WTB Opio Sapele Tenor

AmyDee

Reaction score
I'm looking for an Opio Tenor made of Sapele - sometimes called "African Mahogany."

A friend let me strum his, and I've fallen desperately, hopelessly in love with it. But alas, it belongs to another.

Does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

I too have a love of this ukulele. In fact it was my first. While my eye has since wondered to embrace others, I can say it is still my first love.
A friend went to the KoAloha factory a few months ago and reported that they had opio sapeles in the discount rack called B stock. You might want to call KoAloha in Honolulu to see if they have one for sale. It would be cheaper than the Craigslist seller.

I have an Opio Sapele Tenor (not selling it) and I think there were finish issues. Mine was a B Stock from Mim and it had spider cracks in the finish. It does not bother the sound of the instrument one bit. It also has the “dead” (not really) C string...and I still love it.

I also bought an Opio Acacia Concert (from rubykey, I believe!) which I also love. I sold my Pono Pro Classic Tenor to buy it.

My “sweet spot” would probably be a 16” scale instrument (Conner? Tenert?) but that is probably a silly thing to wish for. (Note: it turns out the Kamoa Grand Concert Just reviewed by Barry Mac has these measurements).

I don’t have...nor do I need...two Opio tenors to compare, but I do believe that the Sapele is a louder wood. I believe this enough that if a Opio Sapele Concert popped up in the UU marketplace for a good deal, I might very well bite the bullet and buy it.

And of course, a Koa Concert is on my to-buy list...but I’m working on paying off other debt right now (newer iPad Pro). At the Minnesota Ukulele Gathering last weekend, a local was selling their Opio Acacia Soprano, and that was REALLY nice, too. Such a non-soprano sound for a soprano. I had my S1 with me, and my Opio Concert...so I heard it.

At the same time, don’t hesitate to buy a new Acacia model of the Opio Tenor. I am sure that it is possible not to like the KoAloha sound...but it you do, they are all good.

Last edited:
I too have a love of this ukulele. In fact it was my first. While my eye has since wondered to embrace others, I can say it is still my first love.
A friend went to the KoAloha factory a few months ago and reported that they had opio sapeles in the discount rack called B stock. You might want to call KoAloha in Honolulu to see if they have one for sale. It would be cheaper than the Craigslist seller.

Thank you, I'll give them a call.

I have an Opio Sapele Tenor (not selling it) and I think there were finish issues. Mine was a B Stock from Mim and it had spider cracks in the finish. It does not bother the sound of the instrument one bit. It also has the “dead” (not really) C string...and I still love it.

I also bought an Opio Acacia Concert (from rubykey, I believe!) which I also love. I sold my Pono Pro Classic Tenor to buy it.

My “sweet spot” would probably be a 16” scale instrument (Conner? Tenert?) but that is probably a silly thing to wish for. (Note: it turns out the Kamoa Grand Concert Just reviewed by Barry Mac has these measurements).

I don’t have...nor do I need...two Opio tenors to compare, but I do believe that the Sapele is a louder wood. I believe this enough that if a Opio Sapele Concert popped up in the UU marketplace for a good deal, I might very well bite the bullet and buy it.

And of course, a Koa Concert is on my to-buy list...but I’m working on paying off other debt right now (newer iPad Pro). At the Minnesota Ukulele Gathering last weekend, a local was selling their Opio Acacia Soprano, and that was REALLY nice, too. Such a non-soprano sound for a soprano. I had my S1 with me, and my Opio Concert...so I heard it.

At the same time, don’t hesitate to buy a new Acacia model of the Opio Tenor. I am sure that it is possible not to like the KoAloha sound...but it you do, they are all good.

I may end up with an Acaia, but thought I'd try to find a Sapele first. I know the Acacia will be a wonderful instrument, just wasn't sure if it would appeal to me as much as the Sapele does.

I may end up with an Acaia, but thought I'd try to find a Sapele first. I know the Acacia will be a wonderful instrument, just wasn't sure if it would appeal to me as much as the Sapele does.

To be honest I was rather disappointed with the Acacia model after playing the Sapele model. Your mileage may vary but I wouldn't recommend buying the Acacia model sight unseen.

They really need to make the Sapele model again. If they had issues other than the so called "Dead" note then they should sort it out but honestly I didn't notice the "dead" note until I went looking for it and otherwise it was a great, expressive instrument.

I called the vendor, Cymbalism, and found out that they don't have any older models in stock. He said they order them from KoAloha as their customers buy them, so they would be getting whatever the current models are being shipped by the manufacturer. Bummer. So I'll keep watching here and the other online sources for one of the older models.

These "WTB" ads on the UU Marketplace Forum really work! I posted this request back in November. I followed up on the leads I got, but unfortunately couldn't find what I was looking for. Then, I got a message reply in February, but hadn't logged into UU in awhile so I didn't see it until yesterday. Turns out a dealer in Honolulu had gotten in an Opio Sapele Tenor in on a trade, and he had searched through the UU forum for a buyer. I was worried that it would be gone already, but fortunately he hadn't sold it yet. We finalized the deal last night and I am looking forward to delivery next week. I just wanted to share my positive experience with you all.

So cool, congratulations! My Sapele Opio Tenor might be my favorite player. Please let us know how you like yours when it arrives.

So cool, congratulations! My Sapele Opio Tenor might be my favorite player. Please let us know how you like yours when it arrives.

Thank you, and nice to meet another fan of this model. What brand strings to you use on yours? Do you have it strung as High g or Low G?

Thank you, and nice to meet another fan of this model. What brand strings to you use on yours? Do you have it strung as High g or Low G?

I love the original stock strings from KoAloha. From what I understand, they are Worth Clear, all unwound, low G. If I have to replace the stock strings, this will be the set I'll use.

I love the original stock strings from KoAloha. From what I understand, they are Worth Clear, all unwound, low G. If I have to replace the stock strings, this will be the set I'll use.

Thanks for the information. I just ordered a set.

Goo to know you are getting your sapele Opio tenor.

I have the soprano, and love my Living Waters strings on it in high g.

Top Bottom