Soprano vs Concert vs Baritone?

rizzice

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about switching my Soprano Uke for a concert size, but at the same time, I'm really interested in getting a Baritone..

Does anyone know if I'll hear significant difference in tone from a baritone to a concert, or would it be a good idea to eventually invest in both?

Also, I know concert ukes are larger than soprano, but do they have the same sound? My soprano just feels so incredibly tiny and difficult to play sometimes.

There will probably be a noticeable difference in tone between the soprano and the concert. The concert will probably sound larger, fuller, and have a bit more bass range in the overall tone. That's not necessarily good or bad, just a personal preference. If you like the traditional plinky-plinky sound of a soprano, you'll generally lose a bit of that on a concert (depending on the brand).

You'll definitely be able to tell a difference between a soprano and a baritone. Same reasons, but a greater difference.

Here's a video you might find helpful: Ukulele size comparisons.

Keep in mind that between the sizes, it's not just the differences in size, but also the difference is fret spacing. Again, there are advantages and disadvantages to each size. Sopranos have less space, so it can seem difficult to squeeze your fingers in. However because of the same reason, it's easy to stretch your fingers over several frets. The opposite is true as the ukes get larger.

Jason

Baritones are actually tuned differently to sopranos, concerts and tenors.
They are tuned to DGBE, which is the 4 high strings of a guitar. So it will sound lower and deeper than the other ukes, kinda like a classical guitar.

The chord shapes remain the same, but the chords themselves become transposed.
Find a baritone uke chord chart. The adjustment is not that hard.

Baritones are actually tuned differently to sopranos, concerts and tenors.
They are tuned to DGBE, which is the 4 high strings of a guitar. So it will sound lower and deeper than the other ukes, kinda like a classical guitar.
You can get a GCEA set as well.

Is there a reason you wouldn't consider a tenor over a baritone? They are tuned the same as soprano/concert.
As a choice, I'd go with the tenor. I love my baritone but the longer stretch for chords requires some effort and I can't play many songs as well as on any tenor I own.

Top Bottom