Recording to improve playing???

TobyDog

Reaction score
I've realized that I have no idea what my playing sounds like, short of hitting all the right notes.

Does anyone record themselves so they can critique their playing?
If so, what kind of recorder do you use? (please don't say 'phone', mine is old and crappy and doesn't have that feature)

thanks!

This is a super great idea that will teach you much (more than you might like!).

You can get a little Zoom recorder for $75~ and up. I have one of their mics for my iPod, but the all-in-one units are basically the same.

A little cheaper would be a USB mic for your computer, but then you have to learn to use a recording program and set it all up. The standalone recorder route is much easier if you don't plan on creating a whole production down the road.

I've just started. I purchased the new Zoom H1n. You can record to a micro sd card or directly to a computer with a USB cable. If using the cable, it is also powered via the cable. Has lots more features that I doubt I'll ever use. Sound quality seems very good (as good as the USB mics for the same or more $$). So you get a USB mic and a portable recorder for the same or less money.

Thank you! You both mention the Zoom, so I'll look into that brand.

I'll never be creating a whole production setup, just want the easiest way to hear my playing so I can improve it;)

I've realized that I have no idea what my playing sounds like, short of hitting all the right notes.

Does anyone record themselves so they can critique their playing?
If so, what kind of recorder do you use? (please don't say 'phone', mine is old and crappy and doesn't have that feature)

thanks!

When I first started in 'The Seasons', I just used a digital camera to record myself, but it was a bit of a hassle to keep removing the SD card & plugging it into my computer, so that I could upload it. So, I bought a Samson Meteor USB mic, plug it into the computer, & record that way. (Audacity is a free recording program).

I've been tempted with other kit, but haven't succumbed, yet. ;)

Forgot to mention that I'm using Audacity too, as Keith mentioned. Easy to use the basic features and you can't beat free.

For the purposes of practice, I use the built-in microphone on my laptop and Audacity (or similar). Whilst the results may not be of "distributable" quality (and in mono) they're perfectly good enough to be able to judge pitch and timing ... obviously if you don't have a laptop YMMV ;)

For the purposes of practice, I use the built-in microphone on my laptop and Audacity (or similar). Whilst the results may not be of "distributable" quality (and in mono) they're perfectly good enough to be able to judge pitch and timing ... obviously if you don't have a laptop YMMV ;)

I've got a laptop, I've just never used the microphone - have to figure it out :)
Thanks for the tip!

Yippee - have a free way to hear myself play. 'Sound Recorder' will do for a while.

Thank you Kypfer!

Last edited:
Sometimes it is just better not to know what you sound like.:)

I second the Zoom H1n recorder. You can plug in a pair of headphones to monitor yourself during recording, as well as listen back with the headphones.

This will be the simplest hardware option that does not require you to use a computer.

Once the microSD card is full of recordings, you can transfer them to your computer via USB, via drag-and-drop because no special drivers or other software is required to do this, and then simple erase the microSD card and start over.

I used to use my phone for quick and dirty recordings, but when I saw the Zoom H1n on sale on B and H Photo for $69 new and free shipping, I grabbed one, and it has served me well.

I too wanted to start recording myself, and being a total newbie, I read through all of the threads that Booli posted with lots of detailed info, and later when I spoke to him (we live near to each other) he suggested the Zoom H1n, and for me, this was a very good choice.

Also, microSD cards are cheap now that you can grab a few for like $5 each for an 8GB card at Microcenter, and I've even seen them for sale in the grocery store and at 7-11 stores for maybe $1-2 more, and you can record as much as you want and switch out the cards when needed.

The microphones in the Zoom H1n sound way better than my phone recordings and the Zoom also records in stereo and has a sort of natural ambience instead of a one-dimensional and boxy tone like my phone was able to record.

So, it works for me, maybe it will work for you too. I have not tried to use it as a USB mic, since I dont want to bother with using the computer simple to capture my practice sessions.

Prior to using my phone, I was using one of those old-fashioned desktop tape recorders, and I am glad to never have to deal with cassette tapes again nor the hiss that they record as well.

Sometimes it is just better not to know what you sound like.:)

Oh amen to that brother:wtf:. But recording and playing back both singing and uke playing is the BIGGEST help in identifying your weaknesses. Then you can practice with an idea on what to improve.

I second the Zoom H1n recorder.

I used to use my phone for quick and dirty recordings, but when I saw the Zoom H1n on sale on B and H Photo for $69 new and free shipping, I grabbed one, and it has served me well.

Wow - B and H is now selling it for $119.
Thanks for all the info - I think I'll use the free laptop recorder until B and H has another sale, then get the ZoomH1n

Wow - B and H is now selling it for $119.
Thanks for all the info - I think I'll use the free laptop recorder until B and H has another sale, then get the ZoomH1n

The one I got was the previous version than what is on there now as the "new and current" model, it normally sold for $99, and they had some in "limited edition" colors of silver, blue and red. I got a silver one.

The one I have has a different and simpler screen and fewer buttons than the new one for $119 that they are showing. Maybe this is in coordination with new products for NAMM 2018. The newer one seems to have more features.

Perhaps the one I bought was for the sellout of previous stock of the prior version.

I don't mind this one I have being simpler. I just want to set levels and hit record. I'm no audiophile and not sure of all the other bells & whistles would actually be used. But it seems that Zoom have been at this for a few decades with these things, and lots of professional audio as well as video people use them and I've seen like 99% positive reviews.

Sales are bound to happen soon. I usually look at Amazon, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, B and H, and Full Compass Audio and see who has the sales, lowest prices and offers free shipping.

I too am very happy with my Zoom recorder it is about ten years old now a H2 model (also use Audacity with it), the only down side with my old model is it's super slow first generation usb connection. Once in awhile a Zoom recorder will show up in the Marketplace too, just be sure to avoid all the photos of the Ukuleles for sale!

Oh amen to that brother:wtf:. But recording and playing back both singing and uke playing is the BIGGEST help in identifying your weaknesses. Then you can practice with an idea on what to improve.

I know, I've recorded myself and played it back just to see. But I've come to the conclusion from it that I play and sing well enough to not embarrass myself, and that's good enough for me. I do embarrass myself sometimes, but it usually isn't the singing and playing that is embarrassing. But I agree that recording oneself and playing it back is a good tool.

I was playing with a friend yesterday and we were saying how nice it would be to record our improvement over time (at least we hope to improve). Came home, read this thread, went on ebay, got a used H2N for $70! That thing has a ton of features I'll probably never use. Thanks for the advice!

If any of you have been following along with my posts over the years, you will know that I am have a decent amount of experience in both home and pro recording studios, as well as live sound.

Yes, admitted audio geek here! I resisted the Zoom recorders for years because for my needs I felt the money was better spent on discreet components, and depending upon use-case, this is still my usual recommendation.

However, about 6 months ago, I picked up a used Zoom H1n for $59, and I am VERY pleased with this device in every single way.

I love not having to fire up the Mac or the iPad and load Garageband, or run Audacity on Linux, just to get a quick recording.

The Zoom recorder works so well for me too, mainly to capture songwriting ideas, since I can power it on and hit record in less than 10 seconds.

The new one seems to have new features, but I have not gone into detail yet, as I am a bit behind in catching up with all the new products from NAMM 2018 due to still struggling with the flu.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my 2 cents for the Zoom recorders, as a very good, easy and inexpensive way to start recording audio, and especially for newbies, such that they are not overwhelmed with an encyclopedia of audio jargon to learn and understand before being able to start recording.

Glad that some folks have the Zoom recorders now...

also - Joe, I am glad my recommendation is working out for you so well now. :)

Top Bottom