Song Help Request Kona Days - Kalapana

uke671

Reaction score
just need help on the first two chords. I picked up the chords from Tropical Storm Hawaii. the first two chords call for D and Dmaj7. The Dmaj7 doesn't sound right....does anybody out there play it differently from the chords listed on Tropical Storm Hawaii? the chord progression for the verse is D-Dmaj7-D7-G-D-A7-G-A7-D-D7.

It all sounds on point except for that Dmaj7. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just played it in that key and sounds ok to me. I always play it in C Cmaj7 C7 and pretty much flows. I don't remember what chord it was originally recorded in but then again I can't sing like Malani . . .

Last edited:
just need help on the first two chords. I picked up the chords from Tropical Storm Hawaii. the first two chords call for D and Dmaj7. The Dmaj7 doesn't sound right....does anybody out there play it differently from the chords listed on Tropical Storm Hawaii? the chord progression for the verse is D-Dmaj7-D7-G-D-A7-G-A7-D-D7.

If you're playing D 2220 it'll sound a little off.

Try:

D 2225
Dmaj7 2224
D7 2223
G 0232

That'll give you that nice half-stepping-downward action, cuz then you're moving one fret down the A string at a time.

Hey Uke671.....I tried the song out and it sounds okay with the Dmaj7. If you do find a chord that you think is better, please email me, I will try it out and I will make the change if needed. I am a moderator on TSH and can make changes as needed. On that same note, please go back to TSH and reprint your song. I fixed some of the lyrics that were typed wrong in the song. Aloha, Dino

Top Bottom