Season 260 : Roads Girdle the Globe

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 260 : Roads Girdle the Globe

This week's theme is simple:

The song titles have to have a word like Street, Avenue, Boulevard, Road, Highway, etc. in them.

It's okay for that word to be an abbreviation, but St. has to mean "street" and not "saint" or "state". A single word that is specifically a street name is okay, such as Broadway.

For more general words, like Route, Way, Path, it has to be clear that the song is referring to a street. For example "Route 66" would be good, but a song called "I Had a Paper Route" wouldn't be okay.

Other things that are not acceptable for this week:

• Songs with the word "railroad" in the title. This week it's a street theme, not a train theme. Unless the song is called "Railroad Street".

• Just because you know of somewhere that there's a Dixie Street doesn't mean you can play "Dixie Chicken" for this week. The song "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty is okay, but that doesn't mean that Midnight Oil's "Bakerman" or PFM's "Josephine Baker" are also okay. Bob Dylan's "Positively 4th Street" is okay, Aimee Mann's "4th of July" is not. Don't try to Thornton Rule me on this, I won't put the song on the playlist.

I thought about banning the song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" for this week. I won't ban it, but please dig a little deeper. If you're the third or fourth person who plays this, my eyes and ears will probably glaze over, and I won't be giving you all the attention you deserve.

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
• The video must say that it is for the 260th Season of the Ukulele.
• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in seeing you perform a song on the ukulele.
• Original songs are always welcome.
• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 259 still has a day to go, so keep on Groundhogging.)
• The contest ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, February 12.
NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS! Your other songs don't have to go home, but they can't stay on the playlist here.
• Winners will be chosen randomly. I will probably give three t-shirts as prizes.

PLAYLIST

To start things off, this was one of my favorite songs of 2016. It's "Eliot St." by a Boston band called Quilt.

Last edited:
Assuming Government Center by the Modern Lovers is not eligible, can someone help me figure out the chords for the chorus for this song?

Great theme! The life I love is making music with my friends, and I can't wait!

I like your theme a lot. I forsee no difficulty in coming up with an entry or to. I have been following thev anticipation thread and understand your concern with theme creep. If someone wants to post a prog rock song that they have been working on for say six months or so will you have a problem with that?

This theme looks like fun. I hope I have time to record something, or even just look at videos, but I'm not sure that I will. Posting this comment has taken up all of my free time today.

Well, darn. "I Had a Paper Route" is one of my all-time favorites and I've been so meaning to cover it.

Early on in this journey I’m on, 4 weeks wandering Myanmar on motorbike, I noticed something that inspired a song. Between the towns, miles from any human homes, I’d see dogs running or lounging along the highway. Usually alone, sometimes in pairs, I thought about these animals and it sounded like a cool song lyric, “Doggies on the Highway”. As I’ve spent hour after hour riding on my motorbike, sometimes you just gotta sing to yourself as a form of entertainment. So I’ve been singing the chorus to this song, I’m a doggy on the highway, to myself for a couple weeks now. I’m so happy this week’s theme is road/street/highway songs.

I recorded this in Taungoo, one of my last stops on this epic adventure. One week left. Taungoo is a neat town. It’s a former capital and as you can see in this picture, it’s got a moat!

here.jpg

Great theme. Haven't taken part in ages, but I always check out the theme on Sunday Morning. 260, that's five times 52, right? Seasons are five years old then!

Great theme. Haven't taken part in ages, but I always check out the theme on Sunday Morning. 260, that's five times 52, right? Seasons are five years old then!

That's right! Nice catch! Five years... wow.

We miss we tigers.

Yes next week we embark on our 6th year of the seasons.
BTW there are some real fine Magnetic Fields songs that fit this week real well. WeTigers would do them sooo well.

To Seasonistas everywhere:

:worship:

:shaka:

:rock:

:smileybounce:

Uncle Dave Macon was a teamster for over 30 years. The automobile forced his mule powered freight service out of business in 1920. He started performing professionally when he was over fifty and quickly became the first star of the Grand Ole Opry!

I like your theme a lot. I forsee no difficulty in coming up with an entry or to. I have been following thev anticipation thread and understand your concern with theme creep. If someone wants to post a prog rock song that they have been working on for say six months or so will you have a problem with that?

You're welcome to post it. I'd love to hear it. I may add it onto the prog playlist from a previous Season instead of this Season's playlist if it doesn't fit this Season.

Assuming Government Center by the Modern Lovers is not eligible, can someone help me figure out the chords for the chorus for this song?

Here's a link to all the chords in the song. You can also transpose the chords with a button on the left edge.

Top Bottom