What's your favorit Beater?

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
Like most I started with a beater. I bought a Lanikai Soprano. I feel in love with the uku and ordered myself a Mainland Concert shortly after. I also was given a Makala which is also fun to play. Not sure if I like the Lnaikai or makala more. I think I like the soul better on the Lanikai but is has Aquila's on it so maybe that helps.

Whats your favorite beater?

Probably my Hilo baritone, I bought it for $10 and put a set of low G Aquila's on it and it sounds OK even though somewhere in it's past it was dropped and the lower bout has a big dent in it. And we also have the 2 Makala Dolphins but they belong to my grandkids and they would be very offended if I called them beaters.

The Flea is expensive for a beater, but I simply cannot harm that dang thing. It's my take-it-everywhere uke.

I used to be big on the idea of a "beater", using it as an excuse to get some inexpensive ukes that I was curious about. Then I realized that I almost never play them (not because they are bad or anything, but because I gravitate toward my best ukes). I guess my true beater these days is my William King concert, because I play it like 90% of the time, and therefore it takes the most "beating" out of all my ukes.

The only one I got....Makala Concert!

The Dolphin is the best of my beater ukes. I have a TV Pal that I use in the car too. Its neck snapped off at the body and the headstock broke at the nut, but a little super glue and it's back in business.

I used to be big on the idea of a "beater", using it as an excuse to get some inexpensive ukes that I was curious about. Then I realized that I almost never play them (not because they are bad or anything, but because I gravitate toward my best ukes). I guess my true beater these days is my William King concert, because I play it like 90% of the time, and therefore it takes the most "beating" out of all my ukes.
Oh, to have a William King be my beater...

My Risa Soprano Stick. I take it with me everywhere (played it at the laundromat yesterday). With the solid body it's virtually indestructible.

The Flea is expensive for a beater, but I simply cannot harm that dang thing. It's my take-it-everywhere uke.

+1. I love my fluke, and with an upgraded padded gigbag I have no worries about dragging it around with me. I got mine used, so it was reasonably priced, and it comes in concert size, which dolphins don't.

My modded lava flea. In-des-truc-tible´n good lookin´. Just like myself :cool:.

My concert flea. plastic fretboard, cool light 'spring' green color, and i got it on the cheap (never used with a case for 120)!

I know, Jon! My Kala KA -T is my GOOD uke. I guess my Makala Pinapple soprano is my beater but in truth they both travel everywhere with me and I gig with both of them so.....
Our probklem is we live in New Zealand so a $150 uke costs $210 here. A good $300 uke costs $420 and a covertble $600 uke costs ...well you get the picture. So I've decided to use a NZ luthier WHEN I can justify the expense.

Top Bottom