SoCal Inland Empire Ukulele Festival 0504/10...

ricdoug

Reaction score
Vista (North County San Diego), California
Ukulele Festival on Tuesday May 4, 2010.

A few of us are heading up there for the festivities. Carol Bonomo and I
attended last year. There were clubs from all around the southern California
area. We represented the Ukulele Society of America (the only San Diego area
group attending) playing Makaha Valley as a duet. There were children groups,
hula troops, clubs, guest stars and individual performers. Mitch Chang of the
Southern California Slack Key Festival performed slack key on the Ukulele.

It started with each group playing a couple of representative songs and then
rotating to the next group. All this was while seated! Then a large buffet style
Island lunch (more than you could eat!) with deserts and drinks, too! This was
followed by a guest performer.

At the entrance, there was a signup sheet for the open mic following the guest
performer. I'll have to admit it was probaly the most enjoyment I've had for $10
bucks in a long time! See y'all there. If enough of us attend, we can perform
seated as the Ukulele Society of America. Thanks to Ernie Pruden for making us
aware of this event. Ric Douglas (760)458-6656

Eighth Annual Inland Empire Ukulele Festival
Tuesday May 4, 2010 - 9:30am to 3:30pm
22633 Barton Road
Grand Terrace, California 92313
$10 bucks includes lunch
Bring your ukulele and music stand
Open mic and performances!
Clubs invited
Ukulele and Music vendors
Call (909)796-8934 to reserve your tickets

I'm new to the Uke,but I live right down the street,see Ya there!
Bob

The Loma Linda Stummers Ukulele Club is putting on this Festival. It is a fun filled day. A great time to be had by all.
Tickets go fast.
Ernie

Sounds like fun! And only $10 including lunch is a real bargain. :drool:

But on a Tuesday? Why wouldn't they hold it on a weekend when more people could attend?

itsme, trust me, find a way to get that day off fast! This event is HUGE and will sell out well before it's scheduled. EVEN ON A TUESDAY! It's the same every year. I went last year it was packed full, but very well organized and everyone got a seat. The island cuisine was superb and bountifull. In addition, there were plenty of other foodstuffs like pizza and fried chicken. Ric

Make sure to call in advance for ticketes:

(909)796-8934

as they usually sell out. Here's some articles from past Inland Empire Ukulele Festivals:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_B_bspot09.3f92af5.html

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sanbernardino/stories/PE_News_Local_D_uke05.d642b12.html

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sanbernardino/stories/PE_News_Local_D_uke05.d642b12.html

This was last year's shedule:

May 5, 2009, Tuesday, 9: 00am to 3:00 pm
Loma Linda Ukulele Strummers will be sponsoring the SEVENTH ANNUAL INLAND EMPIRE UKULELE FESTIVAL
at the Azure Hills Seventh-day Adventist Church
22633 Barton Road
Grand Terrace, CA 92313.
Clubs from Hemet, Crestline, Rialto, Redlands, Cerritos and Yucaipa will be performing, as well as a third grade class of children.
Our Featured Artist will be ORLANDO PALITANG.
Bring your Ukulele and enjoy the day. More information call Dr. Joan Revel in Loma Linda 909 796-8934

Hey, I will see you there! It will be my first Uke Fest, so it's very exciting. I will have a table there too, in case anybody needs a "Uke Leash"... I will have 10 colors to choose from in the polypro, and 2 leather colors as well. Stop by and say Hi! I love to meet UU folks!

–Lori

I will try to attend next year, but we are going out of town on Monday, pity!

Do u need to reserve tickets? Or can u just show up and pay to enter?

After Fest Gig in Silverlake

This fest sounds awesome! I wish I'd known about it more in advance...
if any of you get home to the LA area and want to hear even more ukulele, I'm playing tonight in Silverlake at El Cid (4212 Sunset - 8:30pm), it's an event called 'chicks with picks' and both myself and the woman playing after me are playing some original uke tunes.
Would love to meet some people from the forum!
~Mandalyn

I was there.

Nothing quite like hearing 200+ people singing along to You Are My Sunshine.

Many uke groups showed up in force. Most had between 6 and 12 people. The organizers had the groups sit together around a big room. When it was the next group's turn to perform, they moved the boom mics instead of the music groups. Great idea. Lots of Hawaiian shirts and dresses, hula, humor, and food.

Photos

I was there.

Nothing quite like hearing 200+ people singing along to You Are My Sunshine.

Many uke groups showed up in force. Most had between 6 and 12 people. The organizers had the groups sit together around a big room. When it was the next group's turn to perform, they moved the boom mics instead of the music groups. Great idea. Lots of Hawaiian shirts and dresses, hula, humor, and food.

What a great gathering of ukulele enthusiasts! Everyone was very friendly, and even though I couldn't be in the performance room (I was at a vendor table), I could tell that it was a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to have a close up concert from the very talented Keoki Ariola! So, I might have had a back seat to part of the festival performances, but I got a better-than-front-row performance from Keoki.

Thanks Harold, for helping me out at the table! What a great surprise, and a huge help!! You were a lifesaver.

Several UU folks stop by and said hi! It was a really nice afternoon, and the traffic wasn't too bad either. I sold some Uke Leashes too! My new Makala Dolphin in bright blue got a lot of attention too. I bet I could have sold a few of those today, if I had the inventory with me.

–Lori

Attachments

• InlandEmpire–Har&#11.jpg
    InlandEmpire–Har&#11.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ukeleash_empire..jpg
    ukeleash_empire..jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 9
  • inlandempirefest&.jpg
    inlandempirefest&.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8
  • inlandempire_ven&#.jpg
    inlandempire_ven&#.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 8
It was an awesome fest! I met Harrold O (we mwt earlier on a few years ago at the museum of Making Music) MeanGreenUker (fellow Devil Dog), Bounderx2 (Ernie introduced me to this great festival), Lori Uke sling (I bought a black leather one. I must also state that Lori is one hot babe!), Mitch Chang, Huckleberry and many other UU'ers there! Ric

Top Bottom