::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
• Most writers and editors make an exception for biblical and classical proper names ending in s. Traditionally, only an apostrophe is added to such names: Moses’ law, Xerxes’ army. However, the influential Chicago Manual of Style recently ruled against this odd policy and started recommending Moses’s, Xerxes’s, etc.

https://data.grammarbook.com/blog/apostrophes/apostrophes-and-proper-nouns/

There certainly is a lot of conflicting information out there.

• Most writers and editors make an exception for biblical and classical proper names ending in s. Traditionally, only an apostrophe is added to such names: Moses’ law, Xerxes’ army. However, the influential Chicago Manual of Style recently ruled against this odd policy and started recommending Moses’s, Xerxes’s, etc.

https://data.grammarbook.com/blog/apostrophes/apostrophes-and-proper-nouns/

There certainly is a lot of conflicting information out there.

As an English teacher from California, we predominately use MLA.

There is necessarily a lot of discrepancy between the different schools of writing because otherwise they couldn't sell their manuals. The change a few rules every few years to generate sales as well.

Quite the racket.

I figure whatever makes meaning more concise.

I'm a fan of the Oxford comma because of that.

You got it wrong this time grammar queen.

James' is also acceptable. If it were possessive plural I'd have to do it your way. The James's have invited us over to dinner.

I hate to say it...I agree with Gary on this one, though I had a professor who always got pissy when I'd use Jesus' in a paper, I was able to show her that I was, at least, correct in the usage, even if it was a format she didn't like.

As an English teacher from California, we predominately use MLA.

There is necessarily a lot of discrepancy between the different schools of writing because otherwise they couldn't sell their manuals. The change a few rules every few years to generate sales as well.

Quite the racket.

My old school also used MLA - though I believe they changed the rule from the lone apostrophe to apostrophe + s in version 7. I refused the 's in singular possessive for names ending in s (including my own last name!) because it is awkward to read and awkward to say out loud, style manuals be damned.

My old school also used MLA - though I believe they changed the rule from the lone apostrophe to apostrophe + s in version 7. I refused the 's in singular possessive for names ending in s (including my own last name!) because it is awkward to read and awkward to say out loud, style manuals be damned.

Probably why s' is allowed still.

Rough one today, fighting with getting a CITES shipment approved. Matt has been pissed at us all week stemming a video game altercation (as usual). This evening, he and Tookta had a long talk that turned into being about stuff he'd been feeling and holding in, they both cried a lot. Exhausting.

Rough one today, fighting with getting a CITES shipment approved. Matt has been pissed at us all week stemming a video game altercation (as usual). This evening, he and Tookta had a long talk that turned into being about stuff he'd been feeling and holding in, they both cried a lot. Exhausting.

But cathartic.

You should schedule massages for you and Tookta tomorrow.

Buying a house is exhausting. I don’t want to do this again.

And we haven’t even started working on the move.

So both ways are acceptable?
Kids sounds like much ado about nothing?

So awkward.

I'm trying to invite one of James' classmates to try out for his club basketball team but I don't know the mom's name so it starts out with "Dear Anthony's Mother"

I taught her younger sisters and I've talked to her a few times but we really never introduced ourselves to each other.

I'm going to sign it "James' Dad"

When I was a kid I was uncomfortable calling my friends' parents by their first names even if they asked. My friend Pete's mom became known - to this day -
as "Mrs. Peter's Mom"

But once it’s done you’ll never have to do it again.

Never say never!
I am hoping I never have to look for a job again.
We had a company meeting today.
Things are good at the company.
We had a little party at Lucky Strike, and the Senior Vice President said "Drinks on me!" and paid the bar tab on his personal card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom