The Tree quilted mahogany for uke sets

VT_strummer

Reaction score
I am new here, looking for info on the possibilities regarding using wood I am acquiring from a famous tree amongst guitar luthiers/players called "The Tree." It is a single large Mahogany felled in Honduras in 1971 which has very unique quilting and tortoise shell figuring as well as, at least for guitars, very highly regarded tone properties (more towards rosewood as opposed to most Mahogany). Some quick links about it below.

http://www.aomoon.com/go/tonewoods/q..._mahogany.html
http://www.guitarbench.com/2009/10/0...ature-article/

I am not a luthier, but ended up stumbling into the potential of buying some of the last boards from an old cabinetmaker who I am doing other business with. He can authenticate it as being the real deal for me. The sizes of the three boards I'm getting leave some extra wood too small for guitars, but perfect for ukes (soprano or concert sized). The luthiers who I am talking to (one who is going to inspect it before I buy it) don't have much experience with ukes.

What I am wondering is the following. Have there been any ukes made from this tree's wood? If so does anybody out there know who built them, their value etc... Last, does anyone have any ideas as a realistic price for such sets? The going rate for guitar back/side sets is now up to as high as $5000 by one luthier (generally $3-4K elsewhere). I can either make up three sets with a tortoise shell top and quilted back and sides OR three sets of back/sides only plus one top/back/side. I'm not sure which ends up being worth more. I do not want to use this rare wood simply to make a quick buck but want it used with appropriate reverence too (if that doesn't sound too over the top) so I'm willing to "do it right" even if I don't end up making quite as much, but I'd least like to know my options. thanks

Thanks for the reply and input. I guess the point of my question is this: there will be extra pieces from this wood after I cut out the guitar sets. I can sell the extra wood off to be made into pool cues, pen and pencil sets, music boxes etc... or try and get it used for what I feel is more deserving for a tone wood with its rarity and history. It wouldn't be "wasted" on a uke so much as utilized as much as possible. Even if its figuring can't be totally appreciated on such a small scale, it's tonal properties and history might make an instrument of interest. I need to have some idea of what I can expect to get for that extra wood before I plunk down the cash for the three boards he has for me. I know what I can get for the guitar sets I can get out of it. I've been told by one person what a pool cue builder would give for one piece (I would make a profit). The figuring wouldn't be all apparent in that use either. Any thoughts of what it might be worth or if anyone has done it yet?

I'm guessing the "VT" stands for Vermont. I would be a little concerned of the winters there and how it might affect the wood. I suggest you send it to me, here in California, just so it will be safe.:)

I've seen pics of guitars made of the Tree, and they are beauties. What might you get for it? Whatever you're getting for them now, plus a little, maybe.(for a completed 'uke) I've seen a guitar set recently for $1000. http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/...p=377879&hilit=+the+tree+set+mahogany#p377879 Good luck, and please don't forget to post some pics.

Last edited:
I've been looking at few sites & images, plus the history of this quilted mahogany tree..and up till now? I have not seen a review saying "it sounds great as a Tonewood" if so it's wasted on stringed musical instruments...Maybe i've been looking in the wrong places?..But it certainly is a nice piece of decorative timber.

I'm guessing the "VT" stands for Vermont. I would be a little concerned of the winters there and how it might affect the wood. I suggest you send it to me, here in California, just so it will be safe.:)

Sorry Steve, It’s already acclimated to these New England winters so it’s best if it resides in my Massachusetts shop!

If you do have a uke made out of the wood, I’d love to check it out.

The link you added suggested a "retail value of $1500" listed for just $1000 and it sold in 4 hours to the first person who saw it at that price. I do know the seller has had the real wood from The Tree so am sure it's authentic. My understanding is that typically the increase in finished guitar price is twice what the luthier pays for the specialty wood in such cases. I'm confident I can get up to $2000 in trade value or cash for the guitar sets I have . My question that no one seems to be addressing is what value such wood has, either retail or wholesale, for UKULELES. I'm going to try and add a picture of the wood that would be for the tops, but don't know if it will work. If not, anyone who can tell me how to put one in?

