply has to be perfect. It almost never is on a factory uke and that's why folks like Mim, HMS, Mike, Mike, and Mike :) set them up when they sell them.

Second, to be "very good" a uke must have a reasonable action. Not necessarily "super low" - some people don't even like "super low" - but it has to be low enough that it doesn't adversely affect intonation at the high end of the fretboard or make barre chords around the fifth fret difficult (most high-fret intonation is not setup related, unless the action is outrageously high).

Third, a "very good" uke must not buzz on any string for any fretting when strummed properly but fairly vigorously.

Finally, a "very good" uke must have pleasant tone balanced well across the range of the instrument with no wierd resonances at particular frequencies.

Note two things that don't appear on my list above - I've said nothing about volume and nothing about appearance. An instrument that has a pleasant but quiet voice can be amplified...I find pleasant but quiet far more desireable than unpleasant and loud! (think about it) Appearance is purely subjective and one man's beauty is another's...well...not beauty. :) I still am not crazy about the Mainland rope binding but that doesn't stop me from buying them! Even dents, dings, wear, and finish flaws are nothing if the instrument is otherwise "very good" (not that you should expect those things on a new instrument but they shouldn't stop you from buying a used instrument that is otherwise "very good"). In fact, in your price range you might be able to find a rather rough but good Hawaiian or Martin.

Good ukes are sitting in cases or closets. Great ukes are making music.

You want a ukulele that you'll play. In that price range, there are many good ukes that you could make great.

Last edited:
Great ukes are very very rare or I have been truely unlucky...ha ha not every uke or bunch of ukes will aquire that status....
maybe one out of ten or twenty....and it isn't a money thing either..well maybe you get a more consistant build from higher
end ukes,,but certainly NOT garanteed for sure...there is too much in the building variables...they certainly are not common
"A great uke is one that impresses everyone who hears or plays it"
" A Great Uke is one that get alot of enjoyment and gets played alot"
" A Great Uke has the looks and sound perfect" way above almost all others..
Some never find one.....that is why we keep buying ukes to find one........ It is almost impossible to find a great uke for the price
you stated....however you might find what is called to me is a ...Gem in the rough.....which is a good ukulele:)

Last edited:
The person who plays it.

Obviously the price, but I am looking to round out my collection with a soprano. I currently have a concert Ibanez (my first uke) and a tenor Kala. The Kala is clearly the better sounding uke, but I do enjoy the Ibanez too. My budget is around $200-$250 right now. There are so many brands out there, that it is a little overwhelming. What should I be looking for? I want that typical uke sound that you would expect from a sorpano ,but not tinny sounding. I have no problem ordering online if the shop will do a set up for me. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Short answer for me: the sounds I can get out of it. That is, at my level of playing, I have a feeling a $1000 uke will sound pretty darn close to a $400 one.

PM sent, by the way.

Try the Ohana Vita Uke. Soprano neck, concert body, great sound. Should be able to get one with a hard shell case for around $250-300.

Is it a great uke? Or just a very good uke?

That's for you to decide. But for me, while not my number one ukulele, it is tied for #2 with my fluke.

-Kurt​

Just my 2 cents, I think a great uke does what you want it to do, when you want to do it and sounds just like how you want it to.

I think it's a fit between player and instrument.

Top Bottom