Season 258 Hottest 2,300

robinboyd

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This Thursday will be Australia Day. Each year on Australia Day, an Australian radio station called Triple J counts down its most popular songs of the year as voted by the listeners. They call this list the "Hottest 100." It's not your usual "top of the pops" stuff, and I think it tends to reflect my taste in music a little bit. Your challenge is to take a song from the hottest 100 of any year and perform it. They've been holding this since 1993, so there should be 2,300 songs for you to choose from (not counting the all-time countdowns they do from time to time).

You can find an archive of previous years' countdowns here.

If you are a song-writer and are able to take inspiration from this theme in any way, I will accept your entry.

Rules:
Limit of 1 song (but I will give you an extra song if you perform one from THIS year's count down after it is announced on Thursday)
Please list the year and position in the countdown
Must be a new recording
Uke must be prominent
Multitracking allowed

Prizes:
Grand prize: The song that tickles my fancy the most. It will be a CD of selected songs from this year's countdown. I will pre-order it straight away and they will deliver it when it is published.

Bonus prize 1: There was a song that was disqualified a few years ago because it had never been played on Triple J, but would have been voted in as number 4. People had been voting for it as a protest against Triple J being so snobby about music. The first person to play this song will get an as-yet undetermined prize. (This song will not count towards your song limit).

Bonus prize 2: The first person to guess and play my vote for no. 1 in this year's countdown (if it gets in the top 100). The only hint I'm giving is that it's not my usual taste in music. I'll also let you know if it makes it in the top 100 on Thursday. I'll also work out this prize if anyone actually wins it. (This song will not count towards your song limit if you get it right, although if you guess wrong, then it will). UPDATE: This bonus is in play. The song in question is somewhere in the top 50.

Playlist

EDIT:

Hi guys. I'm keeping up and it looks like a slow work week for me, so I'll give you an an extra song. However, the extra song may not be from any of the "all-time" lists. It must be from one of the annual lists that began in 1993. So the 3 allowable entries are as follows.
1. Any listed song
2. Only from annual lists (not all-time lists)
3. Must be from this year's countdown, which will be released on January 26th.

Last edited:
This will be a huge introduction to songs that will be new to me. Sounds fun Robyn!

By the way, I probably didn't emphasise it enough in my first post, but please click on the link to the archive. It will not only list songs from each year, but if you follow your nose, it will let you search by artist and song title, and link you to youtube videos of the actual song, so you can have a listen if you're not familiar with it. You shouldn't have to rely on Google at all.

Robin, this is a GREAT theme! Australia Day also happens to be my birthday, too ... :)

Triple J started off as Double J in Sydney, on the AM band back in about 1974. I was just out of the army and had a brand new stereo amplifier/ receiver. If the conditions were right you could pick it up down here in Victoria. I used to try to listen in at 6:15 or so each evening to hear "Chicken Man". Anyone else remember it?

wow! That is quite a challenge...already found some tracks which would be of my personal interest.....good call, Robin!!!

I hope you guys like Courtney Barnett, because I'm covering another one of her songs this week!

Wow you rock, Robin (you are the "rockin' robin")! I've had a song in mind to do, and, surprisingly, and somewhat miraculously, it's on the list! It was one that I nearly did for YorkSteve's "17" Season, but I'd already done three.

added: And I like the one video limit, (with the plus video on Thursday). I know I'm on record as favoring a one or two video limit in the Seasons, and, even if I get in trouble, I'll say it again: I think it encourages quality over quantity, and it gives us a chance to hear more peoples' work. (sounds extra disingenuous after saying I did three in Steve's season! Hehe)

Last edited:
Blimey. Kylie Minogue gets in, but not Joe Strummer. What do Australians listen to?!!! ; -)

I hope you guys like Courtney Barnett, because I'm covering another one of her songs this week!

I like her much better as a songwriter than as a singer, which makes her a perfect candidate to cover!

Wow LOTS of songs I listened to myself over those years!
I hope I can get one done, been really tied up with life lately.

This playlist has the potential to be amazing and well, right now we protest things in the US. I will be the first to protest the song limit because well, I always protest limits. Then I will play ten anyway. Great theme here after some browsing.

Remember you get a bonus song after Thursday, so it's 2 songs really. I'll see how I'm going with keeping up and I might re-think the limit later in the week.

With these songs- I am still going to play ten. What a playlist!!!! Especially the nineties stuff. I am right back in college on my radio show. I will sulk over on the island if need be ;) Just busting your chops mate.

With these songs- I am still going to play ten. What a playlist!!!! Especially the nineties stuff. I am right back in college on my radio show. I will sulk over on the island if need be ;) Just busting your chops mate.

I know what you mean. It's the sound of my youth! The inspiration for this one was because I keep playing songs from really high up in these lists and then everyone says "I've never heard that before." I think that even happened with a song that went number 1! Anyway, I just wanted to introduce some more people to this stuff.

Anyway, there's no reason we can't revisit it at some point in the future.

Top Bottom