Last edited:
here's a picture

here's a picture (I hope) of the board that will be used for the Uke tops. 4 9/16" wide, 1" thick and will have 12" left after guitar pieces cut out.

Attachments

• Quilt long board.jpg
    Quilt long board.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 155
MAN! I'd love a uke w/that beautiful figure & grain. stunning.

Pretty wood. I could see it with a quilted maple fret board and binding. But at 4 9/16" wide I'd have to hold my breath to squeeze a tenor out of it. If that's the case, you are now asking what value it would add to a concert (or smaller) ukulele. I'd also be curious about the strength. You mentioned that wood from "The Tree" is highly valued amongst guitar builders and players. I've never heard of "the tree" but that doesn't mean anything. But it does makes me wonder how much value it would add for a ukulele player, where many would attest that koa is king. It would certainly be an upgrade option to any ukulele but I couldn't say by how much.
Good luck.

I'm sorry but this thread really is going no where and for the very good and obvious reason that you are getting the answer - no-one is really interested in over inflated prices for wood that has a figure far to large for a small ukulele. I did give you a guide in the reply to the pm you sent but this forum really isn't the best place for you to do your market research for free!!!!

.....I'm confident I can get up to $2000 in trade value or cash for the guitar sets I have . My question that no one seems to be addressing is what value such wood has, either retail or wholesale, for UKULELES.....

Who in their right mind would pay for the kind of ukulele you're talking about anyway? If you pay 1000 or 2000 or whatever for a set of wood, you can't sell for less than that amount plus some. But we can go and buy a custom Howlett or Moore or Timm or.... for a lot less than that, right?

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this thread really is going no where and for the very good and obvious reason that you are getting the answer - no-one is really interested in over inflated prices for wood that has a figure far to large for a small ukulele. I did give you a guide in the reply to the pm you sent but this forum really isn't the best place for you to do your market research for free!!!!

Wow, I didn't realize that the small one-man business luthiers out there spent money using big market research firms. My bad. Could you please forward the name of the agency you use? As for your comment regarding the wood price being over inflated, I have not been stating any price for it whatsoever, but have been ASKING for general advice on what is supposed to be a support network. Whether the price for guitar sets seems unreasonably high to you or not, there are people out there paying for it so it's apparently worth it to them. I'll be getting the wood in two days, to be used for guitar sets. The remaining wood could be cut up into pool cues and pen/pencil sets (I already know what I can get for that...probably more than I could get for ukes) OR it can be brought into the world of lutherie which seems to me to be more fitting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I want to try. The wood I am acquiring is left over pieces from cabinetry and if not bought by me would probably end up as jewelry boxes, pool cues etc... Also, although I don't expect it to change anyones response to my questions here, after I get my own guitar out of the deal, any extra "profit" or tonewoods I make out of the deal I'm hoping to use to make up an "overpriced" collectable guitar which will be sold at auction for charity. Any suggestion that I'm somehow trying to take advantage isn't appreciated.

Who in their right mind would pay for the kind of ukulele you're talking about anyway?

nobody would. That's the going rate FOR GUITAR SETS. I am under that assumption, once again, the uke sets would be for far less. I'm just seeing if I can get some idea of how much. For all I know someone has already done it with this wood and might have an answer for me. Your comments are missing the point of my post.

...but have been ASKING for general advice on what is supposed to be a support network.

OK, I'd go hit various tonewood dealers online who sell both uke and guitar sets (here's a good one), and just do the math....

I don't do a lot of guitar/uke resawing (I mostly deal in violin wood), but I usually value a high-quality uke set at 1/4 the price of a nice guitar set....

So-ooo, you've quoted "The Tree" guitar-set prices as varying from 1-5K....

So uke sets should sell for between 250.00 and 1250.00, no?.....

YMMV... ;)

Last edited:
thank you Bruce. That has been what a rough guess from the guitar folks I've been dealing with have been thinking, but with very little confidence. Of course "should" and will are quite far apart I realize.

Jay

Top Bottom