Season of the ukulele 278: "YOU CAN'T SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES"

In the 1960s a young girl (born 1942) with a wonderful low voice touched the soul of all Germans. Alexandra was on the way to start a big career, when she suddenly died 1969 only 27 yrs young in a car accident.
My friend, the tree, is dead (Mein Freund, der Baum, ist tot)

Anyone ever get that feeling when you suddenly remember a song they've been meaning to try for AAAAAAAAGES fits the theme PERFECTLY but by the time your stupid head reminds you it's already Thursday and you're booked full for the rest of the week as well as not yet having chance to record the ones you HAVE been working on all week?

I may experiencing something similar right now :)

Yep. I definitely got that feeling this week. I can definitively say that you are not getting the Lupin theme or the Ent and the Entwife from me...

This isn't a song about trees, so if you don't want to add it to the playlist, that's okay, but I thought I would do a song for you about lupines. Most of the video is a slideshow of lupines that grow here.

From Wikipedia:
Bluebonnet is a name given to any number of species of the genus Lupinus predominantly found in southwestern United States and is collectively the state flower of Texas. The shape of the petals on the flower resembles the bonnet worn by pioneer women to shield them from the sun. Species often called bluebonnets include:

Lupinus texensis, Texas bluebonnet or Texas lupine
Lupinus havardii, Big Bend bluebonnet or Chisos bluebonnet
Lupinus argenteus, silvery lupine
Lupinus concinnus, Bajada lupine
Lupinus plattensis, Nebraska lupine
Lupinus subcarnosus, sandyland bluebonnet or buffalo clover

On March 7, 1901, Lupinus subcarnosus became the only species of bluebonnet recognized as the state flower of Texas; however, Lupinus texensis emerged as the favorite of most Texans. So, in 1971, the Texas Legislature made any similar species of Lupinus that could be found in Texas the state flower.

As an extension of Lady Bird Johnson's efforts at highway beautification in the United States (see Highway Beautification Act), she encouraged the planting of native plants along Texas highways after she left the White House. Bluebonnet blooms are now a common sight along these highways in the springtime.

Here's a hastily put together original for this Season. The idea might be better than the execution here, but my intention was good.

278-8

Stop making tree jokes? I know you wish I wood. I may pull a few more jokes. If I get banned, Olive. :)

Last edited:
J. Karjalainen has done a song called Wild Lupins

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh that is a really great song!

i don't suppose you have an english translation up your sleeve at all?

NO WORRIES, I HAVE JUST TOTALLY MADE UP SOMETHING THAT IS NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL, EITHER LYRICALLY OR MUSICALLY :uhoh:

Last edited:
And this one mentions Cyprus and Sycamores

Guys!! Did you know that you can cut down a tree just by staring at it really hard?

It's true! I saw it with my own eyes!

:rofl:

Anyway, here's number three from me. Robin did it brilliantly, I dunno why I didn't think of it earlier because it's one of my favourite songs. Quite happy with how it's turned out.

And number four, which TCK beat me to (and a damn fine job he did too). One of those songs you just fall in love with the moment you hear it, and that little bridge after the verses just does things. Here's my humble attempt.

So, it looks like I actually managed it. I'm pretty chuffed with this one.

And just in case you're not completely sick of me.... number five. Had the radio on in the car yesterday and a Paul Weller song came on. Halfway through singing along with that one the thought hit me. "WHY HAVE YOU NOT DONE WILD WOOD YET YOU BLITHERING IDIOT!? IT'S BEEN ON YOUR MUST TRY LIST FOREVER!"

So last night, with my phone on perilously low battery after recording and uploading the other two, I had a quick run through. Thought it needed some work so got up early this morning and had another one before deciding it would be better to just put the lyrics up on my telly and go for it. I'm out for my niece's birthday tonight, at a wedding all day tomorrow and then have to get my flat ready to have my dad round on Sunday for a Father's Day meal. So now chance to do this song the justice it deserves but I just had to at least attempt it.

Very rough, And I'll definitely be revisiting it, but here it is.

Unfortunately my early-in-the week ideas involving System of a Down and Queens of the Stone Age proved to be a step to far. But I feel I've branched out well this week.

Top Bottom