Traditional Rosettes for Ukulele - Where Can You Find Them

Vic D

Reaction score
Who's got 'em? I mean the old style tiled wood rosettes, seems nobody makes them for ukulele. I can't find anyone who sells them on the net. Been thinking of making my own sometime down the road.

I don't know who makes 'em to buy, but doing it yourself is - I think you said it yourself on another thread - tedious. I tried it once but actually gave up half way through because it was eating up too much time trying to make it look really good and not just like abstract splatter painting. I may finish it some day... when I retire or go demented, whichever comes first.

I don't know who makes 'em to buy, but doing it yourself is - I think you said it yourself on another thread - tedious. I tried it once but actually gave up half way through because it was eating up too much time trying to make it look really good and not just like abstract splatter painting. I may finish it some day... when I retire or go demented, whichever comes first.
You make e'm round a mandril...like the tube inside a bog roll start with a thin veneer for the inner ring..make up the pattern with whatever you like with sticks of wood or plastic and finally another veneer spiral for the outer ring.
PICT2.jpg

Heres some more ideas
http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB3...posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking along that line but hadn't yet gone all the way, especially because we never make more than a couple instruments of the same size or design so the appropriate sound hole size and rosette design varies from one project to another.

BTW, I got an error trying to access the search function at ukulelecosmos. Would be nice to see what designs others are coming up with.

If anyone is interested in creating the "knitting pattern" for their own rosette design, here's a simple java applet you can use: http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/luthierie/software/rosette_applet/AppletHtml.html. You can choose different pattern matching options, but remember that you'll need to compensate for increasing circumference on the outer rings.

Top Bottom